Any bass boat guys use power poles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any bass boat guys use power poles

Anyone out there use power poles on their bass boats? The reason I ask is because I was out fishing yesterday and could really have used a couple on the back to anchor myself. After looking up the price I realized there is no way ill spend 1000+ a piece for some aluminum, plastic, and some sort of linear actuator.

Soooo anyone thought about building them? They dont seem to complicated my only real concern comes from what type of actuator to use.

Any ideas ??

I too have had thoughts of building power poles, been to busy at this time but will follow this thread.
    Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Originally posted by fastfire View Post
      I too have had thoughts of building power poles, been to busy at this time but will follow this thread.
      Well I wouldnt be holding my breath LOL.. It will be a long while before I can get to giving this a whirl.

I was doing a little more research on how the production versions are made. It appears they use some sort of hydraulic cylinder and pump like from a trim unit. I dont really want to go that route as the cylinders and pumps are expensive. Any thoughts on going with Air ??

Comment

When I was a kid, we lived in Florida and my dad had a boat. We went fishing about every weekend of our lives. We went the redneck way... dad bought two wood closet rods, sharpened one end, and sealed them with polyurethane. We would stick them where we wanted and tie the boat off... Now, I know this isn't as convenient as PowerPoles, but its on the cheap.

Andy

Comment

In salt water they don't last. I have not seen one on a boat actually fishing in at least 2 years. They were the rage a few years ago. I just have 2 anchors in the boat. I use a mushroom anchor in the back on windy days when bottom fishing.

Comment

I had to look up 'power pole' -never heard of it. Looks like another device to separate weekend warriors from their money

Comment

I use them all the time.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

I've had the same thought about making one after seeing the price. There doesn't seem like there is much to them for the price, but I imagine the devil is in the details. But then I realize I'm not a tournament pro, and would rather be fishing, instead of making things for fishing. They do look handy though.

If I had those bucks to spend on fishing gadgets, I'd much rather have a side scanning sonar, with a gps trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  I use them all the time.

-Doozer
                  Perfect for the Great Lakes fisherman.

Comment

I have the salt water "sort of" equivalent to a bass boat.
                    It's called a Flats Boat and is popular in Florida and the Bahamas for fishing for bone fish and other shallow water species. It is 18 foot long and draws about 6 inches of water. It weighs only 600 pounds.
                    Flats boats are very light and have a raised platform on the back where you can stand and pole the boat through the flats. The 100 HP engine will push my Flats Boat 50 MPH with two people on board.
                    The pole is made of Kevlar/glass and is almost 24 foot long.
                    It has a sharp point on one end and a small tee on the other.
                    There is a bracket on the transom where the pole can be inserted to anchor the boat in water up to about 10 feet deep.
                    The pole for Flats Boats and the bracket are available and would work like a power pole probably at much lower cost. You can find them on line if you search for push poles.
                    Bill
                    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Why not just anchors? We have had electric anchors on our fishing boat for nearly 20 years now, I love them! They work in 1' of water as well as 60'. Also they don't look all goofy sticking up in the back of the boat. Hard to fallow a fish around the back of the boat with a pole sticking up 10' in the air.
                      Andy

Comment

The point of a push pole on a Flats Boat is to PUSH the boat in water so shallow you cannot use the engine.
                        The ability to lock the boat in one position is just an added benefit.
                        Flats Boats have anchors as well.
                        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                          The point of a push pole on a Flats Boat is to PUSH the boat in water so shallow you cannot use the engine.
                          The ability to lock the boat in one position is just an added benefit.
                          Flats Boats have anchors as well.
                          Bill
                          The OP is asking about anchoring his bass boat, not pushing it.
                          Andy

Comment

Sorry!
                            I was sure he said power pole not anchor.
                            I was trying to point out a less expensive option.
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                              Why not just anchors? We have had electric anchors on our fishing boat for nearly 20 years now, I love them! They work in 1' of water as well as 60'. Also they don't look all goofy sticking up in the back of the boat. Hard to fallow a fish around the back of the boat with a pole sticking up 10' in the air.
                              Hummmm you did make me think about something. Those poles sticking up in the back might give the guy fishing in the rear a headache. I could see myself wacking them while trying to cast over and over.

Comment

Working...
                              X