Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Referring again to the opening post..

Originally posted by radkins View Post
    I need to slightly bend/mold some thin plywood for an antique school desk seat and back. The back is only a few inches wide and should bend easily if I can just get it to hold that shape, the seat however will take a bit of effort to form properly but I have an idea for a method of forcing it into shape if I could just figure out now how to get it to hold that shape?

The general principle when you have a means to force and hold the materials in the required shape is that you build a stack of thin plys, even individual veneers, with plenty of adhesive or resin between the layers then press it into the required shape and allow the adhesive to cure.

John

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
      I will take the ideas given here and go shopping for materials tomorrow, what I eventually do will be dependent more so on what I can find to do with but at least now I have a much more realistic understanding of what's involved and what I need to do it with.
      When shopping for ply I suggest you carefully study the edge to check that the outer plys are not paper thin with thicker inner plys, if so the outer plys will too easily crack and the inner plys will not bend evenly. Sometimes cheaper is better!

Comment

Working...
      X