No announcement yet.

Locking up a scooter/cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked out my storage locker today and I do have one of my horns. This one runs on 12 vdc and is rated at 115 dB. It can do either a wailing siren or just a pulsating single frequency. It is bloody loud, that's for sure. There is no way you can stay close to it for more than a few seconds, it hurts. I think that if it could fit under the seat it would not only be good for getting thieves running but would also make a decent driving horn when really needed.

This has also made me think that I should figure out a way to make the scooter create some sort of "running engine" sound. Those things are nearly silent and that makes it hard to get the attention of a driver close to you on the road. This is a problem with electric vehicles in general and the small low powered ones in particular. When I was a kid I would clip a couple of playing cards on the fork tubes on my bicycle so they would flap on the spokes. That attracted the attention of car drivers so they would notice I was nearby.

Some sort of simple electronic sound maker that is associated with the amperage draw of the motor would be good. Just make it so it sounds somewhat like a slightly noisy motor of some kind. Put a switch on it so it can be on/off depending on if needed or not. That would most likely be a good thing to do for all of these little machines. Could prevent a lot of grief for some people. It certainly wouldn't be difficult or expensive.

I looked it up. At 115 dB hearing damage occurs in one minute or less.
    Last edited by Evan; 03-25-2016, 05:57 AM.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evil idea. Use two steel clamps that kinda rotate into place on the front wheel. Put a vertical plate between them so they can't cut both at one time. But the clamps complete a circuit and after one is cut, a third one is activated to replace it. Same thing for the second clamp.

With several layers of redundancy, the would-be thief will probably stop after two or three cuts.

Add an aural warning on the second to last one, "Stop or you WILL be VERY sorry!" No actual consequence so you don't get sued.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I am having trouble visualizing what you have in mind. Getting sued here isn't a problem generally. We don't have such a hyperactive court system that will allow anybody to sue anybody for anything. High dollar lawsuits are rare, to say the least. (edit) You also cannot do "judge shopping". Whoever you are assigned is who you get.

I am thinking that I should use that electronic horn as the regular horn on my Durango. Then it will also be the alarm horn for the vehicle and for whatever I may set up on the bike (it isn't legally a scooter, it is an electric bicycle in law because it must have pedals which most people remove. Then they play a little game with the cops which if they are bored will stop you. If you aren't nice to them then they write a ticket).
        Last edited by Evan; 03-25-2016, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          Evil idea. Use two steel clamps that kinda rotate into place on the front wheel. Put a vertical plate between them so they can't cut both at one time. But the clamps complete a circuit and after one is cut, a third one is activated to replace it. Same thing for the second clamp.

With several layers of redundancy, the would-be thief will probably stop after two or three cuts.

Add an aural warning on the second to last one, "Stop or you WILL be VERY sorry!" No actual consequence so you don't get sued.
          Hmmm, Gives me an idea.

How about a section of box or tube, that is designed to be thicker then you can cut with a 5" cordless zipcutter, with the back of it against the frame in such a way you can't get the zipcutter in to reach the back of the box section.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Here's another thought. Easier to make and use.

The idea it to use a couple of bars through the wheel or frame. But lock them on BOTH sides of it so they have to cut them on both sides to remove the bike. Would take longer and be awkward on the back side. Also, if you use two bars, you could put a piece of steel between them so they can't easily cut both at one time.

You would need a high security lock that can be embedded in the aluminum blocks and that would resist breaking and picking.

You could add security features to the rods, like the hardened, rotating pin in the center, but I suspect the locks would be the weakest point, not the rods.

Make it all fairly close fitting and there would be little room for an abrasive wheel in there.
            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-25-2016, 04:58 PM.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

I see where you are going on that Paul and it look good and easy to do. I like it. It doesn't need to be impossible to do, just hard to defeat. Crooks are lazy, that's why they are crooks.

It doesn't need heavy blocks, just two pieces of large flat 1/4" thick plate on each side with even just one pad lock that is covered with some more plate well enough that the cutting wheel can't reach the locks or shaft. Sure, it could be beaten eventually but it would take many minutes, not seconds...

I could even make it look nice and mysterious so that the way to cut it in order to beat it would not be at all obvious. Protecting pad locks is easy, it's done on all explosives storage containers.
              Last edited by Evan; 03-25-2016, 06:30 PM.

Comment

If the blocks were a little thicker, a spring loaded plunger in each block, retracted by a small air cylinder. Have the air hose on a quick disconnects, remove air hose when locked.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  I could even make it look nice and mysterious so that the way to cut it in order to beat it would not be at all obvious. Protecting pad locks is easy, it's done on all explosives storage containers.
                  I can just picture some idiot using a zipcut disk on an explosives storage container.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by ulav8r View Post
                    If the blocks were a little thicker, a spring loaded plunger in each block, retracted by a small air cylinder. Have the air hose on a quick disconnects, remove air hose when locked.
                    Might work rather well, especially if there is 'extra' length to the plunger.

When cut though, the plunger would extend further and grab the cutting tool.

Comment

Been thinking on this some more. A shaft from one block (or plate) to the other side block and locked in place at one end by a protected padlock could contain a much smaller shaft in a lengthwise hole. If that shaft were simply highly spring loaded at both ends the moment it was cut it would put heavy pressure on the sides of the zip disk and stall it totally. I might even end up winning a battery powered angle grinder. :-) The shaft would be easy to make. No reason it needs to be round. It could be rectangular parts all screwed together with numerous screws and a slot inside for the jamming rod. Strong springs at each end with set screws to load the springs. Type of metal would be immaterial, so to speak.

Comment

Run with it!
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Heh. If the jamming rod was in a wide portion of the slot to one side of the most likely cutting location the spinning disk would try to bend the jamming rod and most likely end up breaking the zip disc. For some reason that feels satisfying. I wonder how I could encourage somebody to try and steal the scooter? That would make a nice U-Tube video. I would NOT show how it worked though.

It is something to play with when I get involved with the local Makers Group. That will be a fun project. I'll make at least several locking shafts and we can test it. If/when I end up doing that I will post it here. That won't be for at least a few months though.

Gee, it has occurred to me for the best result I should mark the lock shaft with a line and writing that says "CUT HERE". I am guessing that would make a thief rather suspicious that he was being played with and he would be right. The other thing that will work and I have played with before is to have a sensor set off a basic camera flash several times. They won't know exactly where it came from but they will know something not good for them is up. A tiny very bright white LED will do that trick nicely and they won't be able to spot it easily at all.
                          Last edited by Evan; 03-26-2016, 03:01 AM.

Comment

You do realize that after all this thinking and after all the effort you put into whatever lock you decide on, this is the one bike in all of Canada that no one will ever try to steal. Things just work that way.
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Fine by me. It will make for a nice teaching class for the Makers Group. I plan on doing teaching there for the young guys. I have already been in contact with them. I am sure that something like this will attract a lot of interest. The Makers just had a welder stolen and I did some very careful enhancement of a long shot security camera. I was able to determine that the thief was wearing a cloth over his lower face and very large sun glasses. Unfortunately it meant no ID was possible. The truck he was driving was recovered. It was stolen. It isn't going to be easy to keep that welder in use anywhere except in an always closed private shop. It will be far too easy to spot if it is in any public area. It is not a large city and there aren't a lot of shops excepting the military. At least I was able to determine some things about the clothing he was wearing. If he ever wears it in public again he will most likely be caught. There are some very clear stain patterns on his sweat shirt. It is the kind of thing that he very likely will not think of. I also have a good estimate of his height and weight.

Comment

A double strobe LED might make the thief think He cannot find them all. If it could be rigged up to flash in the perps eyes then call home You might get a picture or time for a swing in as they stagger around.
                                mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Working...
                                X