Gear Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Noise

On my Atlas the gear noise is louder as i like it to be. I bean looking into nylon gears to replace the tumbler gears. The concern i have
    will the nylon gears withstand the torque and pressure. Any input will be appreciated
    Thanks

I think you'd be OK. Consider Nylatron GS rather than plain nylon.

Comment

I did this to my Seneca Falls lathe a few years ago, for the same reason (noise). I suggest using acetal (Delrin) as it's more stable than straight nylon when the humidity changes. My gears are still working fine after about ten years.

Dave

Comment

Watch for moisture swelling with nylons. If you can adjust gear mesh this should not be a problem but for fixed centerlines you must add nominal backlash to be sure they don't bind when swollen with moisture.

Properly applied, nylon gears are surprisingly strong and if you keep them clean and greased will last a long time.

Comment

I suggest you DO NOT use acetal on acetal, even if greased. acetal on nylon is a slippery friction couple but acetal on acetal is not.

Comment

I've been running a Nylon/Acetel gear on the L - N - R selector of my 12" Atlas/Craftsman for a long time with no problems. It quiets the gear train quite a bit and I've only done the one gear. That and that sticky black chain lube are the best thing to quiet it down.

Comment

Do you have the clearances set, and use a little lubricant?
              gvasale

Comment

Are you absolutely sure of the noise source?

Comment

My noise is mostly the tumbler gears. I have clearance. gzig5 where did you buy the gears ? I bean looking at the ones from MSC but they are all nylon

Comment

Whale Tufnol is good for tumbler gears and runs relatively quietly
                    If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

If i go with acetal or delrin do i need a bushing insert

Comment

One other point my south bend ( steel gears ) lathe is not nearly as noisy as my atlas, atlas gears are zimac a much softer metal

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
                          I've been running a Nylon/Acetel gear on the L - N - R selector of my 12" Atlas/Craftsman for a long time with no problems. It quiets the gear train quite a bit and I've only done the one gear. That and that sticky black chain lube are the best thing to quiet it down.
                          You can switch the gears & it normally quites down as the one gear wears more because of the load put on it. Also someone sell steel gears that will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by GEP View Post
                            My noise is mostly the tumbler gears. I have clearance. gzig5 where did you buy the gears ? I bean looking at the ones from MSC but they are all nylon
                            I think I got it through McMaster Carr. It's been quite a few years though. I don't think Nylon should be any problem with the amount of clearance these gears run and in fact the clearance is fixed for the gears on the tumbler. For other positions, if it were to swell up for some reason you'll hear it and be able to adjust as needed. I've never touched mine since install. I'll have to look tonight, but I think I did one of the little gears on the tumbler. I'll try to remember to check and report back.

Comment

Another advantage of plastic gears is they are sacrificial.

Comment

Working...
                              X