OT - Computer Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Computer Assistance

When I turn on my computer and after it has finished its loading, I get this screen.

I tried to print the screen but it wouldn't print it so I had to take a picture of it. This appears each time I turn on the computer. I have no idea where it came from and I click the red X when it appears and it goes away. I'm afraid to have some unknown program make changes to my computer. I think it is a virus but my virus check didn't alert me to a potential problem. How do I get rid of this message? Appreciate any assistance.
    Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

According to what I can find on SSBkgdUpdate.exe it is an updater for PaperPort Scanner software.There is a small possibility it could be malware.
    I would recommend getting CCleaner, a utility that allows you to see what programs are loading on your computer at startup, selectively keep or delete cookies, check for registry errors, and clean browser cache. I am a retired computer support tech and have used CCleaner for years. You can disable or delete startup programs, browser add-ons.

Chuck

Comment

Scansoft software Are you running a scanner? If so it is trying to update. if not go look at installed programs and uninstall it. If it is not there go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/hjt/ and get a program call "hijackthis" Use the download and save it.

There is a vid there on how to use it. Once you run it find the entry this, check it, and fix it.

I 've used this program for years to fix computers.

Post if you have questions.

Comment

Printers use programs sometimes called paperports. Check the software that your printer, assuming you have one connected, uses. They are not always obvious.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I was trying to install the PaperPort Scanner when I got some errors (didn't have a clue what they meant.) Maybe it a result of that. Should I uninstaller PaperPort? Will my scanner still work?
          Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

I would un-install the scanner software and then check online for an updated version of the software.

Chuck

Comment

1: If at all possible, uninstall the program thru the control panel. That or any application that you suspect.

2: go to msconfig ( start button, type msconfig and click on icon), see if you can find the program and any associated files in the Startup tab. Disable. Reboot.
              Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I TOTALLY HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem started when I tried to get the scanner function on my Brother printer to work. I got the error I didn't have Administrator privileges so I couldn't install the software. I'm the only one using the computer! After that, I keep getting the screen message in my initial posting.

After a few hours of many trial and errors, I finally did get the old program uninstalled. I went to the Brother site and down loaded and installed the new driver for my printer. I assumed the scanner software was included in the newly down loaded driver. How wrong I was! There wasn't any scanner software on the site but it was on a CD which came with the printer. I tried to install from the CD and kept getting the error that I didn't have Administrator privileges.

At 9AM tomorrow you can be sure I will be on the phone with Brother to see why I can't install the scanning software and what are the problems!
                Last edited by BigBoy1; 03-27-2016, 07:05 PM. Reason: Typo!
                Bill

Comment

Try right-clicking on the link to the install program and choose "Run As Administrator".
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

From Microsoft answers: ssbkgdupdate.exe = ScanSoft OmniPage auto updater. This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. It is advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources. Please press the Windows key and R key on your keyboard together.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy1 View Post
                      I TOTALLY HATE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!!!!

My problem started when I tried to get the scanner function on my Brother printer to work. I got the error I didn't have Administrator privileges so I couldn't install the software. I'm the only one using the computer! After that, I keep getting the screen message in my initial posting.

After a few hours of many trial and errors, I finally did get the old program uninstalled. I went to the Brother site and down loaded and installed the new driver for my printer. I assumed the scanner software was included in the newly down loaded driver. How wrong I was! There wasn't any scanner software on the site but it was on a CD which came with the printer. I tried to install from the CD and kept getting the error that I didn't have Administrator privileges.

At 9AM tomorrow you can be sure I will be on the phone with Brother to see why I can't install the scanning software and what are the problems!
                      What OS is it, and what kind of user is your login account? Administrator, or just a user? Vista, 7,8 have a "run as administrator" option, right click on the program (installer) and select run as administrator, this will run the program with the highest available privileges.

Comment

Originally posted by Iraiam View Post
                        What OS is it, and what kind of user is your login account? Administrator, or just a user? Vista, 7,8 have a "run as administrator" option, right click on the program (installer) and select run as administrator, this will run the program with the highest available privileges.
                        I'm running Windows 7. I don't know what my account is. I just turn it on and it works. The right click function did not work when I tried to install the program again.

And people wonder why I hate computers.
                        Bill

Comment

I never, NEVER allow a pop-up screen to start anything. Even if it SEEMS to be from a trusted source/program that I know I installed and use.

WHY? Well, even a computer dummy like myself can EASILY capture a screen shot of a legitimate pop-up and then that image can be re-purposed to install or do ANYTHING to that computer. And it will look EXACTLY like the genuine screen from the perfectly safe software. And it will contain any assurances of safety that the original one did. Getting a copy of a pop-up screen is the easiest step of the process of deceiving a user into installing malware.

When this happens, I start the real program and look in it's menus for a way to install the upgrade. This may not be fool prof, but it must be a whole lot safer than just clicking on a pop-up.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I am sure it is a legitimate program trying to do the final part of an update installation that required the machine to be restarted. The "dire" warning is just how Microsoft tries to protect their own ass so they can't be accused of allowing viruses to install. Microsoft goes way overboard on those messages and ends up scaring the average user instead of helping them.

Never blame the computer. It is only a reflection of the people that write the programs that more or less make them work.

The publisher is "unknown" because it cost a lot of money to register with Windows Update. The update happened because that is the default method that most programmers use to keep their software updated. Also, checking for updates automatically gives the publisher a nice way to check on how many people are using their software. That also gives them a reading on how many people are somehow using their software without paying for it.

Run a virus scan and if it doesn't find it then go ahead and click on the YES button, then stop worrying.

Paul, BB most likely couldn't print the screen because the system hadn't finished fully starting due to the update holding up the start process.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Well the problem is finally fixed. After two hours on the phone with the Brother Printer people, they concluded that it was a Microsoft problem. After getting, the lack of being an Administrator problems fixed, I encountered the error of not having enough space on my hard drive (which has 850GBs of free space) to install a 35MB Printer driver. I spent another two hours on the phone with Microsoft and still the problem existed. After I paid the Microsoft Technical Service fee, the guy finally admitted that he had to kick it to a Tier 2 system person because he didn't know what was the problem. I then spent another two hours on the phone with a lady who finally discovered the problem. The Windows Installer software had a problem. After an updated version of the installer was installed, the driver was successfully loaded and my printer and scanner are now working. A whole day spent on the computer and not one pieced of swarf was generated! See why I hate computers.
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X