DROs DROs DROs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DROs DROs DROs

This forum has had 382.8 threads about DROs in the past 9.5 days.
    Well, not quite that many but almost.

I have a little 6X26 knee mill that I would like to put a DRO on.
    God help me!
    I keep watching here to see what I should buy and every thread changes my mind.
    I think I'll make a target out of the 100s of recommendations and throw a dart at it.
    Why can't all of you say I should buy the same thing or at least boil it down to 2 or 3 choices.
    There can't be that many good DROs.
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
    This forum has had 382.8 threads about DROs in the past 9.5 days.
    Well, not quite that many but almost.

I have a little 6X26 knee mill that I would like to put a DRO on.
    God help me!
    I keep watching here to see what I should buy and every thread changes my mind.
    I think I'll make a target out of the 100s of recommendations and throw a dart at it.
    Why can't all of you say I should buy the same thing or at least boil it down to 2 or 3 choices.
    Bill
    Maybe it just comes down to the fact that ALL DRO's with glass scales are GOOD enough to buy.

Comment

My 6x16 knee mill has the set from Shars. It's really, really nice. I have become spoiled by it.

I'm not sure where you get them, but there is a model with 4 scales , where the knee and quill are combined to give you the tool location regardless of whether you are lowering the knee or using the quill.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

DRO's wives, cars, houses etc anything of value that requires a large investment and has a useful span of years probably should go through some kind of acquisition process before committing.

Do your research
        Define your requirements,
        Study the market
        Consult with experts,
        Set a budget
        Listen to (without being suckered in by) sales people
        Refine your choices and compare them to their applications
        Determine if requirements have changed and repeat steps if necessary
        Comparison shop for goods meeting requirements, including guarantees, cost of consumables, service intervals etc.
        Determine necessary spares and the need for them to be on hand
        If all is acceptable commit to buy.

Most people skip many MANY steps.

For the record these steps are what I could remember of a Federal purchaser class I took in 1986 or so. I left out part having to do with matching customer requirements to market availability, in house resources, build Vs buy, commonality/integration with existing programs/equipment, equipment surplus to other activities, etc.

We worked every day from a similar check list that apparently wasn't followed ramping up to the Iraq War. Pallets of $20's in $100 blocks of currency shipped without a DD-250?
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 05-08-2016, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Forrest
          I think I'll send your response to the engineers and purchasing agents at my company.
          It will save me a LOT of money.
          Thank you!

Now if you just knew something about DROs-------------
          LOL!
          Bill

Comment

DRO? DRO. It's here someplace. Dogs Reacting Ordinarily? Dirty Rotten Oklahomans? Ombudsmen? Oboists?

It'll come to me.

Comment

Now that brought a laugh!!
              Bill

Comment

I think I might get a cheap one off ebay when the time comes. Like bandsaws they all seem the same, just different colors and name on the front and price depending where you buy it from.
                Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                  Bill
                  You're right. Heidenhain and Newall. There you go. Does that make it any easier?

Comment

Like many things you often don't know what you don't know until you actually have one. Years ago when I was fairly computer savvy people would ask me what to buy. I'd tell them to buy any one. The next one you buy will be what you really need.

Comment

I recently installed the TouchDRO for Android http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html

If you're on a tight budget, it's less than half the cost of most other 'real' DRO setups. Once nice thing is that you can start off using cheap Chinese scales, and upgrade to better quality scales later on without changing much. I'm still fine tuning mine, but it seems accurate to +/ .001 over several inches... more than good enough for the work I do. I'll also be adding a tachometer to mine soon... the extra hardware needed for that costs about $10 including some neodymium magnets.

Details of my install are on my YouTube channel. www.youtube.com/chipmaker1066 - *Warning - Very Bad Amateur Machinist Content Alert *

Comment

Originally posted by spongerich View Post
                        I'm still fine tuning mine, but it seems accurate to +/ .001 over several inches...
                        The accuracy depends on the exact scales you have, but if you have those "caliper" scales, they are pretty much that much off, doesn't matter what the distance is, the error is (can be) still there.
                        Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                          wives -- anything of value -- large investment and has a useful span of years probably should go through some kind of acquisition process before committing.

Do your research
                          Define your requirements,
                          Study the market
                          Consult with experts,
                          Set a budget
                          Listen to (without being suckered in by) sales people
                          Refine your choices and compare them to their applications
                          Determine if requirements have changed and repeat steps if necessary
                          Comparison shop for goods meeting requirements, including guarantees, cost of consumables, service intervals etc.
                          Determine necessary spares and the need for them to be on hand
                          If all is acceptable commit to buy.

Most people skip many MANY steps.
                          now you tell me! I knew I should have listened to the Wife Acquisition Department before investing in my wife. Instead I just took her dancing, started tickling her when we got back and before you know it, 16 years have passed..

Comment

If it isn't glass scales, it's not really worth it. The cheap chinese scales are not much good for anything other than counting revolutions on the hand wheel, you're better off using the dials to get to that last .001

Comment

It's considered abuse if you tickle someone for 16 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X