Tooling score and help with indentity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tooling score and help with indentity

Hey folks, my buddies FIL scored these at an auction out west last year and gave them to me for my shop. Mostly I'm just showing off, but I also would like to know what the two three and four flute drill looking things are. Are they simply multi flute drills or are they some kind of reamer? See below for the pictures.

Thanks!
    Jason
    Last edited by jacampb2; 03-30-2016, 08:44 PM.

Pictures of the mystery tooling. Second post for absolutely ridiculous picture limit...

Later,
    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by jacampb2 View Post
      Pictures of the mystery tooling. Second post for absolutely ridiculous picture limit...

Later,
      Jason
      Those are core drills.

Comment

First pic, in the plastic tubs and around you appear to have a very good selection of milling cutters!
        The three (and four?) flute drills are core drills alright, for opening up holes in castings or existing holes - with three flutes the don't snatch and grab as badly.

Dave H. (the other one)
        Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Nice catch! Thank those friends.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Yes - core drills. A core drill is kind of a cross between a drill and a reamer. They work pretty well for bringing a hole to final size.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
              Yes - core drills. A core drill is kind of a cross between a drill and a reamer. They work pretty well for bringing a hole to final size.
              I don't think the purpose of a core drill is to bring holes to size, they are used for opening holes in castings that have been rough placed in the casting process. I regular twist drill would deflect and snap or at best drill the hole out of location. Core drills have a much thicker Web and won't deflect as easily.

Comment

I've seen small three flute drills- called 'jet drills'- used to open up carburetor jets.

Comment

Thanks guys, that makes some sense. I also found a few end Mills and twist drills with really wild grinds. Some with a concentric step and some other odd shapes. It's entirely possible they were for some operation on a casting.

Thanks for the info though. The only three flute drills I've ever seen were ~1/4" and they were specialty drills for this sheet metal circle cutter tool we used to use.

Thanks!
                  Jason

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer12 View Post
                    I don't think the purpose of a core drill is to bring holes to size, they are used for opening holes in castings that have been rough placed in the casting process. I regular twist drill would deflect and snap or at best drill the hole out of location. Core drills have a much thicker Web and won't deflect as easily.
                    That is how they got their name. The hole in the casting is left by a core in the mold. Usually holes in castings are finished to a specific size on the drawing, rather than just any random size. Since there has to already be a hole of some size for the core drill to enlarge, it would seem to follow that the core drill would finish the hole. What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                      That is how they got their name. The hole in the casting is left by a core in the mold. Usually holes in castings are finished to a specific size on the drawing, rather than just any random size. Since there has to already be a hole of some size for the core drill to enlarge, it would seem to follow that the core drill would finish the hole. What am I missing?
                      Well what I mean is that they aren't necessarily intended to hit a precise hole size as a reamer is meant to, at least that's what I was taught in trade school. I was taught they were for opening up a hole left by a sand core in a casting to get it closer to size and positionally correct, and then bored/honed/reamed to final size.

Of course if the hole is a clearance size or non critical, then yes the core drill would be the final operation.

Comment

This has been a good learning thread.

JL................

Comment

I have a three flute 25mm core drill. When I need to bore larger in the lathe, the core drill will take steel up from 15mm to 25mm very easily. I'd be very pleased to find a few more.
                          Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                          X