X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monarch 10EE vs. Hardinge Toolroom Lathe

The Practical Machinist BBS is ga-ga over the
    Monarch 10EE. I've never used a 10EE but I
    use a Hardinge Toolroom Lathe at work all the time. What is the big difference?

More horsepower, but I think the Hardinge is prettier myself.

I used to get to use a Hardinge Toolroom lathe myself, they are wonderful machines. But they aren't as heavy as the Monarch.

Comment

I have located a Monarch geared head 17x62 lathe. 5 horse. Quick change.
      He wants about $500 for it.
      I don't know if I can move it.
      It is suppose to weigh about 2500 lbs. and has a good size footprint.
      I really need to pour a slab to set it on...

Comment

I have to be doing something wrong. I never see machines, lathes or millers for the prices I see other folks are finding. Any $500.00 machine I've looked at here would be good for a boat anchor much like the Delta Rockwell I just recently took out of service and replaced with a 13" Clausing for $2500.00. Granted the Clausing is in very good to excellent condition and I did buy it from a fellow in the next town who is a buyer, seller, repairer of used machinery so I may have paid than if I had bought it any other way. It weighs about 1500 lbs. If I found another in the same condition for $500.00 I would buy it instantly because I could resell it the same day for $2000.00 or more.

A 17" Monarch might be a bit large for the home machinist. However if you can use a lathe of that size and it is in good condition and the apron isn't falling off, no broken gears in the headstock and the ways don't look like a camel turned upside down. For $500.00 I,d sure as hell find a way to move it. One method comes to mind, a car hauler with the roll off bed, would make short work of moving said lathe from point A to point B.

That's enough whining for now my jealousy is showing. On to other things.

Today I busied myself making some 7/8 X 14 locking rings for some old Hollywood 30-30 reloading dies. After the lathe work I split one side with a 1/16th slitting saw.
        Then counterbored, drilled and taped for an 8X36 socket head cap screw to pull it together and lock it in place. Of course I did this after taking Wife and Mom out to dinner.

Paul G.
        Paul G.

Comment

I would not complain about having either. Win - win. The Hardinge comes with a comfy chair, DRO, Lexan chip shields/splash guards, and a three day onsite training course. Who the hell wants a Monarch (re-read first sentence)?

Comment

msrm
            Send one of each to my shop and I'll let you know how they compare...after a suitably loooong evaluation!

Seriously though, I think you'd find that many who are "ga-ga" over the 10ee would be about the same for the Hardinge. Just happens to be a Monarch forum there.

I'd love to have either one!

Comment

I love the Hardinge for threading but I hate
              the long distance between the tailstock
              and the chuck if you are drilling. The
              Hardinge is excellent for turning down dowel
              pins or other hardened things. The Monarch
              is definitely heavier. I've heard prior to
              the Practical Machinist that if the drive
              goes out you need 5K to replace it. OUCH!!
              The simplest and neatest little lathe I still
              use is my dad's 10" Southbend tool room lathe
              I wish they didn't cost so much (Last time I
              looked 16,000 dollars with no tooling from SB
              My dad's is a 1956 model except for a little
              wear on the bed and a badly worn cross slide
              lead screw (1200.00 from SB OUCH OUCH OUCH)
              it is a neat little lathe. It still makes
              money for us.

Comment

Martin,
                A 17x62 lathe of any make is going to be a lot heavier than 2500#. Better check real close I have a 16 x 60 import that goes 4000# or better it makes my 4000# forklift grunt real hard.

I have a 10EE and would fight to the death for it. I also own a hardinge 2nd operation lathe which is the same platform as the toolroom hardinge. The Monarch is a stronger lathe and capable of much heavier work. Both are fine machines and I would say that in the home shop you can't go wrong with either machine.

The Hardinge lathe is for sale email if you have interest.

[This message has been edited by C. Tate (edited 05-13-2002).]

Comment

I frequent machinery auctions. It is not at all unusual to see larger lathes and other similar items go for very low prices. A 17" Monarch at $500.00 would not be unusual.
                  The cost of moving being a large factor.
                  A very sad thing to see is a 24" shaper in excellent condition go for $25.00. Nobody wants them but the junkman.
                  I agree on checking the weight of that Monarch though, these things are pretty stout.

msrm; make a new leadscrew. Cost $0.00.

[This message has been edited by JCHannum (edited 05-13-2002).]
                  Jim H.

Comment

Martin,

Betcha that Monarch will go closer to 5,500 than 2,500 lbs. Is it a 17" machine or does it just swing 17", if it swings 17" it is probably classed around 15". Used to run a CK12 which would swing somewhat more than 12", wonderful machine it was. If its a 17" Monarch not just 17 swing it might beat the 5,500 mark.

I also used to run this 18" Lodge and Shipley which had a 18" chuck, and it had enough room left to grab an 18" diameter. Buy an 18" lathe these days and it might clear 18 1/4.

A roll back would make quick work of moving this machine, more and more wrecker services are using them. Used to be that tractor dealers had them, still do, but here our tractor dealers are thinning out.

Comment

Working...
                    X