Adding VAC to Blast Cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding VAC to Blast Cabinet

The blast cabinet I have has two vents for the lack of the proper term. One has a pleated paper filter that seems to work OK or most likely is completely clogged. The other vent has a thick, fibrous filter over it that is useless. It lets a massive amount of stuff through it.

I want to add a shop vac and water bong to the cabinet. I was thinking of sealing up one of the vents and inserting the vaccum hose into the other. What all will I need to do to make this a fairly clean system to operate?

Thank you!

Andy

I would use both ports. The filtered one for intake when the vacuum is running. The shop vac will pull more air than you can put into the blaster through the air hose so it's needs some "venting". The filter will keep media from bouncing out. Place a piece of nylon stocking over the output port then the vacuum hose. Seems a waste of good bong but if you must, keep the suction side high.

Comment

Yes, you still want one of the vents open. On my large cabinet, I did what Ken is proposing. Additionally, I put a cheap HF router speed controller on the shop vac so I could set it down to a more appropriate amount of suction.

Comment

Build/buy a cyclonic separator. That's what I see on many blast cabinet systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Guncraft View Post

I want to add a shop vac and water bong to the cabinet. I was thinking of sealing up one of the vents and inserting the vaccum hose into the other.
          Thank you!

Andy
          If you did as you've described, the cabinet would collapse in on itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
            If you did as you've described, the cabinet would collapse in on itself.
            :-) Or pull the gloves right off you hands. :-) There's an "Old Saying" "Whatever goes out has to go in" . :-)
            ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
              :-) Or pull the gloves right off you hands. :-) There's an "Old Saying" "Whatever goes out has to go in" . :-)
              ...lew...
              Or inflate the gloves to fill the cabinet? ;-)
              If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Are you trying to add an AC outlet?
                What is a water bong?

-D
                DZER

Comment

Put about a teaspoon of dishwasher soap in your bong water. This will help break the surface tension on silica particles for better trapping and lower the chances of mold growing in the bong. Using dishwasher soap will also keep foaming to a minimum, if at all. Any other soap will create a bubble machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Are you trying to add an AC outlet?
                    What is a water bong?

-D
                    Where was "AC outlet" mentioned?

A water bong is nothing more than a filtration device. It works better than a cyclone filter for fine particles. Water filtration (entrapment) of waste particles has been in use for years in paint and powder coat systems. The idea is to draw the exhaust from the blast cabinet through water to trap dust particles.

Comment

I used an old purge fan from a furnace, to draw the dust out and blow it outdoors. Works real good, if you have no neighbors close by.

Comment

I use my shop vacuum attached to a shop made manifold; left the inlet filter open with a mesh filter on both inlet and at the vacuum port The manifold goes along the back and front, from 2" PVC with holes spaced about 6" as I recall. It is mounted using wooden blocks as close to the top of the cabinet as i could get it and it does not block the window. Does a great job of keeping the dust down so that I can actually see the part I am blasting.

Richard

Comment

You guys are over thinking this problem. Simply add a vacuum hose port at the highest point on the cabinet on one end and connect a small, cheap, shop vac that uses the small hose size. Wire up the vac to the interior light sw. About once a year you might need to empty the vac tank and clean its filter. I have been running my bead blaster cabinet that way for 20 years with nary a problem.

RWO

Comment

We have one of those cheap ones at the museum, with a tiny useless filter. I fitted a two foot length of plastic pipe (100mm soil vent) coming out of the top like an old ships funnel with a wet and dry vacuum cleaner filter, about 6" diameter and 6" long to the top. The fine dust eventually clogs the inside of the filter. Then some dumb fool, usually me, takes it out the back and blasts it with an air line.

Comment

What I did for mine was simply run the vac hose from the side of the cabinet (hose fit the hole in the side) and opened the port in the back and covered over it with cloth. I turn on the shop vac before I start blasting and it draws enough air from the backside to "inflate" the gloves =). My shop vac has a filter bag which you must have in order to keep from fouling out the motor. I'll post pictures of my setup so you all can see it. very effective and cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X