X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony
    • Oct 2002

Heidenhain VRZ - anyone familiar?

Can't make heads or tails of my DRO, which is making troubleshooting a pain in the rear.
    It's a Heidenhain VRZ 720B, 3 axis, on a mill. Looks like this:

I had a Heidenhain 2 axis before this and it was just: turn it on, go to work. This one appears to be more complicated.

I have not been able to find a user manual that actually explains how to use it.

On start-up, all 3 axis displays blink. I think this means they're not referenced? If I click through XYZ and hit the
    REF button the blinking stops and Y axis will work but the decimals blink on X a Z and the DROs there don't count up/down.

But I can't get the REF light to turn off after that.

I think I've tried everything everything, even swapped X and Y scales, but still can't make heads/tails of it.

I get a feeling like I'm missing a step or setup parameter on startup. Tomorrow I'm going to try to clean the
    actual scales themselves. Z is toast (broken reader head), but the other two look okay.. and after some combination
    of button smashing they seem to read.

Any help appreciated.

This may be a moot point as I may need to 'upgrade' (to chinese) the DRO.. replacing the 3rd (Z) scale with
    an original Heidenhain looks like it'll cost more than just going with a whole new set.

Thanks!
  • Jaakko Fagerlund
    • Dec 2010

Hold on, I'll come back to this as we have the same thing at work with 2 axes, functioning and I think it has the manual also, but have to check.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

• MrSleepy
      • May 2006

I have the 2 axis version .... the blinking display indicates a power failure (turned off) and each channel has to be selected in turn and "REF" 'd to start with.

I think this is your manual http://content.heidenhain.de/doku/om...b/24646401.pdf

Rob
      Last edited by MrSleepy; 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM. Reason: added manual link

Comment

• Tony
        • Oct 2002

Hmm that's interesting.. looks like the reader is waiting for a reference mark. IE turn on DRO, hit "REF", move axis until
        reader detects reference mark.

The other one I had did not do that. I'll have to fiddle with the parameters to see if I can turn that off. One of the scales
        is too long for it's axis, wonder if 1) the ref mark is out of range or 2) these scales don't have reference marks.

That PDF makes reference to a "Pilot" manual, google turns up a hit on the PM forum that references that same manual
        as the actual user manual (vs installation manual) -- anyone know where to find one?

Thanks for your help MrSleepy!
        Jaakko -- standing by for any tips / feedback you might have!

Thanks.

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
          • Dec 2010

If the numbers blink, there is an issue with your cables, connectors or reader heads, either faulty, broken or disconnected / loose connection. Try clearing it by pushing REF, multiple times if necessary, but if it doesn't go away, then you have a hardware problem.

Some encoders do not have reference marks

Comment

• MrSleepy
            • May 2006

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
            If the numbers blink, there is an issue with your cables, connectors or reader heads, either faulty, broken or disconnected / loose connection.
            No..It indicates you have cycled/interrupted the power supply.. Every time I turn mine on the display blinks, as its supposed to according to the manual.

Rob

Comment

• MrSleepy
              • May 2006

Tony .. while looking for the pilot manual for my 710 , I found the one for yours..

most of them can be found here..

Rob

Comment

• Tony
                • Oct 2002

Thank you!

Comment

• Jaakko Fagerlund
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrSleepy View Post
                  No..It indicates you have cycled/interrupted the power supply.. Every time I turn mine on the display blinks, as its supposed to according to the manual.

Rob
                  Yes, everything blinks on power up. But if an encoder cable is disconnected, that specific axis starts blinking to indicate a problem with connections. Easily tested by disconnecting a cable while powered on.

Comment

Working...
                  X