Crazy Imperial Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Imperial Thread

I have a beautiful USA made printing press. On the doctor blade holders is a row of slotted screws which we measure to 9/64"
    1/8BSW or UNC is too small 5/32 is too big. Can somebody recommend a supplier for these. We are 99% metric here so the fastening suppler spent ages trying to help but came up with nothing
    he talked about dash 6 screws but only had a dash8 so we were none the wiser on that

The major diameter on the threads is 0.132".

thanks
    My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Will any thread pitch be OK?
    Kansas City area

Comment

A #6 screw is .138 diameter. The pitch is either 32 or 40 threads/inch. The minimum OD is .1312 inches.

Comment

Ok Thanks that gave me some direction, to a place I didn't want to go but need to
        Cheers

Comment

If it IS a #6, it is one of the MOST COMMON screw sizes available for small machine screws.

The #6 32tpi, #8 32tpi, and #10 24 tpi are common, as is #10 32 tpi. They are usually denoted respectively as 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, and 10-32.

I have some taps and dies for very odd ones... like 5/16-48, and any number of peculiar gun threads, threads used in indicators, etc, etc. Used some, and have even had to buy some I didn't have while fixing the Rivett 608.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Look up special tap sizes in a good tool catalog. MSC, MCMaster, etc.

Victor Machinery who has had ads here will make what you need for a price, but does stock a lot of oddball stuff.

Then, if you need, you can make your own screws.
            gvasale

Comment

Why don't you just retap to next largest common size that you have available locally?

I do that alot dealing with metric over here.
              Many times the tap only removes a small amount of metal, but gives me a very serviceable thread.
              6 female threads is all you need to be strong enough to break off most bolts when tightening.

Comment

Originally posted by yf View Post
                6 female threads is all you need to be strong enough to break off most bolts when tightening.
                I have confirmed this with some really nice grade 8.8 metric M6 bolts in aluminum and helicoiled aluminum. I had to first drill out all but about 4 threads before the aluminum would strip before the M6 snapped (around 20ft-lbs torque)
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by yf View Post
                  Why don't you just retap to next largest common size that you have available locally?

I do that alot dealing with metric over here.
                  Many times the tap only removes a small amount of metal, but gives me a very serviceable thread.
                  this would require tapping 81 holes at a 60 degree angle

Comment

They are 6-32 thanks. Common is the US not common here. The difficulty I had was converting the size to the number 6 I can understand things like 3/8-20 but the 6 caught me out

Comment

6-32 is the standard thread size for mounting internal 3.5" computer hard drives, even in metricland. (but not 2.5" drives).

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post
                        They are 6-32 thanks. Common is the US not common here. The difficulty I had was converting the size to the number 6 I can understand things like 3/8-20 but the 6 caught me out
                        This is the formula:

Diameter = Screw Size # × 0.013" + 0.060"

or

Screw Size # = (Diameter - 0.060") ÷ 0.013

Comment

All sorted thanks everyone, screws will be here on Monday, also had to get another crazy size 4-40 1/4 csk cap screw, I seem to have got the hang of this now.

Comment

In the same vein we have bought about 200 countersunk screws for our Mig 17 restoration project only to find they do not fit the countersinks in the aircraft skin. It seems these are 90 degree screws and we need 100 degree!

Comment

I can't believe Russia would not use American/UK "Western" standard screw dimensions for their screws...

Comment

Working...
                              X