3-1/2" striking wrench?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-1/2" striking wrench?

I sometimes buy tools in lot purchases, usually targeting a subset of the lot. In the remainder I get a lot of miscellany which causes me storage headaches. In particular, I got a 3-1/2" striking wrench (aka slugging wrench) awhile back. I derusted it and oiled it just because, and hung it up on my wall. However, I have decided that if I haven't used a wrench like that in 62 years I probably won't ever need it (understatement) it is of little use to me.

Perusing ebay, it appears that very few large striking wrenches ever get sold. Thus I conclude that in today's market this tool has little if any value.

However, its shank etc. are substantial enough to warrant consideration as machining stock. Anyone have any idea if such metal might be machinable?

metalmagpie

PS if anyone in the Seattle area needs this thing PM me and come get it

A while ago, I bought a 3-1/8" slugging wrench at Grainger.
    I was at UC Berkeley PEER seismic test lab to test a high
    voltage switch structure for earthquake survivability.
    I was using 2" studs to hold the columns to the shaker table.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

It's probably forged, so it will tend to distort when "machined".

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
        It's probably forged, so it will tend to distort when "machined".
        I would think that it was heat treated after it was forged, so distortion should not be a problem.

If you can cut it with a saw, just go ahead and have at it, other wise you'll prolly want to anneal it before you use it to make something else out of it. YMMV
        Last edited by ironmonger; 03-29-2016, 12:29 PM.
        paul
        ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
        but you may have to

Comment

Those are commonly used to break bolts on piping flanges. Some are made of beryllium (non sparking).
          You said de-rusted, so probably not. Can be hard to tell unless they're new.

Comment

The beryllium copper anti spark are sort of copper gold colour, I had a set for working in oxy galleries and gas pump stations, they aren't magnetic either, they were very expensive, a 3" flogging spanner was about $900.
            Steel is, there's not much demand unless you know someone in a quarry or somthing, but when you need one you need one!
            We used them fairly often in a steelplant, all the nuts were huge, and the ones there were ancient, they do wear from beatings but very slowly, some of the ones there had a military arrowhead thing stamped on them
            I found a use for one, I machined it to fit the hardy hole in my anvil, useful for bending stuff and as a form for pushing out dents
            They are normally alloy steel, Cr.Va.Mo. Etc, tough as old boots
            Mark

Comment

Dang, too bad it isn't a 3-3/4". I live down in Lacey and have a shaft with a nut that large and could use a slugging wrench. Close but no cigar!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazemaster83 View Post
                Dang, too bad it isn't a 3-3/4". I live down in Lacey and have a shaft with a nut that large and could use a slugging wrench. Close but no cigar!
                Shave an 1/8" off each jaw?? JR

Comment

"I found a use for one, I machined it to fit the hardy hole in my anvil, useful for bending stuff and as a form for pushing out dents"

I like that

Comment

Working...
                  X