Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info pop-up's when I go to the Pratical machinist site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info pop-up's when I go to the Pratical machinist site?

I have had a recent problem that when I go the pratical machinist forum I get these pesting pop-up's for spyware and such. God has already forgiven me for what I would like to do these people. Any help, Thank you Craig

Try spybot and see how that works out.

Comment

Simple,
      Don't go there.
      stay here.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Due to the amount of duplicated topics between those two boards, and the number of people that actually cruise both, I think a lot of people watch more than one board.
        From what I understand of the "pop-ups", the problem might be with your computer. The problem gets into your computer,and everytime you do something, it kicks another one up. Wife's computer is full of the darn things, but I have managed to keep my computer free of them. So surfing that other board probably isn't what did it.It is just what is used to set it off.
        David from jax
        A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

The only time I've had pop-up problems either here or at the PM BBS is after amking the mistake of clicking into an add on ebay or some such. It seems that sometimes there are associated spam and pop-ups that are bundled in. I'm running nestscape for my browser and these things invarialbly come up under IE
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

It's not the PM site that is doing it. You have some spyware that is figuring out where you are going and it tries to pop up ads that have some relevance to the site you visit. Use Spybot.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thank you for clarifying that Evan.

There is no way on God's Green Earth Practical Machinist will ever be associated with pop up ads. Personally I think the creators of same should be shot at dawn by firing squad and denied any last requests !

Comment

Yes, just don't go there. I used to attend, but found that the moderator of the areas I was interested in - a contributor to this thread no less - ruled in a very autocratic manner. Hated it, this BBS is sooo much better.

Comment

Evan the last time I used spybot it wiped out part of my operating system and I had all kinds of problems getting the system back up.
                  Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de and run it periodically. It finds and erases spyware, adware, popupware, etc. Leaves your computer squeaky clean.

[This message has been edited by bdarin (edited 05-29-2004).]

Comment

Final solution: Use Firefox 0.8. It does not allow popups and is free.

www.mozilla.org

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

For pop-ups, GOOGLE works fairly well.
                        OR, for money, stopzilla is hard to beat.
                        For Cookies I use Ad-Watch,or Spybot.
                        For Spam, Spam-eater Pro, you can add filters to it, plus it is very capable as is.
                        Needless to say, I detest all this garbage.

Comment

i use the ad-aware program from lavasoft mentioned above and the google toolbar with popup stopper, both free, and i have only seen a couple pop ups in months.
                          if you hold the control button down when you click it will allow the pop up if you need it.(it blocks all pop ups, even the ones you want sometimes)
                          the google bar actually keeps track of how many have been blocked i'm up to 3823 blocked right now and i smile every time the number changes

[This message has been edited by timf (edited 05-30-2004).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kenc:
                            Yes, just don't go there. I used to attend, but found that the moderator of the areas I was interested in - a contributor to this thread no less - ruled in a very autocratic manner. Hated it, this BBS is sooo much better.</font>
                            You sure you mean the PM site? I am completely baffled as to what you could possibly mean.

I have never seen a moderator step in that I remember, aside from one particular thread that really got out of hand, IIRC. I would have pulled the plug way earlier on that one.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

I second using the FireFox Browser! It's not much different than IE 6.0 and they claim that you are immune to all known and future browser hijackers. The reasons quoted from their site:

First, most people use Internet Explorer, so most malicious code is custom built to exploit it. Second, Opera's and Mozilla's programmers take security very seriously and have made these browsers very secure. It is not possible to install software from a web site using these browsers without at least seeing a prompt of some sort asking permission.

Sure stopped my problems with pop-ups!

Comment

Working...
                              X