Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is adding hardener to paint really neccessary ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is adding hardener to paint really neccessary ?

Original thread:
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...olor-paint-for

Ok, after much foot work I finally decided to use Ace Hardware farm implement paint. As someone suggested the Ford Gray is close in matching and I like the color. I also plan to use the Majic harderner from Tractor Supply.

As you guys pointed out the paint at TS is no longer made by Valspar...BUT...the Ace Hardware paint is! If you check the MSDS sheet for a product it wll tell you who the manufacturer is.

I just spent $70 purchasing a 3M respirator with appropriate cartridges for using paint harderner. Is there any real value in using the hardener? My biggest concern is having the paint resist the cutting fluids used on the lathe.

Thanks
    TD

If you want a better chemical resistance and better shine and harder surface then yes. If you could care less then don't. : )

Comment

I re-painted my milling machine. It was a good industrial rustoleum paint, not something you can buy at the hardware store. I did not use any hardener in it although after the fact it probably would have been a good idea. While it dries to the touch it does stay "soft" for a long time. I can't imagine the paint you have will be any different.

Comment

Hum! Does that hardener work with latex paints or just with oil based ones?
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Latex paint is good for painting the walls of your house.
          Nothing else. Period. It sucks hard monkey balls for anything real.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Doozer, your post always crack me up. Where a simple no would do who just answer so much better
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

"sucks hard monkey balls" is the technical term for "works terrible"

Comment

Originally posted by dodgebros View Post
                Original thread:
                http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...olor-paint-for

Ok, after much foot work I finally decided to use Ace Hardware farm implement paint. As someone suggested the Ford Gray is close in matching and I like the color. I also plan to use the Majic harderner from Tractor Supply.

As you guys pointed out the paint at TS is no longer made by Valspar...BUT...the Ace Hardware paint is! If you check the MSDS sheet for a product it wll tell you who the manufacturer is.

I just spent $70 purchasing a 3M respirator with appropriate cartridges for using paint harderner. Is there any real value in using the hardener? My biggest concern is having the paint resist the cutting fluids used on the lathe.

Thanks
                TD
                What are the appropriate cartridges for the paint hardener?

I was under the impression that the hardeners were similar to the iso-cyanates in 2-part polyurethanes, and no approved cartridges are available for them. They, that is the2-part polyurethanes, require supplied air respirators, and the approved respirators are only for emergency escape from a contaminated area.

Comment

There and I thought the chinglish technical term "suck hard the monkey balls" was part of the fume extractor manual I read recently, I'm glad I now know it was supposed to be part of the fault finding section, eg suck hard the monkey balls= machine not working clean the monkey fudge catcher with hedgehog brush.
                  I don't really understand the idea of an optional hardner in a paint, with the exception of some UV cure stuff, if the paint is designed to use a hardener to cross link the strands of polyester then leaving it out will mean the stuff may dry but never cure?
                  The solvent will evaporate but it's going to be tacky forever, any exposure to solvent will get it to reflow
                  Mark

Comment

Use the hardener. It doesn't cost much. Use a good chemical mask if you spray the paint. Look at it this way--If you don't use the hardener and paint anyways, then regret not using hardener, you are going to have to strip it all and repaint again anyways with hardener. I have never heard of anyone who used hardener then regretted using it.
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

dodgebros,
                      Before spraying this hardener, go to Majic's website and look at the full description for the use of this hardener. They refer to using an air supplied respirator system as cameron mentioned above.

Comment

I did not use hardener but i used equipment paint and no problem with the paint. Hardener can only be used with oil base paint. I painted a tractor and attachments i used hardener with that paint it will last longer. If you decide on hardener make sure you use a full face mask with good filters you will have to spray that. Hardener is outlawed in Europe and Canada if you get it in your lungs it will not be good

Comment

If you want a good paint, instead of "adding whatever" just buy a 2 part paint designed for that purpose. Automobile polyurethane paint (primer, base coat, clear coat) is superb for machines. Same spraying risk of course.

If you just have something small to do ... try these : http://www.eastwood.com/paints/2k-ae...ay-paints.html Several other similar systems available also.
                          Last edited by lakeside53; 05-30-2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

There was a time (hope it's over) where guys building Homebuilt planes were using Sears latex Wetherbeater ext paint with the thought that it lasts 20+ years on a house that was outside & a plane is outside 2% of it's life. I wish I'd known about the monkey balls thing back then. LOL!
                            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                            country, in easy stages."
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Thanks guys for all the comments. I am aware of the dangers of breathing iso-cyanates. That is why I went to Graingers and purchased a 3M half mask and the cartridges rated for iso-cyanates. The salesman even called their tech line and go their advice on the right cartridges for the hardener so I feel comfortable with setup I have as I will be BRUSHING / ROLLING the paint on. 3M even has an online document that says no mask is needed if brushing / rolling the paint on.
                              So after reading all the posts from you guys I will be adding the hardener just to be sure to get the most durable finish I can get.

Thanks everyone,
                              TD
                              Last edited by dodgebros; 05-30-2016, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X