Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT; Windows 10

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT; Windows 10

    Searched but couldn't find if anyone is using 10 and how is it?
    Len

  • #2
    According to Microsoft, 250 million are using it

    I haven't had any issues with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice looking, many things changed from Windows 7, many professional programs don't support it yet. Can't say about the performance on a home computer, as I don't have it and the computers at work are built for high-core high-memory number-crunching.
      Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Non-starter for me.

        It's a "free" upgrade, so Microsoft is monetizing it by tracking what you are doing on your computer and you can't turn this tracking off.
        Microsoft has also decided that you can't pick and choose which updates to the OS get installed. You have to install them all. And then they don't tell you what is in the update [they have recently changed policy and decided they will give a general idea of what an update changes].
        They also have been getting more and more aggressive in trying to get people to upgrade from Win 7/8.

        It looks like Windows 8 will be the last version of Windows that is nominally under your control.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dave_r View Post
          Non-starter for me.

          It's a "free" upgrade, so Microsoft is monetizing it by tracking what you are doing on your computer and you can't turn this tracking off.
          Microsoft has also decided that you can't pick and choose which updates to the OS get installed. You have to install them all. And then they don't tell you what is in the update [they have recently changed policy and decided they will give a general idea of what an update changes].
          They also have been getting more and more aggressive in trying to get people to upgrade from Win 7/8.

          It looks like Windows 8 will be the last version of Windows that is nominally under your control.
          They backported the spyware to windows 7/8 via updates with poor descriptions.

          So now you can't even run windows update on any modren windows OS without risking your systems security/privacy. Good job MS.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Folks,

            Some might not like my suggestion but, you can turn off the tracking in all the versions.

            SpyBot Search & Destroy, do a proggy called 'Antibeacon'.

            Download it for free and install, works with Updates and everything, been using it since the leaked 10's...
            Chris....

            Comment


            • #7
              In my opinion, the majority of features that make W10 'special' are the apps and utilities that also send telemetry and advertising data (cortana, xbox, zune, store etc).

              After changing a few things (classic start installed, hate tiles) and disabling or uninstalling apps I don't want or need, its really not showing much difference in feel than w7. Where w8 was noticeably quicker than w7. Benchmarks may show w10 faster than 7, but sitting at the keyboard there's no difference.

              On first install, you have a choice of default or custom install, choose custom and deselect what you don't want, then once installed can change a few more things. Some of them you need to use powershell to remove.

              If you have over 16gigs of ram and run w7 home version, w10 will use all ram, w7 home will only use 16 gigs, which is why I run 10. If I had w7 pro, i wouldn't even think about going to 10.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm running it on 6 systems and love it; all upgraded (not even "clean" installs) from Win 7-pro after the November release (solid, ready). Pretty much everything just works "better", even on my 4G (max) laptops. I've found nothing I have that won't run; my printer/scanner needed an updated driver but it was way better anyhow.

                Ignore all the naysayers that don't have it installed; it is a damn good and up-to-date OS... and you can turn off all the spyware. My phone spies on me way more, and if you use Google anything, lol.. so get over it and protect yourself if you care.

                Edge isn't ready for prime time (but I like it...). IE is still included, or you can choose you favorite third party browser.

                To me, it's the OS I wanted from way back, but could't stomach 8 so I waited.

                The company I consult to (500+ desktops and 100+ laptops) is slowly rolling it out first on new purchases; around 50 or so in use. No real problems found (some initial stupid in-house app javascript issues, but that was the company fault), and user acceptance is good. So good that people are asking for it.. lol.


                If you have multiple installs to do or just want a copy, download the .iso image to a DVD or USB memory stick. If you want a clean copy, you don't need an existing copy of win7 installed - just a valid licence key from Win 7 or 8.
                Last edited by lakeside53; 04-01-2016, 09:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Lakeside - One of the things that concerns me about 10 is that the programs like Office can't be used unless you are on the Internet. Believe it or not, there are actually times when I have no access to the Internet and still want to be able to use my computer. Is this just a problem for some applications or is 10 unusable without being connected?

                  Thanks.
                  Steve

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not sure what you mean. I use Win 10 and Office 2010, 2013 and some of Office 2016 daily; an Internet connection is not required.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                      ...

                      Ignore all the naysayers that don't have it installed; it is a damn good and up-to-date OS... and you can turn off all the spyware. My phone spies on me way more, and if you use Google anything, lol.. so get over it and protect yourself if you care.
                      ...
                      No, you CANNOT disable Microsoft's spying, at least using any operations a 'regular' person could figure out. They have a slider that indicates you can do so, but setting it to '0' when running the 'consumer' version of Win10, actually treats it as '1'. You need to go out of your way to figure out how to disable sending your personal tracking/usage information to Microsoft [as in, third party apps or start killing things in the background and preventing them from starting up again next time you restart windows or login].

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        From what I've read office 2016 is run from "the cloud" and isn't fully loaded on your system, thus it doesn't run if you're not connected.

                        If you disconnect from your network, does it still work?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by dave_r View Post
                          No, you CANNOT disable Microsoft's spying, at least using any operations a 'regular' person could figure out. They have a slider that indicates you can do so, but setting it to '0' when running the 'consumer' version of Win10, actually treats it as '1'. You need to go out of your way to figure out how to disable sending your personal tracking/usage information to Microsoft [as in, third party apps or start killing things in the background and preventing them from starting up again next time you restart windows or login].
                          This is why I delete the app folder, however updates reinstall some apps, so I set the update service to manual, then only update when I have time to delete it again.

                          Edit: I'm currently migrating everything to BSD/linux versions, then only use windows for the software with no alternatives.
                          Last edited by kendall; 04-02-2016, 02:00 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Does this track and trace issue of windows 10 also apply to the telephone versions.
                            In that case not upgrading to 10 could be wise.
                            I asked a apple seller about the compatibility of the windows system and their computers. He walked of without saying anything.
                            He got my like.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have it, hated it since day one. Thought it would grow on me and I would get used to it but no. Well over a year later now and I still hate it. It is made for phones and those stupid tablet thingies that don't have keyboards, not for PC's or labtops....

                              Andy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X