New SB 10K Lathe <$4K - worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SB 10K Lathe <$4K - worth it?

Ya, back with another lathe option... Based on cumulative opinions this seems like a smart move. Agree?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10K-...h-Lathe/SB1002

Lots of people have opinions on these lathes, but I've yet to see much on the internet from anyone who has actually owned one. We received an article a few months back in which the author picked up two partial units from Grizzly to rebuild. His article covers the rebuild and also compares the new lathe with the old 10K. It's going to be a while before we can get the article into print, but if you would like to send me an email I can forward it along to the author. No promises he will reply, but he knows the lathe inside and out.

I've only skimmed the article at this point, but it looked to me like it was a decent lathe.
    George

Comment

You are paying a high premium for the South Bend name on an imported lathe. It is pretty bare bones. Why Grizzly chose to market a version of the 10K and not the Heavy Ten is beyond me.

A much better value for the same price is the Grizzly 12" gunsmith lathe. It has a bigger swing, longer between centers, a much better tooling package and includes the base.

I have no experience with either machine, but the gunsmith lathe seems well received.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x...g-Lathe/G0750G
      Jim H.

Comment

Interesting. Guess it's not the no-brainer I thought it might be. Didn't know it was an import (in hindsight, makes sense it is), and then at $4K, a number of other possibilities come in to play.

Comment

Absolutely agree with Mr.Hannum. The "gunsmith" has a bigger through hole, a separate drive for feeds (apparently) and any attachments will be easily gotten at less than heritage prices.

Comment

The "gunsmith" lathe also has about a 2 -3x thicker bed. It isn't really a "version" of the one in the first link, it's very different.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Grizzly IS marketing a "Heavy 10" but the saddle looks as small as the one on the 10 x 22!
              http://www.grizzly.com/products/Heav...d-Lathe/SB1007

Though not available for shipping as yet, the price is no attraction either.

Well, I'm more than likely talking through my butt...it might be a very capable machine.
              If I were Grizzly I'd get it into somebodies hands for a full, independent review.
              Last edited by QSIMDO; 02-26-2016, 10:04 AM.
              Len

Comment

Wow that gunsmith lathe is a lot of machine for the $$

Comment

The gunsmith lathe would be my choice for the money. A friend has a 14" Grizzly gunsmith lathe and is very happy with it.

Comment

I was told by a Logan collector the 10" Logan bed is the same as the old South Bend Heavy 10.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      I was told by a Logan collector the 10" Logan bed is the same as the old South Bend Heavy 10.
                      It still ain't so. They are very different.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

If I bought a Grizzly I'd buy this as it would be much more ridgid G0509G.
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

$4k for a spindle hole of .86"?
                          -Roland
                          Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

I have been down the route, but now I am on the last lap!

I have owned, and run lathes and mills from many countries. Now that I am retired and building a new shop I have the chance to be choosy. So far I have a British lathe Colchester Bantam from about 1964 An American lathe Southbend 9" of about 1965, a "Baby" mill drill, An Austrian made EMCO of about 1990, I have given away a Busy Bee 12 by 37 lathe which I have used for over 20 yrs, but never really liked. I think I am on the track of a good big mill, but if that does not pan out I will keep my Busy Bee(Chinese or Taiwanese) Mill as my big machine, the quill fit is poor but otherwise it seems a fair piece of kit. I would like all new equipment but , like many on here, I have to be fairly careful with my dollars, I want value in my purchases. I would not spend 4K on a relatively unknown small machine. Regards David Powell

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
                              $4k for a spindle hole of .86"?
                              Roland, hows the golf course mower blade sharpening tool you invented going, sure looked like a winner to me & I was just curious.
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X