Rockwell 11" Lathe DRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockwell 11" Lathe DRO

There is a lot of comment here on DRO types and installs.

Has anyone installed a DRO on a Rockwell 11" lathe? If so what type and how did you do it?

I tried the Rockwell forum and there was little response as it looks like it is difficult to do.

Bill

I didn't find it particularly difficult, maybe just a bit finicky aligning the DRO scale left-right travel. The one I installed is the cheapo igaging product. It was a matter of drilling and tapping the back of the bed for attaching the scale and the underside of the saddle to attach the traveler (1 axis).

I can see trying to attach a DRO to the cross feed might be a challenge, but I don't favor that as, for me, cheap DROs don't have the precision to be of much use for Y axis application.
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

A little off topic but I'm going To look at a Rockwell 11"today. How do you like the lathe? I'm looking at a similarly sized clausing as well.

Sent from my SM-S766C using Tapatalk

Comment

I have an 11 in. Rockwell for 15 years it is a nice lathe for its size, it has been handy for small project. Mine is 120 volt and came with a turret attachment and I had to purchase a tailstock for it. I bought it with a Burke Millrite as a package. Just changed out the Burke for an old Bridgeport. I did the igaging thing to my Burke mill, but for almost the same price I used the chinese dros 3 xyz for the Bridgeport for under $300. I still have a Yuriy bluetooth Digital Read Out for the igageing that I will sell for $60. I used it on my Burke.
        Ed
        Agua Dulce, So.California
        1950 F1 street rod
        1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
        1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
        1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
        1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Hi, for lathe DRO kits, i recommend two type for you. One is lathe simple DRO and another one is mutli-DRO.
          Do you know the travels of the X,Z axis ?

Comment

Originally posted by KEJR View Post
            A little off topic but I'm going To look at a Rockwell 11"today. How do you like the lathe? I'm looking at a similarly sized clausing as well.

I had an 11" Rockwell and currently have a 12" Clausing. Somewhere on this site I did a write up on the differences between each. Overall they are both very similar machines. There were a few things I thought were better on the Rockwell and a few better on the Clausing. IF both were in similar conditions I really dont know which one I would go with. I guess it would come down to price.

Comment

Originally posted by KEJR View Post

I have had mine now for about 15 years and love it. Does everything that I want. I am trying to get better precision and am thinking about some sort of DRO. I hve everything for it except the taper attachment and a follow rest.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Jeason View Post
                Hi, for lathe DRO kits, i recommend two type for you. One is lathe simple DRO and another one is mutli-DRO.
                Do you know the travels of the X,Z axis ?
                The lathe has a bed of 24" I need to measure the travel What I am interested in is some pix of an intallation.

Bill

Comment

The Rockwell bed I found to be very uniform, but there's enough play in the included hardware (brackets) that allow to adjust any variations. Install, of course, might vary depending on product brand, etc.

You can see the scale terminates just under the chuck. The wire loops around and the readout magnetically sticks to the tailstock. I haven't had any problems with travel visa-vee the wire, but am extra careful when sweeping the sharp chips in the bed.
                  Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

Gary,

Is that glass or magnetic? Did you do the compound?

Bill

Comment

Working...
                    X