No announcement yet.

Locking up a scooter/cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about insulating the scooter from the carrier and hooking up a circuit from a cattle prod? Keep it covered to avoid blasting innocent passers-by.

Comment

Now that is an idea I like. It is also something I have thought of doing in the past. It shouldn't be at all difficult to do with the way the carrier is designed. About the only issue there is making sure that it doesn't actually kill somebody somehow. I intend to cover it anyway and I could put up a little warning of some sort. The main thing would be to somehow make sure that children don't get hit by it somehow. That part is by far the most important consideration for me.

It just needs enough power to give a little shake, rattle and roll when it is touched at the same time as the carrier. Of course then I will most likely forget to switch it off some day...
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Make your lock outta steel hydraulic pipe. Hook accumulator up to pipe.

Im not sure what one would fill said pipe with... Blue dye? Bear spray? I'll leave that up to your imagination.

Another option might be a wire along the locking chain/woven into it, designed that when cut, activates say, one of them nice train air horns and a 5 gallon air tank.

I wonder how well those paint ball grenades are at marking people?
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I've lost my faith in any pad lock that's not laminated. I ran across a YouTube video of a guy that breaks locks with two large open-end wrenches. It takes about two seconds. I looked for the video but can't find it now. He puts the two ends of the wrenches edge to edge between the shackle posts and squeezes the wrenches together. It just blows the side of the lock out and opens up.

Not the one I saw but here's another: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

Comment

Another good idea. Never mind using hydraulic pipe, just hose will be fine. Put some steel cable in it just to give it some real resistance to cutting and spray them with plain old pure full strength red food colouring. It would need to be sealed with just a little pressure from a bike tire pump. I could run it into the Durango so that the lock is inside the vehicle under the hatchback. It also has very strong floor rings just inside the hatch. I do have bear spray too but I keep that just in case I meet some two legged bears. That really doesn't bother me though. I have never been hassled by anyone ever on the street or anywhere else and I have lived in some pretty crappy parts of town in my life. That includes New York City Hell's Kitchen and close to Harlem where all I had to say is that my step dad is a black man and pull out my wallet pics. He the best guy I have ever known. I still haven't beat him at chess. I should try him again on e-mail chess someday. It also helps that I have pretty good training in Judo and Karate. Helps you walk with confidence. I also have a very good cane I built which I no longer need to use since my Hep C is cured and my balance is excellent again. However, the cane is designed to also be a short Hapkido Bo Staff.

I sure do sidetrack myself easy these days. The horn idea is also good. I checked with the insurance agency here that also has an office in Victoria. They were totally puzzled so they called somebody. It appears that it will be covered under apartment household insurance and that will only be maybe 25 bucks a month for enough to cover everything I should have insurance on anyway. Considering that I have some pretty valuable items including a box full of fancy cameras I should have some of that insurance. I have been putting it off because my current apartment is next door to the manager and we get along well.

Comment

Make it "un-appealing" to a would be thief.
              Things like smearing the seat with dog crap...only don't use real crude, do some phony stuff
              Maybe some skunk juice on the carrier, or fake vomit.

Hey, its just an idea !
              Rich

Comment

" I also have a very good cane I built which I no longer need to use since my Hep C is cured and my balance is excellent again"

Hallelujah !
                Congrats Evan !
                Was that the new drugs Sovaldi and Harvoni for treatment of hepatitis C ?

Rich

Comment

I really like the spray something idea. If you warned the thief very clearly that trying to break the lock in any way would release a high powered spray of ink they wouldn't have any way to deal with that and would just leave it for somebody else. That's my bet anyway. Let them know just what they will be dealing with. Then it could be dirt simple.

Comment

Yes, it was Harvoni. My viral load was no longer countable at 8 weeks and no longer detectable at 10 weeks and 12 weeks again. It's GONE! 48 years of compromised health thanks to immunoglobulin injections in the U.S. Army. The infection rate then for us volunteers was 33 percent and I got it twice. It's made from the blood of 10,000 people so we had no chance.

This is the best and nicest piece of paper I have ever seen:

Last edited by Evan; 03-22-2016, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Retired LA Sheriffs deputy advice to me, do not use any type of explosive warning device, large or small, to deter would be theft of a collector car. The bomb squad stands by, anxious to bring anything that appears to be booby trapped to a final conclusion.

Best suggestions include hidden GPS transponders with auto ignition cutoff capability.

If'n you're given a satchel of money by a bank teller, be ready for a red dye bath upon opening.

YMMV

Comment

Powered ink jet isn't at all explosive, no worse than a squirt gun. I can't see that as a problem if you label it well. Perhaps a picture of a squirt gun would be just right and mention that it squirts red ink.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                          Make it "un-appealing" to a would be thief.
                          Things like smearing the seat with dog crap...only don't use real crude, do some phony stuff
                          Maybe some skunk juice on the carrier, or fake vomit.

Hey, its just an idea !
                          Rich
                          Knew a guy once who had the words "Dog $hit" engraved on his skis. For the two years that I knew him, nobody swiped the skis.

Comment

How about a "Parting out 2013 Honda Scooter, motor seized other parts good" sign.

Comment

Heh. I like that too. ----FOR SALE: NEW BATTERY REQUIRED ----
                              The battery is very expensive.

Maybe make the ink squirting system very obvious like a lawn sprinkler sitting next to it with a very obvious transparent hose with red ink in it leading to somewhere under the vehicle. Sure, it will obvious what I am trying to do but what if I am crazy enough to make it real? I could be. Maybe label it "This is the one you can see"

Comment

On a related but not? Theme, some years ago working out of my old shop I got an order from the guy I worked for casual labour, steel tubes, roller bearing each end and a solid rod up the middle, I had no idea what these roller bars were for, they were for the mortuary of the local hospital, for the Windows, I couldent imagine the bodies getting out but these places were being targeted by thieves for the equiptment, big expensive microscopes (very nice ones too!) surgical instruments etc.
                                The idea was that a saw would cut the tube, which was grease filled with black moly grease, as soon as the saw hit the solid rod the rod would roll back and forth preventing the saw making progress, I was tempted to see if it would slow an angle grinder but dismissed it at the time, thinking about it now it might actually work if the rod was square inside and hardened to resist hacks awing.
                                When it would spin it would bust the edge of the now favoured thin slitting disks, they break easy.
                                I also thought about filling the tube with hardened ball bearings.
                                Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X