Kermit is getting a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kermit is getting a friend

If you followed the thread "a dollar a day for a year" you would have watched my progress building the Gary Martin hand powered shaper. Because I painted it green, my wife named it Kermit.

There is going to be a new friend for Kermit. Yesterday I received the drawings for building a turret attachment for a Sherline lathe. The drawings are from downrivertools.com and at first look seem to be quite complete. A friend owed me some money and is paying me with a brand new Sherline lathe.

As I await the lathe, the task will be to sort through the materials locker for needed stock and then order in what I don't have.

So the real question is "has anybody built one of these and if so what were high and low points of the project?"

I know the following: 1) It is small. 2) I really don't need one, but it will be a fun build 3) not at all interested in a CNC lathe at this time. 4) I can peruse the drawings and plan while keeping my wife company and " kinda watching" some crappy television. 5) because of size the material costs will be low 6) It does not alter the lathe except to take off the tailstock and replace with the turret.

Pete

I thought this was going to be about Kermit getting a lifemate to help brainwash the kiddies.

I've got one for the 12x36" A/C lathe. I think I used it twice in the past 10-12 years just to say I did. Mine has 1/2" holes so any tool you plan to use in it is special or needs an adaptor. PITA to set up as far as I'm concerned. It's faster to just pop in a MT2 tool off the rack.

Comment

The Downriver Tools turret is a true bed turret, not the MT turret that is a tailstock accessory. I have no experience with them other than seeing them at NAMES for the past several years. They do look like a useable addition to the lathe if that is what you want.

http://downrivertools.com
      Jim H.

Comment

Gents

Downriver has drawings for the tools as well. Keep in mind that the building is for enjoyment. As the lathe is not altered, the cost will be about "two bits a day for a year".

Pete

Comment

I have not built one, but up until recently I was kicking around design ideas in my head for one, thinking I might build one for my Rivett. Turns out it's no longer necessary... to avoid a spoiler on a future post of mine, let's just say I have a turret lathe now and so I won't be building one unless I decide it would be useful for my geneva style watchmaker's lathe (pretty unlikely).

Pete, I remember you telling me about the project idea a while back and I think it will be a great one to follow. I look forward to seeing what you do!

I suspect that if you're following good plans it shouldn't be too bad at all, but designing your own could get fiddly when it comes to a repeatable and reliable auto-advance mechanism. If you were using something like an asymmetrically staggered box turning tool in the turret, resulting in uneven cutting pressure for part of the operation, the obvious solution of a spring to eliminate any backlash in the advance mechanism seems like a poor idea. I'm curious to disassemble mine to see how the maker designed to account for this (if at all).
          Max
          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Max

I have taken a short look at the plans. Most of the parts are simple and just require craftsmanship in their execution. As I have stated, this is a "for fun" project. It will appear weird enough to the non-machining types that I might name it Gonzo.

Pictures will follow when the chips fly.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
              Max

I have taken a short look at the plans. Most of the parts are simple and just require craftsmanship in their execution. As I have stated, this is a "for fun" project. It will appear weird enough to the non-machining types that I might name it Gonzo.

Pictures will follow when the chips fly.

Pete
              Haha I love the name, and appreciate the Muppets theme. Whenever I name a set of things I tend to lean toward a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy theme. Never named any of my machines, but maybe I should start referring to my Rivett as Slartibartfast.
              Max

Comment

Perhaps I have Aspergers, but I take thread titles literally, and was wondering why the hell theres a thread about Kermit the frog on a machinist forum... A dollar a day? Same thing, not going to look at a thread about personal finance.

Comment

RB211 A while ago I built a shaper and shared the build with the forum. The kit cost $365.00 hence the title. The shaper was painted Green and my wife named it Kermit. It follows that the turret lathe I am building needs a name as well.

Maybe it is stupid but I have fun with the builds and the names are for fun as well.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
                    RB211 A while ago I built a shaper and shared the build with the forum. The kit cost $365.00 hence the title. The shaper was painted Green and my wife named it Kermit. It follows that the turret lathe I am building needs a name as well.

Maybe it is stupid but I have fun with the builds and the names are for fun as well.

Pete
                    A little whimsy goes a long way, in my book. Don't let negative vibes get to you, do you what you want and post what you want. I know there are a lot of people here who will enjoy it, even if they don't post about it.
                    Max

Comment

You should name it Miss Piggy! If the turret has five positions, you could sing the nursery rhyme:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Little_Piggy

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
                      P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
                      and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Working...
                      X