Cutting threads on Craftex CX701 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    What I find odd is that the CAB knobs that I took to be a more fully functional quick change box are in reality just 2:1 division gears. Most of the selection of the threads to be cut are made with the change wheels and then the correct multiple is selected with the front box controls..... odd that.
    Yes it is odd, but it's odd in a useful way for a hobbyist. The C-A-B positions give you three threads that cover a very wide range. If you chose to install the gears for 8 TPI, for instance, then you get a choice of 8, 16 or 32 TPI without changing the gears again. You can leverage this if you are designing your own parts by choosing to use only those 3 TPIs in your design.

My lathe has a QCGB that gives 9 different threads per gear setup, but they are sequential, so I get 8 -> 14, or 16 -> 28 or 32 -> 58. That means that if I am to cut one of the three most common threads for small screws (10, 16 or 32) there's a good chance that I will not have the right gears set up.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
    X