Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boslab
    replied
    I suppose the availability of diamond products has rendered the old slip stone rig less desirable, can't say if ever tried an abrasive stone, but I'm curious, so the wife says anyway
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by daveo View Post
    It would be a simple project to make and I would be happy to send some detailed pics and measurements...
    that would be great, thanks. When ever you get around to it, it'll be to-do project 501.....or maybe 1001....I've lost count

Leave a comment:

• daveo
    replied
    Originally posted by quasi View Post
    die filers can also use polishing stones, a simple adapter has to be made.

Found this pic...

I can think of a lot of uses for a die filer, working on a bunch of gun parts Haters gona hate...

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    die filers can also use polishing stones, a simple adapter has to be made.

Leave a comment:

• spongerich
    replied
    Call Rogerson's Hardware in Hudson NY (518) 828-1832

He's got thousands upon thousands of files in stock in every imaginable size and shape. I'd be very surprised if he doesn't have any die filer files there.

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    If you have to own a filing machine,
    you probably don't own a milling machine.

-Doozer
    Nah, just off the top of my head I can see a filer would be great for stuff like internal keyways. Maybe repairing an internal gear (Wouldn't wanna make a new one, but fixing up 1 tooth should be doable)

Any job where the head/quill/etc of your mill gets in the way of the direction you wanna put the endmill.

Oh, and with the new diamond files, any job over 40RC or so.

And simple jobs where finding a way to fixture it in the mill would likely take longer then it takes to cut. (Aka, most simple jobs)

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Originally posted by daveo View Post
    ... You could also use diamond coated files, many of them are straight and it does not matter which direction you run them.
    That.. is a really sexy idea. I like that.. I like that a lot. Taking an old machine that is considered outdated and upgrading it with modern diamond technology so it could chew through pretty much anything on earth, short of other diamonds and CBN :P

That would make it really useful if you happen to need to do anything with hardened metal.

Leave a comment:

• gerritv
    replied
    While not inexpensive, Falcon has a huge selection of files for this type of machine. Regular, diamond and jewelers. They een have an adapter to use rifflers. Well worth looking through their catalog. Even if you have to spend 12-20 on a file, it should last a considerable time in a hobbiest's shop.

I recently acquired a very old Sears scroll saw (cast iron) that adapted to a filer. Their old catalog even had the files listed.

Leave a comment:

• Dunc
    replied
    Several years ago Harold Hall wrote a die filer construction article for Model Engineers' Workshop. He included a method to adapt regular files to the machine - cutting on the downstroke. See
    http://www.homews.co.uk/page497.html for adapting the files. You can also access the entire build article.

Leave a comment:

• daveo
    replied
    It would be a simple project to make and I would be happy to send some detailed pics and measurements...

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I've got the same machine, but only have the one over arm - the one in the left of your photos. I'm guess the tall one clamps the end of the file and reciprocates?
    I bet you could weld up a substitute pretty quick.... Channel, tube, a couple pieces for clamp ears, might not be so hard. The plunger in the overarm is normally spring-return.

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer
    I use my Keller a lot, and I own a Milling machine. Mine came without either overarm, when I bought them from Keller the salesman said they were the last ones he had. Here is all the "dirty paper" I have on Keller.

Leave a comment:

• Doozer
    replied

-Doozer

Leave a comment:

• daveo
    replied
    Nice! A whole bunch of diamond coated files could be used, most of them are straight. A pic from amazon...

Short ones

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    A handy file that can be made to fit is the flat farmers own kind, the file and handle are one peice, remove the handle section with a disk, a good all round file, very hard 2nd cut
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fa...PrrioM3I69M%3A
    As said chainsaw files are good too, Oregon are fairly good
    Mark

Leave a comment:

Working...
X