Welding with my CNC router (VIDEO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding with my CNC router (VIDEO)

Let me know if me posting my videos here is problematic/annoying.
    I don't usually post all of them, but I noticed a thread complaining about lack of content.

Always had a nagging temptation to try welding with my cnc router.. here are the preliminary results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFXn...ature=youtu.be

Hah. Neat. But your stick out was was too long. What you need to do is add a voltage sensing circuit to the welder to control the distance of the gun from the work. You might be able to modify a torch height controller for a plasma cutter to handle do that, there are a couple that work with Mach 3. You would want to adjust the values of the voltage divider board to work with the 10x lower voltage of the MIG, it will also give you better voltage resolution at that range.

Comment

If your TIG welder doesn't have scratch start and /only/ has hi-freq arc start that really stinks. If you want it out of your sight I guess I could take if off your hands....

Comment

Tony--that was great. thank you. I didn't get what you were saying about 3D printing the pipe. I didn't think that was possible. Did I misunderstand something?--Brian
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

impressive, way to go.

Comment

Brian, Tony was just being funny. You missed nothing but his sardonic and occasionally demented (but very much appreciated) humor.

Comment

Is that a Kemppi welder ?

Don't see many of those here in the States.

Comment

Thanks all.

Brian, yes, my apologies.. bad joke perhaps

Andre.. that sounds tongue-in-cheek but there are a ton of times I'd have killed for a scratch start option. Especially on large
                or cumbersome stuff, not having to kick a foot pedal around all over the place would be stellar.

CalM: Cebora welder.

macona: stick-out was tricky. It gets better later in the video after I removed the startup delay, but early on I was basically "timing"
                based on how far away I was. Problem is I can't do (or don't know how to do) simultaneous moves. I'd want to start the torch the
                exact moment the machine starts moving. Ditto for stopping. If you compare the welds at 4 mins or so.. the side by side pieces, you'll
                note the earlier welds have very large heads and tails due to the delay.

Comment

Okay--I thought perhaps my chain was being yanked a little with that 3D printing comment, but up here in the land of the bear and the beaver, I'm never absolutely certain that I have a 100% accurate version of what's happening in technology today.---Brian
                  Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                    Okay--I thought perhaps my chain was being yanked a little with that 3D printing comment, but up here in the land of the bear and the beaver, I'm never absolutely certain that I have a 100% accurate version of what's happening in technology today.---Brian
                    coincidentally I was in Timmins yesterday, and actually saw in the wild a bear and beaver....it really is the land of

Comment

If you are using a spindle command to stop/start the motor mach3 had a minimum delay that can't be overridden. There are ways to directly trigger outputs in real time. One option is to use an unused axis and use the direction pin. Command a positive direction to turn the output and a negative direction move to turn it off. Or vice-versa depending on the direction setting.

Generally though, you do want a little dwell time at the start of the weld.

Comment

Nice video Tony and very entertaining. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Brian
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

macona.. thanks that's quite interesting; I've got some reading to do.

Comment

Just a quick note to say that 3D printing steel is actually a thing....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g8sT8ESfjrg

Comment

Adatesman--very impressive video. I haven't seen that before. I don't imagine that set-up will be finding it's way into too many home workshops. But to be fair, that is the first time I have seen a method of building up a "solid metal" matrix rather than metal powder suspended in some kind of polymer.---Brian
                              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Working...
                              X