Carbide Insert Suggestion Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbide Insert Suggestion Request

I thought I'd take advantage of Enco's 15% off and free shipping deal that ends tomorrow. I've got some heavy stuff in the cart, and free shipping sure helps.

I've got a Phase II BXA Set, with #1, #2, #4, #7, & #10 holders, and 5/8" insert holders. When I bought the set, I just guessed at some carbide inserts to get. I'd like some advice on ordering some more inserts.

I know I need triangle shaped inserts with a center hole. That's about all I know... Any advice for me for the top, say, 20 inserts I should have?

I know how I sound... Haha... I see questions like this from beginners asking what router bits they should have for their CNC router, and I've been around that enough to know just what works for what... but not for my metal lathe.

Oh yeah... How about an entry level boring bar/set for my BXA 3/4" / 1" holder... Any advice on that?

Thanks!
    Chris

Your inserts will be specific to the holders you bought. Did you get the cheap 5-piece holder set that Enco and Grizzly sell? Those take "TT" style inserts, and you have to match the size to your holders.

Comment

5/8" insert holders
      which ones did you get?
      Best I can figure, Phase II sells the tool post, w "holders" style specified in the catalog but not including the actual tooling.
      If you have them in hand (or even the catalog page w a part #) there should be a alpha-numeric code on the insert holders, as Yondering said, what inserts will be specific to the holders IF you got all the same style, if not, you will end up with more than one style of insert being needed, not a bad thing but adds to the stock on hand that is needed longer term.

I am partial to the old school Everede boring bars, depends on how much you want to spend if you want an insert style bar.
      IF you don't mind searching EBay and perhaps waiting a bit, Ultradex are nice and not too, too expensive, Walter makes some nice stuff...quite a few actually both import and US made ("import" being anything made outside of the US in this case). Size and carbide costs money, the bar itself, not just the inserts.
      You end up getting a range of bar diameters since, for best results you want to use a bar close to the hole size, if possible. So it often happens you buy one bar at a time, as need arises.
      I'd start with an Ultradex bar with med size CCMT inserts, they are relative easy to find, lots of variety coating wise and nose radius wise, have multiple sides to use, be sure you get bar and insert sizes matched to one another.

Comment

Make sure you get inserts that are dead sharp !!!!! Honed edge inserts will give you terrible finishes.

JL..............

Comment

What fer lathe do you have? Negative inserts are better suited to multi HP.
          Dead sharp will allow tiny DOC that the positive or negative w/hone won't. You can sneak up.
          The trade off, dead sharp is delicate in comparison and won't give the mileage.

Comment

It is nice to have a negative rake insert with a chip breaker groove
            that makes the insert positive with respect to it's presentation to
            the workpiece. You get more cutting edges to use up and the free
            cutting action.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Boring bars in the lathe I like ones that use a CCMT 22.51 and 32.51 insert.The ones I bought were Toolmex (Bison) brand and have served me well for years.They can also use CCGT series inserts for machining Aluminum.

That said I would not buy inserts from Enco,because you will end up paying too much even with the sale.I get most of my inserts off Ebay these days.I just bought ten new Kyocera CCGT 32.51 inserts for $19 including shipping.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If you want suggestions for inserts/holders, here's my quick list:
                -WNMG for roughing and general pupose metal removal, gives 6 edges per insert and 2 directions to turn
                -SNMG for chamgering, 8 edges per insert, 2 directions
                -DNMG in different radii, 4 edges per insert, works in boring bars too
                -DCMT for mid-size boring bars
                -CCMT for smaller boring bars, 2 edges per insert
                -DNGA for hard turning

If only something of those, then DNMG and SNMG.
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

I have found the triangle work in a shop I have big box of inserts I never use today and only use triangle's few carbide tool bits and HSS. When had shop with machinist working for me I found they wood go though inserts faster water so back the good old tool bits and save money.

Good luck
                  Dave

Originally posted by chrisinestes View Post
                  I thought I'd take advantage of Enco's 15% off and free shipping deal that ends tomorrow. I've got some heavy stuff in the cart, and free shipping sure helps.

I've got a Phase II BXA Set, with #1, #2, #4, #7, & #10 holders, and 5/8" insert holders. When I bought the set, I just guessed at some carbide inserts to get. I'd like some advice on ordering some more inserts.

I know I need triangle shaped inserts with a center hole. That's about all I know... Any advice for me for the top, say, 20 inserts I should have?

I know how I sound... Haha... I see questions like this from beginners asking what router bits they should have for their CNC router, and I've been around that enough to know just what works for what... but not for my metal lathe.

Oh yeah... How about an entry level boring bar/set for my BXA 3/4" / 1" holder... Any advice on that?

Thanks!
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                    -WNMG for roughing and general pupose metal removal, gives 6 edges per insert and 2 directions to turn
                    -DNGA for hard turning

Jaakko, do you use any button tools?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
                      -DNGA for hard turning

Thanks for the recommendations.

Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations for specific tool holders for these for hsm sized machines? Like 1/2" or 5/8" max tool holder size? Most of the holders I find seem to be for larger machines, and of course are fairly expensive too. I bought some TNMG inserts recently thinking I could adapt them to my 1/2" holders, but no go, they need their own dedicated holder (obvious now that I have them in hand).

Given the cost and size of most of the commercial tool holders I've found, I was thinking of just machining my own holders. Do you guys do this too?

Comment

Yes.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Just saw this link on a nother post.http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm seems like a good chart to help with your questions. I don't have insert tooling so I'm just posting because it seems helpful.

TX
                          Mr fixit for the family
                          Chris

Comment

Finger stuttered. Duplicate post.

Comment

I'm reasonably happy with the set of 5 3/8" insert holders from Enco for my lathe:

Model No. Description Qty. Price Tax Ext. Price
                              NC250-1400 WITH 3/8" SHANK INDEXABLE HOLDER 5 PC SET 1 16.49 $16.49
                              And the inserts seem good:

NC340-1204 TT222 TCN55 CARBIDE TURNING INSERT 10 2.41 $24.10

And with the QCTP:

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X