X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spindowner
    • Sep 2014

Make a female thread for a 2 liter Pepsi bottle male thread

I would like to make a female thread in a block of aluminum to accept the male thread of a 2 liter Pepsi bottle. The male thread appears to be 1.080" at 10tpi. Any recommendations. Thanks Paul
  • GEP
    • Jan 2013

Use the shape of the thread on the bottle to grind the tool bit i am sure it does not have to be as accurate as machine thread. If you do the project make me one

Comment

• 1-800miner
      • May 2010

Talk to Custom Thread Grinding. Kernville California. Dennis is the owner.
      He does all the masters for the bottle companies.

Comment

• RussZHC
        • Mar 2010

No real advice.

I am always surprised, though I don't know why I should be, how few threads are involved in many items like those bottles, few threads, don't look really precise, not even complete helix/spirals. Came across one food stuff bottle the other day that was far more cut away, the thread was interrupted around the point of the thread, than thread and even then no issues doing its job.

Comment

• TriHonu
          • Feb 2009

The threads are standardized by the International Society of Beverage Technologists.
          They have detailed specs available in PDF format. Take a look at http://www.bevtech.org/threadspecs-downloads.asp

Comment

• kitno455
            • Aug 2011

I did this recently, to make stomp rocket launchers for cub scouts. The bottle is the bellows, and after 10-15 stomps they break. The scouts can screw the bottle on and off themselves without help, instead of the old units which used duct tape to attach the bottles.

Anyway, about 8-10 years ago, most US beverage makers changed from imperial to metric threads. They are now 27.4mm OD and the pitch is 2.7mm. I had to setup a compound gear set on my lathe to make that pitch.

allan

Comment

• Joel
              • Jun 2001

Originally posted by RussZHC View Post
              not even complete helix/spirals. Came across one food stuff bottle the other day that was far more cut away, the thread was interrupted around the point of the thread, than thread and even then no issues doing its job.
              This is because they are multiple start threads.

Comment

• DR
                • Jan 2003

Bottle threads, yeah, I've cut some on the CNC mill.

An inventor had me make a prototype which was basically a short piece of plastic tube with female bottle threads on both ends. The tube was meant to screw two ketchup bottles together. The idea was that a near empty ketchup bottle could be connected vertically and drained into a full bottle so the last bit wasn't wasted. Not a bad idea, although who knows what the market would be. He dropped the idea just as he was about to have an expensive injection mold made when the ketchup company changed their bottle threads.

Another time I made replacement upper gas tank filler necks for vintage International Scouts. The factory original gas caps leaked when the vehicles were on steep inclines. By adapting a Toyota PU gas cap it cured the leaking gas problem.

Comment

• RussZHC
                  • Mar 2010

Can't get that bevtech.org one to load, not sure if this one is the same thing:

bit OT, articles illustrate stuff I would never have thought, reducing the overall height of a bottle cap and putting the threads further down, saves dollars as less plastic is used, shipping costs per unit as more units fit in the same space etc., I gotta learn when to think in the millions and millions of units.
                  Last edited by RussZHC; 03-02-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• dave_r
                    • Feb 2016

Probably was 'disappeared' by Heinz

Comment

• janvanruth
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
                      I did this recently, to make stomp rocket launchers for cub scouts. The bottle is the bellows, and after 10-15 stomps they break. The scouts can screw the bottle on and off themselves without help, instead of the old units which used duct tape to attach the bottles.

Anyway, about 8-10 years ago, most US beverage makers changed from imperial to metric threads. They are now 27.4mm OD and the pitch is 2.7mm. I had to setup a compound gear set on my lathe to make that pitch.

allan
                      27.4/2.7 mm is not a metric thread
                      measuring a fairy tale thread in mm doesnt make it metric

Comment

• Magicniner
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by janvanruth View Post
                        Very true, but what would be nice is if someone told us what it was rather than just glibly stating what it wasn't ;-)
                        If it's a "bastard thread" the spec could be set to funny numbers in Metric or Imperial so unless there's an obvious conversion it's actually impossible to say whether it was dreamed up in Imperial or Metric

- Nick
                        If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

• Magicniner
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by spindowner View Post
                          I would like to make a female thread in a block of aluminum to accept the male thread of a 2 liter Pepsi bottle. The male thread appears to be 1.080" at 10tpi. Any recommendations. Thanks Paul
                          If you know anyone who plays with a CNC mill they should be able do this for you, I made an adapter for the new Soda-Stream bottle on mine,

- Nick
                          If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

• IanPendle
                            • Nov 2010

Hello

Joel has it. Check that it is not a multi start thread. I don't drink cola, otherwise I would check for you. The individual threads in a multi start thread can be very course when cut one by one.

Ian

Comment

• Lew Hartswick
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by janvanruth View Post
                              27.4/2.7 mm is not a metric thread
                              Sure it does
                              If the units are millimeters, It's Metric. NOW it may NOT be some (one of many) "STANDARDS" but it's metric. :-)
                              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
                              X