No announcement yet.

Locking up a scooter/cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use whatever means to lock to rack/truck, then put a Kryptonite U lock around a spoke on each wheel. Even if they get through the main lock, they wont be able to roll it away without serious effort. You can get multiple locks with one key for ease of use. At some point as far as time, ease of use, and money invested, you need to call it good enough. Make it an obvious pita and the lazy sobs will move on. If the seat comes off easily, take it off and put it in truck... one more impediment for the losers. -ST-

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
      Use whatever means to lock to rack/truck, then put a Kryptonite U lock around a spoke on each wheel. Even if they get through the main lock, they wont be able to roll it away without serious effort. You can get multiple locks with one key for ease of use. At some point as far as time, ease of use, and money invested, you need to call it good enough. Make it an obvious pita and the lazy sobs will move on. If the seat comes off easily, take it off and put it in truck... one more impediment for the losers. -ST-
      Yep, that'll slow em down:

Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj View Post
        How about insulating the scooter from the carrier and hooking up a circuit from a cattle prod? Keep it covered to avoid blasting innocent passers-by.
        I was going to a good cattle electric fence unit or the high tension from a coil hooked up but it might piss off the people getting out their car in the parking lot especially the kids

Comment

I love the bike locks. That should work really well as long as I have a few minutes (or more) to take them off.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Besides, I may want to find a new girl friend. (I mentioned that to a friend today and he said "That's easy, they are like buses, another one comes along every 20 minutes")
            But the ones that go by every 20 minutes have had lots of people in them and are smelly and wore out.

Comment

How about an air cylinder to operate a clamp, with the hoses and cylinder hidden inside the frame or clamp. Set it up so it locks the bike firmly in place and have a cable lock as a safety to keep the bike on the rack if the cylinder fails. The clamp could look somewhat like a vise with no handle to operate.
              North Central Arkansas

Comment

I kinda like the horn idea. I think I still have the 32" air horn that is loud enough to cause nearly immediate ear damage. It does need at least 100 or so PSI but it can be heard for miles. It would certainly get attention unlike the ordinary alarms. Nobody would ignore when it sounded, especially not the thief. That was always my principle of installing alarms, such as in my computer store. Come to think of it I still have that one too. The principle is to put it where the thief is, not necessarily where others can hear it well. When it is blasting in the ear of the usually dumb shidt thief he has no idea how loud it is to others, only how loud it is to him. If it is super loud for him he can only assume it is that loud for everyone. I did once set up a car alarm installed in the car, not outside. It made it hard to think even if you were capable of thinking.

So, the idea here is to put the sounder as close as possible to the part most likely to be cut. Just make it somewhat difficult to disable right away. It would only need to run for maybe 15 seconds or so. Just a small pull on the cable to set it off would be needed. I could connect it to the vehicle alarm system to enable/disable it. Hmm, thinking while typing... Maybe just connect it to the vehicle alarm and put a louder non-standard sounder on the vehicle along with the car horn.

Comment

Make some signs and post them in the area.

Bait Cars and Motorcycles in the Area.

Victoria Police Department

Comment

They are probably already there. They use them here. I happen to have friends in the RCMP. I used to work as a firearms safety instructor under direct supervision of an RCMP range officer.
                    Last edited by Evan; 03-24-2016, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Say, I wonder just how easy it is to cut through a steering wheel lock with a grinder wheel? Anybody here ever tried to cut one? If I could fit that on the front wheel that would be super easy to do. It kinda looks like one of those would fit on adjacent spokes.

Comment

Why not just put up a sign like:

DANGER LITHIUM BATTERY
                        paul
                        ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
                        but you may have to

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          Some good ideas so far, I like the GPS tracker, the alarms, and the idea of keeping the prize somewhat hidden in order to lessen the temptation. Most thieves are lazy so anything done to increase their workload will usually result in them choosing another easier target.
                          Parking in secure locations like in front of an open business with lots of windows will help cut down on the risk quite a bit.

In the end though if they really want it they'll just take the Durango.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          As for the "The'll just take the Durango" it will be protected with a battery switch. That I already have and it switches off the battery completely. I might still have a broken window and broken ignition but it won't be going anywhere. But I usually use a steering wheel lock and that seems to work very well.

No if they really want it they will take the Durango. It does not take long to winch it onto a deck truck or a trailer. They can then defeat whatever anti theft devices that are installed at their leisure in the privacy of their own shop.

But let's not get anal about this. Enjoy the scooter, use some common sense as to where it's parked, lock it up and maybe get an alarm. No sense turning this into an exercise of frustration every time you need to setup the scooter's defense perimeter.
                          With just a few basic measures that have been mentioned already chances are you'll be just fine.
                          Last edited by Willy; 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM. Reason: spelling+grammar
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

an answer to a different question:

I read about a guy who was hassled by Officer Badgehappy about a bike on a similar carrier covering up the rear license plate. you might want to find a way to relocate the plate to the carrier when transporting the scooter

In Re the scooter: paint it pansy pink and plaster it with Hello Kitty, Barney, unicorn and Justin Bieber stickers. nobody would take that.

Comment

Weld a loop on the bottom of a hand grenade, fasten one end of the bike chain to that, the other to the pin. Downside is, whatever happens, you loose the bike.
                              'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Yes! Yes! YES! Hide that GPS and camouflage the antenna.

And a good alarm.

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                                I just use a simple,easy padlock and chain,might spring for the boron carbide stuff,but the lock would only be for show.I would set it up so the lock is clearly visible,but use a simple dog leash clasp tucked away out of sight so it's easy to get on and off and not have to fiddle with a padlock or combination lock.

What I would do is install a GPS tracker and an add on antenna for when it does get stolen.

http://pegtech.com/products/microtrac

I know of one person who had his boat stolen with a similar setup installed.He called the police,told them his boat had been stolen and then told them where it was at.The cops jumped right on it and broke up a major theft ring.
                                Paul A.
                                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                                X