Keller Die Filer question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keller Die Filer question...

I picked up this model 1a off of Craigslist this morning. Everything is there and it runs smooth. I do want to change the oil in it, what does it take? There isnt much info on the interwebs about it...

I did read some where it has some bronze components in it and certain oils might not be good for it.

Couple of pics

Last edited by daveo; 03-20-2016, 01:56 PM.
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

I use 80-90 gear oil on my Harvey Butterfly Filer,it leaks out bottom of shaft as it need bushing replaced but I keep a drip pan under it.It does not hold much and do not use it often but handy to have as it can do jobs that nothing else in shop can do.

Comment

That is a nice looking machine. Do you have files for it files are hard to find. I bean looking for a filer

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
        I use 80-90 gear oil on my Harvey Butterfly Filer,it leaks out bottom of shaft as it need bushing replaced but I keep a drip pan under it.It does not hold much and do not use it often but handy to have as it can do jobs that nothing else in shop can do.

I took the cover off, its full and stinks like gear lube! No leaks! I dont think this has seen much use at all, I think I will just use it for now... Thank you!

GEP, I have a few files, A quick Google search for "parallel machine files" will find you some. But they are a bit pricey! I have searched craigslist every few days (for over a year) for "die filer" and found this one last night.... $150 bucks is what I gave for it. The guy had a 1 1/2 horse 3 phase motor for another $20.... I couldnt say no

I have been reading a bit on making your own from regular files. Seems easy but they do need to cut on the downward stroke....
        Last edited by daveo; 03-20-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

A good looking machine

Originally posted by daveo View Post
          I have been reading a bit on making your own from regular files. Seems easy but they do need to cut on the downward stroke....
          the challenge as i see it is hand files , as well as being in the wrong direction, are tapered. The stuff you are reading, what do they suggest?

I've got the same machine, but only have the one over arm - the one in the left of your photos. I'm guess the tall one clamps the end of the file and reciprocates?

If you find stuff out, what oil, manual etc it would be great if you share it here, I'd appreciate as would no doubt future Keller owners

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
            A good looking machine

the challenge as i see it is hand files , as well as being in the wrong direction, are tapered. The stuff you are reading, what do they suggest?

I've got the same machine, but only have the one over arm - the one in the left of your photos. I'm guess the tall one clamps the end of the file and reciprocates?

If you find stuff out, what oil, manual etc it would be great if you share it here, I'd appreciate as would no doubt future Keller owners
            I will share anything I find!

The tall one does clamp a long file or hacksaw blade and runs it true. Ive put cheap hacksaw blades in it a few minutes ago to see if they would snap! Seemed to work great!! You need to try and find that arm...

For a company that was in biz up until several years ago, info on these machines is SCARCE. Seems odd!

Yes, you have to have straight (parallel) files. Chainsaw files are cheap and lots of different round sizes. You could also use diamond coated files, many of them are straight and it does not matter which direction you run them.

Comment

Here is a couple links to other die filing machine manuals....
              http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/3061/4477.pdf
              http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/3061/4477.pdf

This Milwaukee filer is probably as close as it gets to a Keller. Says SAE 10... (may have to register)http://www.hobby-machinist.com/attac...al-pdf.106512/

Comment

There is a filer on e-bay the seller wants $ 500.00 he wont budge. I tried him twice

Comment

I can send him a lower offer than you did, maybe he will reconsider your offer.... 500 is way too much unless that thing is like new with files...

Comment

Here are some parallel hand files that can be used as well as Bosch jigsaw blades that are 14&24 teeth and 5-3/16" long.

Comment

Originally posted by daveo View Post
                      I can send him a lower offer than you did, maybe he will reconsider your offer.... 500 is way too much unless that thing is like new with files...
                      Thanks but i think i pass on this e-bay one the seller got real belligerent with me on the offer i made him. I guess if his is the last one to be had i will not have one

Comment

A handy file that can be made to fit is the flat farmers own kind, the file and handle are one peice, remove the handle section with a disk, a good all round file, very hard 2nd cut
                        https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fa...PrrioM3I69M%3A
                        As said chainsaw files are good too, Oregon are fairly good
                        Mark

Comment

Nice! A whole bunch of diamond coated files could be used, most of them are straight. A pic from amazon...

Short ones

Comment

If you have to own a filing machine,
                            you probably don't own a milling machine.

-Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                              If you have to own a filing machine,
                              you probably don't own a milling machine.

-Doozer
                              I use my Keller a lot, and I own a Milling machine. Mine came without either overarm, when I bought them from Keller the salesman said they were the last ones he had. Here is all the "dirty paper" I have on Keller.

Comment

Working...
                              X