No announcement yet.

Locking up a scooter/cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two cables and hook them to the alarm. When they cut the first one, it goes off at 150 db. That will slow them down.

And twin video cameras so you have photos of who did it. Each camera covers the other one.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
      How about an air cylinder to operate a clamp, with the hoses and cylinder hidden inside the frame or clamp. Set it up so it locks the bike firmly in place and have a cable lock as a safety to keep the bike on the rack if the cylinder fails. The clamp could look somewhat like a vise with no handle to operate.
      Just the opposite, a clamp that closes with a strong guarded spring. Requires air pressure to release, much like a truck air brake.

Comment

It does not take long to winch it onto a deck truck or a trailer.

Not on Vancouver Island. The Island isn't that big and there is no easy way to get off the island with a vehicle without being very easily seen and identified at the ferrys. That sort of crime is most likely close to non-existent. It is a very good way to get caught. I just checked the ratio of auto theft for the general Vancouver area on a per capita basis compared with the Island per capita and the auto theft rate on Vancouver Island is only 21 percent of the lower mainland theft rate. I will bet that the large majority of any stolen vehicles are also recovered. It would require extreme stupidity to steal a vehicle on the Island, but of course, 50% of the population is dumber than average. I also suspect that the average intelligence on the Island is higher than average.

I do think I need to have some sort of theft prevention. Without anything it is just too easy to steal. There are a lot of not quite crooks that can be easily tempted when it is easy to do the crime.
        Last edited by Evan; 03-24-2016, 03:42 PM.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I just checked the ratio of auto theft for the general Vancouver area on a per capita basis compared with the Island per capita and the auto theft rate on Vancouver Island is only 21 percent of the lower mainland theft rate.

So there, relax, enjoy the ride.
          The ferry ensures a better class of residents on the island, it does get rid of a lot of riff-raff. Take some common sense approaches to security and I'll bet you'll be fine without resorting to some of the extreme security measures brought forth here.
          It's Victoria, BC not the ghettos of Chicago.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post

Not on Vancouver Island. The Island isn't that big and there is no easy way to get off the island with a vehicle without being very easily seen and identified at the ferrys. That sort of crime is most likely close to non-existent. It is a very good way to get caught. I just checked the ratio of auto theft for the general Vancouver area on a per capita basis compared with the Island per capita and the auto theft rate on Vancouver Island is only 21 percent of the lower mainland theft rate. I will bet that the large majority of any stolen vehicles are also recovered. It would require extreme stupidity to steal a vehicle on the Island, but of course, 50% of the population is dumber than average. I also suspect that the average intelligence on the Island is higher than average.

I do think I need to have some sort of theft prevention. Without anything it is just too easy to steal. There are a lot of not quite crooks that can be easily tempted when it is easy to do the crime.

Reminds me of video I was watching the other day...

Guy modifies a bike and leaves it in a bad neighborhood.

One of the better ones was simply tying it to a tree, near a long grassy down hill slope. when someone gets on the bike, they all get up and run after him shouting "THATS MY BIKE"

Guy drives off.. about 30' and flys over the handle bars.

Other videos included airbag under the seat (with wires leading to the guys around the corner? who steals a bike with wires comming off it around the corner to 3 guys snickering holding a small car battery?), remote controlled tazer hooked up to the handlebars, or seat, etc.

Some guys kept trying to steal it even after they get electrocuted and fell off.

This is a good one because they picked those wonderful raised handlebars guaranteed to catch you right in the nuts for being a stupid thief. Also has a surprise ending...
            Last edited by Black_Moons; 03-24-2016, 04:18 PM.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I am leaning heavily to the metal sheathed hydraulic hose containing an aircraft cable and dye. Perhaps for pressure just a small spring loaded piston at one end of the cable with both ends trapped under the bottom of the rear hatch. No locks required since the hatch would have to be opened to release it. This all makes it dirt simple since I will need to open the hatch to take out the carrier and install it so I can then park the scooter on the carrier and trap the security cable at the same time. Maybe just add a steering wheel lock to the front wheel as well since I will be driving over to the lower mainland from time to time for medical appointments. A camera is also very easy as I own several and was planning on installing a backup camera anyway because of the scooter.

As for the licence plate being covered that is very rarely a problem. In this area licence plates are commonly unreadable because of the large number of dirt roads. There are many dirt roads on the Island as well. I goes along with logging which is one of the major industrial activities in BC. My vehicle is the type that a lot of bush drivers use. The cops will expect to see it with dirty plates which it has right now. If you go to the effort of wiping the registration decal they are all happy. I just might wash it today since winter is mainly over although there is a prediction for snow on Sunday.

Comment

I am leaning heavily to the metal sheathed hydraulic hose containing an aircraft cable and dye. Perhaps for pressure just a small spring loaded piston at one end of the cable with both ends trapped under the bottom of the rear hatch. No locks required since the hatch would have to be opened to release it. This all makes it dirt simple since I will need to open the hatch to take out the carrier and install it so I can then park the scooter on the carrier and trap the security cable at the same time. Maybe just add a steering wheel lock to the front wheel as well since I will be driving over to the lower mainland from time to time for medical appointments. A camera is also very easy as I own several and was planning on installing a backup camera anyway because of the scooter.

As for the licence plate being covered that is very rarely a problem. In this area licence plates are commonly unreadable because of the large number of dirt roads. There are many dirt roads on the Island as well. I goes along with logging which is one of the major industrial activities in BC. My vehicle is the type that a lot of bush drivers use. The cops will expect to see it with dirty plates which it has right now. If you go to the effort of wiping the registration decal they are all happy. I just might wash it today since winter is mainly over although there is a prediction for snow on Sunday.
                They sell hydraulic accumulators that are exactly a piston+spring. Also those anti hammer valves used for home water systems might work great too.

Say, a bike shraider valve for filling the system? (remove valve, fill with dye, add air pressure?)
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Yep, very much my line of thinking too.

Comment

Really makes me wonder why the cops can't bother to do (more?) bait bike programs.

Seems like a slam dunk case really. People willing to steal others stuff so casually really should be locked up.

I have heard some tell about bait bikes, usually high end carbon fiber ones because the extra price of the bike makes it a felony :P

Comment

And this goes on the hydraulic cable along the entire length:

Comment

Really makes me wonder why the cops can't bother to do (more?) bait bike programs.

Way too much work for them. Then they must show up in court just to have somebody released with a small fine. They cannot afford the time that would take. If they fail to show up in court the judge gets very POed.

I think I better get moving. I have things to do before I head down to Victoria.
                        Last edited by Evan; 03-24-2016, 04:43 PM.

Comment

And this goes on the hydraulic cable along the entire length:

"Filled with high pressure corrosive background radioactive infected contaminated fluorescent dye. Cut with caution"

Comment

Really who would want to steal it off your truck, its heavy and not super pretty, do people have to lock up their mobility scooters in Canada.
                            Dirtbikes get stolen heaps , but there is a good market for them
                            My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

I really have to get out of here but one last post for now. One thing you must consider is that after the events in my life in the last year I pretty much do not trust anyone with the exception of the people at my church. Some things that took place involved a number of people breaking the law in such a way that they even destroyed my marriage. I am now quite a lot paranoid about life in general. That most likely has a lot to do with my worries about things being stolen. See ya.

edit: There is a good market for these scooters because those that have their licence lifted for impaired driving can still drive one of these, no licence required. They are also extremely easy to modify to go a lot faster. Just plunk in a higher voltage lithium battery. The one I want can handle up to 144 volts as seen on U-Tube.
                              Last edited by Evan; 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM.

Comment

I was always told that thieves or apprentice thieves (would be thieves) don't like noise so it seems the more wailing a noise your anti theft idea has the better.Obviously it would need to be hidden and able to produce an alarming squeal for a reasonable amount of time. Most people lying in their beds at night just roll over and go back to sleep with a pillow over their heads so statistically they are no good for waking the neighbours who telephone the police smartly. Especially if it goes of when it shouldn't and you get the cry wolf effect. No that is not what it is about seems thieves get very nervous and disoriented when the alarms sound very loudly ,and that's what works best.
                                It is exactly why marshal art teachers have been for a long time now teaching MEN, Not to be macho during an attack, instead and to practice screaming very loudly for help over and over without pause. This has been proven to be the best way of getting an attacker to quit and run off. Before men fought and died often as a result of feeling weak when screaming help help help. We guys need to smarten up and stay alive, no matter what others think. Alistair
                                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                                X