Value of Old truck? Shop truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of Old truck? Shop truck

I am looking at a 66 ford 1 ton, I don't need a new shop truck, but would like something to pull a trailer and mount a boom lift onto. (read that not screw up a new one) The bed has been shortened right up next to the spring hangers, a very solid old truck.

The motor is rebuilt, a monster 390, 4 speed granny transmission, new clutch. Flatbed needs new wood, has metal over it. Runs good, brakes problems thou. (no brakes, wheel cylinder)

Solid body, no dents and light surface rust in a few places. Tires are so-so, been sitting quite a while.

I prefer a older work truck. Simple to work on. I want a flatbed tire lift, possibly a wheel lift using a long lift jack. This one right now has a 2 1/2" ball and sling for a car lift.. *no winch, no boom. It is short like a wrecker.

I need something to go get steel, don't need a primo.

ANY clue on the value? I offered him some tattoo equipment and inks, about $500 in value trade.. (he used to work for me)

I have messed up my Lowrider truck pretty bad working out of it, It is not totalled, but needs a good hose job.. My buddy Mikey just went and got him a new big ford F150? w/V6.. He is happy, thou he has had it in the body shop twice now.. (actually using it) They are 12k...

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-21-2004).]

From the looks of it and all that you say is wrong, he's stupid not to take the $500.00 in goodies.

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

If its rusty on top it's twice as rusty underneath.
        all the best......mark

Comment

I have an old Ford,(1971) with the 390, ceramic clutch to a 4 speed granny. Durn thing refuses to quit. I paid $500 for it back in 1987 and could probably get my money for it anytime I wanted. I have extra rearends, transmissions, and who knows what else for it, just keep collecting the parts when they are available.
          I think I would look around at something a little bit newer, since that era of parts is about gone from the junk yards. Find something running and you might get it for about the same money as you will have in it to get that one running.
          However, trades do sometimes have their advantages, if your not loosing anything by trading one pile for the other.
          Your going to have problems getting anyone to work on the rims, since they are split rims. A lot of shops just won't touch them,(insurance reasons) so figure on looking for another set of wheels, either 16 or 16.5. Price the tires if you planning on doing much loading and hauling. I have 16 on the front and 16.5 on the rear.
          Chevy and Dodge wheels can be modified to fit, without too much trouble, but I prefer to stay with the Ford wheels.
          I figure mine to be worth a grand if I took the Jib Crane off it, but I might be dreaming.
          David from jax
          A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

I actually think it is a pretty good deal for what I want out of it. I can be driving it for about $600 in parts at tops..

The rims are one piece. My neighbor runs a scrap yard, he has had plenty of 2wd and 4wd front and rear axles/parts laying around. He has converted a dozen old 1 tons to 4wd..

I am not thrilled with the 390.. the last one I owned was in a 1/2 ton and a GASHOG to boot.

The cab floor is solid, the boots in the doors are solid, the underhood is solid.

I actually think If he goes through with it, if I can get it moved this week, I'll jump in, and sell the old 54 ford coupe in the yard.

That leaves me with a 4.6/lincoln parts car.

David

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

If it was close to me, I would give $500 for it, and maybe some other stuff, that is worth something, but didn't cost me that much.

Those trucks were built to do things that SUVs never thought about. They are not comfortable for cross country driving, I know I drove my 69 from Washington state to Georga.

It would be great to rebuold and then use with a built in hoist to pickup stuff. I am droowling over this possiblity, I may have to find one of my own.

Jerry

Comment

I drove mine up north of Charleston when Hugo hit, to give a hand (back when I had a lot more vacation than I do now)
                  I brought a load of firewood back, just to keep from unloading it up there. I added a 45 gallon tank to one side since I didn't know how far gas stations would be apart. It got 7 mpg loaded and empty. I didn't push it, and it will run about 75 before the fenders start flapping.
                  David from jax
                  A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

My youngest niece calls my truck WUPU (world's ugliest pick-up). It's a superficially neglected mechanically well maintained 1970 3/4 ton Chev Camper Special. I once used it to hauled a 5400 lb Cincinnatti shaper and it's hauled gravel and fill to the one yard mark any number of times.

It's a very ugly and utterly reliable old rig and nobody want to steal it. I can load casting and bar stock on the without a qualm. Mine is a perfect shop truck. Only weenies absolutely have to have a shiney late model POS with twenty cupholders a 500 watt sound system to impress the rubes.

Real men understand value Vs cost. They'll drive enything so long as it's cheap reliable and strong - and cheap

Comment

Dave,we(my brother and me)had a 63 chevy 1/2ton,ugly didn't even begin,it had all color paint alone with the chevy cancer,but it had a rock solid 230 straight 6 with the three speed crash box,it also had a truck brake compressor with a 12volt clutch with a reciever under the seat.

We gave $250 for it working order,my dad drove it back and forth to work for three years,I drove it to school and work,my brother took it to work and ran three nail guns off it for about six months,it drank oil,sipped gas and the only thing we did to it was tires and one starter.When we got rid of it we still got $600 back out of it,some days I wish I had it back.

Ya its a little rusty,but them old Fords don't rust near as fast as the old Chevy's,better steel in them bodies.
                      Nothing wrong with the 390,solid engine,set the carb with a vacuum gauge to improve milage,me if I needed a good work truck I would jump on it,plus its a 1 ton,they don't change them up near as often as the smaller trucks,lots of stuff will interchange.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If'n you don't like the 390, a small block chevy slips right onto the mount brackets, all you have to do is change the rear mount some. Same for a 440 or 383 chrysler. Use the small rectangular 340 69-ish mount rubbers on 62-70 or so B body engine side mount brackets.

Comment

IBEW,
                          Are you sure you want this as another project.
                          It don't look very shiney to me

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Now John:

I know where the sparkly paint store is..

David.. HA...

www.pullapart.com ' these people had double hump heads at "junk" prices... a outlet in Atlanta..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-22-2004).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim davies:
                              If'n you don't like the 390, a small block chevy slips right onto the mount brackets, all you have to do is change the rear mount some. Same for a 440 or 383 chrysler. Use the small rectangular 340 69-ish mount rubbers on 62-70 or so B body engine side mount brackets.</font>
                              Sacrilege!Blasphmy! Moses wandered in the wilderness for 40 years,why?Buying parts for his Chevy

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X