• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dhammer
    • Feb 2002

my mentor passed

Hi all

My mentor and good friend Harry Dolan passed inDecember. I met Harry online bout 15 yrs on a forum where I asked about Lodge Shipley lathes..his reply led into a good friendship where Harry taught me email by email everything from grinding a tool bit to making a gear.

Harry died in Dec and I was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer a few weeks later. As youu imagine I've been pretty down and quit going to my shop.

I'm hoping to recover enough to continue making chips but I'll miss Harry.

I have to apologize for my writing as I am on pretty strong pain meds but I felt like writing other people with like interests.

Steve
  • achtanelion
    • Jun 2011

That's a rough go. My thoughts are with you.

Comment

• gambler
      • Jun 2009

keep your chin up, and stay busy if you can. thoughts are with you.
      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

• 1-800miner
        • May 2010

Hopefully he left behind a good apprentice.

Comment

• flylo
          • Apr 2011

Sorry for your loss, My best friend passed late last year also. We didn't see each other often but always had a blast when we did. We were blessed to know them but life turns the page. The only constant is change. Remember the best times & make some more. Good luck!

Comment

• TGTool
            • Aug 2005

Steve, good luck with treatment and I hope you have lots of machining ahead of you. I don't think Harry would want you to join him any time soon just because you miss him. Give him a good head start on the other side.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

• chip's
              • Sep 2002

Good luck with everything. I hope all goes very well and you can get back to making chips. I'm also sorry to hear of you loss. The fellow I learned from passed several years back. I still miss him and can't ask questions anymore. People like these are so rare, we need to have them teach all they can while they are able. We also need to be so grateful for them and their abilities. I hope maybe some day, I can be thought of like these good folks.

Comment

Working...
              X