Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Can you tack this back together for me?"

Yeah, I'll get right on it.
    Last edited by winchman; 04-21-2016, 11:52 PM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Must of come from New Hampshire
    Dean
    www.neufellmachining.com

Comment

Get out the roll of duct tape...

Comment

Yea, right!
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Leaky oil seal, re-caps, and now this.
          Why am I not surprised?
          They're always shocked to find out you can't weld rust.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I think they sell something on late night TV that'll fix that in a jiffy.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              Leaky oil seal, re-caps, and now this.
              Why am I not surprised?
              They're always shocked to find out you can't weld rust.
              Nah clearly they want you to do direct arc reduction to refine all the rust back into steel.... :P
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

That being a boat trailer, where's the boat? Lake bottom????

Comment

That looked like the average job I got welding vehicles, I used to wonder if they thought a welding set was in fact a magic wand, and when I got the under seal off I usually found the rest no better, the last car I worked on before I decided this was not the way to make money was a MGB, open top, the guy said it needed new cills, and begged to have it done, I said I'd look at it, got it off the floor the cills were rotten the floor was rotten the diaphragm plates were MIA, the inner cills were slightly shorter than expected, so I told him his pride and joy was a basket case, I made the mistake of bowing under pressure to do the job, stiched the front of the car to the back end via 2 lengths of channel and proceeded to cut, the back wings off cill, inner outer and diaphragm floor, replaced the lot, rang him and asked him to pick up some door hinges as they were worn, he said stick them back on and they would get done later, so I did (mistake no 25) resonated the thing, hung the doors, which would work but fouled the body when closing due to sag, but working, he came to pick it up, at one point the only thing between the front and back of the car was the electrical loom, brake pipes, and tunnel, the car was 3/4 missing.
                  He drove it out of my shop, walked round it ( it now had a new MOT too, roadworthy test I had to replace the brake pipe one side and all the pads) opened and closed the doors and said they were fouling, that's right I said, I asked you for new hinges, that's why they are sagging, he then denied that bit, told me I'd butchered his car and it was now out of line and added there was no way he was paying!
                  I was tempted to beat the crap out of him to be honest, a months work!
                  He got in and drove off, I was left stunned, I'd never had that done to me before, ever.
                  He sold the car at quite a profit, I found he'd bought it at scrap price and the family heirloom story was lies.
                  Never touched another car since, except my own of course, nor will I, a regular stream of people used to turn up to be told "don't touch cars anymore" even the ones I'd worked for got turned away, perhaps that was a mistake but there we go,
                  Mark

Comment

Gorilla glue.

Comment

Long time ago, a friend of my dad had the same problem with an engine mount on his old car and, since he was a carpenter, he repaired it with a nice structure made out of wood.
                      Helder Ferreira
                      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

The spring on my trailer recently broke, and I jacked it up and using a 4x4 hunk of wood to keep the frame off the axle so I could drive the trailer home...but then I replaced the spring.

Comment

That was a pretty common sight on UK based rwd ford transits because of road salt and nobody taking care of a old builders van, in fact they used to sell a dedicated chassis repair section for the area with the spring hanger hole bush support ready welded in etc. One would come into a friends garage "for just a quick plate to be stuck on and they'd ring the customer to tell them what was needed after a cursory glance and just cut off all the mess and bodges already limping it along and weld one of the repair sections in, then the customer would bitch about the cost of doing it properly.
                          I inherited a transit with the derelict neighboring house I bought last year, it was abandoned in the garage. Went underneath for a look as theyre getting rare now, and chassis rotted front and rear in the usual places. Its our archery target backstop now with a few new holes in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                            Gorilla glue.
                            Don't be ridiculous! JB Weld.
                            www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                              Long time ago, a friend of my dad had the same problem with an engine mount on his old car and, since he was a carpenter, he repaired it with a nice structure made out of wood.
                              Reminds me of the story my Dad told me. He is a mechanic and rebuilds aircooled VW motors regularly. Many years ago someone took him their Beetle as it wasn't running right (missing on one cylinder occasionally). The man was a carpenter. My Dad disassembled the motor and found a wooden lifter. He questioned the man on it, and he said it was made of of hardwood so it should be ok.
                              www.thecogwheel.net

Comment

Working...
                              X