No announcement yet.

Motor fully size for Craftsman/Atlas 12 inch lathe... I want to make one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks - that seems like a bargain for what you get. How hard is it to adapt to the motor bracket? Do you have any photos of this on your lathe? I'd like to see how you did it. Unless I missed it, the ebay description does not mention that it has reverse. That is one reason I'd like to upgrade. Are you sure this one has reverse? Thanks, Steve

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchf View Post
      T... does not mention that it has reverse. That is one reason I'd like to upgrade. Are you sure this one has reverse?
      The chuck is threaded to the spindle and has no retainer. Be careful spinning it backwards or it might come off. Also, you should have a tumbler gear that will rotate the lead screw in reverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post
        The chuck is threaded to the spindle and has no retainer. Be careful spinning it backwards or it might come off. Also, you should have a tumbler gear that will rotate the lead screw in reverse.
        Yes, good point. My only use would be for occasionally cutting metric threads when i'd need to keep the half nut closed and run in reverse to rewind the carriage back to the starting point.

Comment

I believe there is a drawing for several of the pulleys on the Atlas Craftsman yahoo group site. You might want to join.

[email protected]

Also many of the other parts being discussed.
          Last edited by J Tiers; 10-26-2016, 03:42 PM.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchf View Post
            Yes, good point. My only use would be for occasionally cutting metric threads when i'd need to keep the half nut closed and run in reverse to rewind the carriage back to the starting point.
            That may be the case on some lathes, but on my 12" Atlas when the gearing is set up to cut metric threads and the lead screw is designed for inch threads, moving the tumbler lever (and tumbler gears) loses the proper relationship between spindle and carriage. Thus the need to reverse the motor, or manually hand crank the spindle backwards to rewind the carriage to its starting position. I don't cut metric threads often, but having a reversible motor would make it easier.

Comment

Working...
            X