Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Smart phone" security - what to bu and be safe(r) with with yioyr cell/mobile phone?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Smart phone" security - what to bu and be safe(r) with with yioyr cell/mobile phone?

This item came in today and I thought it might be of interest to some here who might wish to comment and help the rest of us.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/want-a-...tag=TRE5369823

What is the safer? IOS9s or android?

IOS without a doubt. I have a 4s bought in 2010. Still running on the latest IOS. Any android phone will be stuck on the OS version that shipped with it. The phone manufactures are responsible with the OS maintenance/updates on android phones. And they don't do it. Even if you buy a Nexus from Google. You will be stuck on that version of the Android OS.

***"If you buy a Nexus from Google. You will get new OSs and security updates to the old OS if Google feels like it. You should be OK for your 2 year phone contract. After that good luck."
    Last edited by H380; 04-23-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks H380.

And that is pretty well why my wife and I bought a new IOS9s each recently. We also had excellent advice as to which make to buy - and it turned out to be "spot on".

We get our support/advisor to do our updates - cost is minimal and most time free as we do a lot of buying from that source too.

The service and maintenance here is excellent so with a bit (a lot??) of luck we are in good shape.

We pretty well use ours as a mobile/cell phone, checking our banking and the weather and they work very well.
      Last edited by oldtiffie; 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I would say ios9 would be safer, but you're going to pay the price in many ways. Your phone won't last three years, and the software updates as soon as the new model is released will start to bug your phone into making it run slower.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Comment

Later Android phones (running 5.x or 6.x) suit me just fine. Don't get me wrong I like Iphones but I can get 3 decent Android for the price of an equivalent Iphone, and more importantly (for me) I can put whatever size SDRam card them. No... I don't use "the cloud". I'm brutal on phones; I go though way to many each year. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
            I would say ios9 would be safer, but you're going to pay the price in many ways. Your phone won't last three years, and the software updates as soon as the new model is released will start to bug your phone into making it run slower.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
            It may be cost in more than money terms.

It is not so much what it costs to pay for the security included with the IOS9s as compared to others but what may well happen if you buy too little.

I value the peace of mind the IOS9s (Apple) gives us.

The contract we have with our communications provider includes replacement when a new IPhone is released. I will get them to transfer all data from the existing to the new phone.

Your phone won't last three years, and the software updates as soon as the new model is released will start to bug your phone into making it run slower.
            Our current IPhone is a lot faster than we need so the newer update should not concern us too much if at all.

Comment

Many people buy android beacuse it is not Apple, end of story
              My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Originally posted by H380 View Post
                IOS without a doubt. I have a 4s bought in 2010. Still running on the latest IOS. Any android phone will be stuck on the OS version that shipped with it. The phone manufactures are responsible with the OS maintenance/updates on android phones. And they don't do it. Even if you buy a Nexus from Google. You will be stuck on that version of the Android OS.
                Better to change supplier then, here they do update as soon as a new version is out.
                Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Carrying a gun is safer than carrying a cell phone.
                  And besides, most people carrying gun actually look at what is around them.
                  Most people carrying a cell phone only look at the cell phone.

-Doozer
                  Last edited by Doozer; 04-23-2016, 09:04 AM.
                  DZER

Comment

The recent SS7 weakness identified makes this a pointless discussion, since SS7 attacks the carriers signalling network layer its irrelevant how secure you think your mobile phone os is. Even if it wasn't before as its mostly illusions of security and privacy to give us warm fuzzies while quietly people have remote capability hooks into almost everything anyway.
                    I just don't use my phone for anything that would cost me money if it got compromised, and I don't use my computer that handles the money stuff to play games on, chat to people on facebook or post on forums with. Electrical isolation. End of problem.

Comment

In case you've somehow managed to miss it while searching for "mobile phone security" articles.
                      http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...ion/2016-04-21

Comment

Doozer...can I steal that quote?? It would make a great signature line on another forum...:-)
                        Joe

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          Carrying a gun is safer than carrying a cell phone.
                          And besides, most people carrying gun actually look at what is around them.
                          Most people carrying a cell phone only look at the cell phone.

-Doozer
                          I agree 100%, but I have found it as difficult to make phone calls on my handguns as it is to shoot stuff with my phone. So I try to carry both. And a knife or two. Every job has a tool...

Comment

This is a very good example of why phone advice is seldom impartial. A very small subset of the population actually uses both, and an even smaller subset has any insider information as to internals of the software or upcoming company policies.

I have used both, but abandoned Apple 7 or 8 years ago for Android. The phone was not bad, but it was tied to AT&T at the time, and AT&T had a terrible black hole right in the middle of town. I carefully compared a top of the line android with a top of the line flip phone and the newest (at the time) iphone as we took a 1,500 mile vacation trip. I had a month to play with them before the time expired to return the android or cancel the iphone.

I found that they all had strengths and weaknesses. I got better coverage on the Android than I did the other two. When there was a dropped data connection, the android was much quicker to re-establish. I was able to find an equivalent android app (not always the same one) for everything that I was using on the iphone. I canceled the iphone and have not regretted it at all.

I've had several Android models from different manufacturers and carriers. They have all been updated at about the same rate as the apple products. The apps are updated much more frequently, but the OS updates are every 6 to 12 months, IF i care to upgrade.

Like the apples, the update sometimes depends on your hardware. If I still had my first android phone, it would be running a 3 year old OS simply because it does not have the memory needed for the latest OSes. Apple does the same thing. A 4 year old iphone can be rejuvenated with a fresh battery, but don't count on getting the latest OS installed. The last time I looked they don't test the OS with "end of life" products.

Both Apple and Android are equally susceptible to hackers. The hacks come by way of trojans as well as malware injected from email and web sites. I run a commercial virus scanner to ensure that I don't download a trojan, and I am finicky about what sites I visit and how many scripts and of what kind that can execute.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Any android phone will be stuck on the OS version that shipped with it.
                              That's simply not true. I have had two phones which have updated to an entirely new Android version.
                              Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                              Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                              Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Working...
                              X