Toyota Corolla Hitch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Corolla Hitch???

After many years of F250- 460 engine powered towing I just cant afford long trips to go fishing. I bought a toyota corolla 1996 vintage. Trailer hitch and subframe holes align OK but there are no threads in the subframe to bolt the hitch to it.??? Are these model vehicles a weld on type of application? I asked my hitch shop and they actually said ...DUH...!!! Im hoping the Toyota can tow my 14 foot mirrocraft OK. Any good ideas on mounting the trailer hitch safely onto the Toyota? Thanks Mike

I don't know about 1996, but I put a trailer hitch on a 2004 Corolla with no problem. At this point I can't swear to there being threaded holes, but there were either threaded holes or I was able to use nuts and bolts. I'll try to remember to crawl under and look. I got a Draw-Tite hitch.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

There are NO weld on hitches for vehicles.
      Andy

Comment

Can't you use locknuts? My hitched are bolted & welded but pull much more than a boat.

Comment

Use toggle bolts.
          That should hold it.

-D
          DZER

Comment

I installed a hitch on a vehicle like that ('98 Jetta) and it used 'nutserts' that were inserted into the holes and then tightened to crimp them into place. Then the bolts threaded into them.

Comment

Find directions from the hitch manufacturer. It's not uncommon that there is an opening somewhere so you can insert the nut and washer, and then fiddle around to get them over the appropriate holes.

Do it by the book or don't do it. Hitch failure is ugly and potentially lethal.

Comment

There seems to be no shortage of hitches available for your 96 Corolla.
                The link below is just one example.
                200 pound tongue weight, 2000 pound gross towing weight.
                Installation time 50 min., drilling required. By the way you can download a pdf of the install if you like from the link below.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eid=1996301138
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

a couple of the hitches I've installed on vehicles came with small threaded plates for nuts that fit inside the frame rails. A length of 1/16th wire was welded to each plate to position them through some access hole nearby. Fiddly, but it worked. It takes about one winter for those wires to rust off ;-)

Comment

Thanx for replies. The thing was there had to be a cut out done beneath the frame member (which I thought weakened it considerably) Then nuts could be inserted? What a silly thing. It wasnt simple like the class 4 hitches I mounted on my f 250 fords. Thanx Guys.!!

Comment

A friend both had 3cyl Geos & made hitches & I found a tiny alum hardtop camper that folded out sideways with the canvas gone & it did OK but wouldn't want to tow thru the mountains.

Comment

I have installed a few hitches on small cars and many included plates and bolts that are fished into place with a wire. Usually there is an opening that will let the plate and wire enter. The wire has a coil on one end to thread the bolt into. The plate is then added and the wire is then inserted into the opening followed by the plate and then the bolt. The wire is fed to the hole and the plate is the backer for the bolt which is pulled into place. The wire is left on until you have the hitch in place and then just pulled off. The openings are usually already there and not in a place that would weaken the hitch mount. Instructions that came with my hitches were very clear on how to use the hardware and I never had any issue with them. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by madman View Post
                          I bought a toyota corolla 1996 vintage.....there are no threads in the subframe to bolt the hitch to it.???
                          I suspect that the vintage of your car was from before Toyota started putting threaded holes in the subframe to make trailer hitch installation easy.

My 1999 Toyota Solara was "trailer hitch ready". And that probably isn't a car that very many people put hitches on...

Comment

late Late respons sorry!! The bumper is removed opening the rear sub frame to access the nuts or bolts that mount the hitch i ntoyotas, They have holes in the subframe but the nut threads i nthem are usually rusted at least mine were, By removing bumper yo ucan get in and securely fasten the hitch.

Comment

Hell, my 2nd gen Prius has a trailer hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X