No announcement yet.

PVC or CPVC: Best Abrasion Resistance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC or CPVC: Best Abrasion Resistance?

I have been replacing the broken feet of my shop chairs with PVC pipe tees.

I am about to do the third pair now and have purchased two 1/2" tees for the job. But while at the store I wondered if I had chosen the best ones for the job. The CPVC fittings seemed to be about the same size or wall thickness but I don't know if there is any difference in the mechanical properties, specifically the abrasion resistance. I have noticed that the first pair that I used in the photo above have begun to wear to a noticeable amount. Does anyone have any idea if there is any significant difference here?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

That's a nifty idea especially for lawn use but I wonder why you don't use end caps instead of tees for cement floors. I would be concerned with side loading splitting the vertical portion if weight is placed one side of the tee like on broken/uneven concrete or a bit of refuse.

CPVC is more brittle and will probably crack on uneven surfaces even faster. Wear may not be noticeably different but I would think the more compliant PVC would be more durable and stable. Plus, I don't care for the creme color. Too many Earth tones in the shop might lead to the wimmin' folk moving in.

Eddie "Thread Killer" daGrouch (YouTube channel)
    Smithy CB-1220 (Clark CL500M)

Sometimes ya gotta re-invent the wheel to learn how to make wheels.

Comment

Are the sizes of the T's the same? If you've got a good fit with PVC, you may not get the same fit with CPVC. CPVC is distinctly thinner than PVC for the same size pipe, and as I understand it they're designed to not couple together because of the different properties.

Comment

I used walking stick ends on my old draughtsmans stool, they have lasted the concrete well, inventive solution all the same
        Mark

Comment

daGrouch,

I tried standard replacements but they broke almost faster than the originals. End caps? Well, I wanted a broader area of contact to distribute the load from my fat a##. The ones pictured have lasted for over two years so it seems to have been a good choice.

Puckdropper,

They didn't just fit. I had to drill them to size.

Then I used epoxy to hold them in place.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Sounds like the regular PCV is probably best. Thanks.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Get some schedule 80 tee's, they will have a thicker wall thickness and be dark grey in color.

Comment

If you're ok using pvc for the feet, then maybe some solid maple would be a better answer. You could buy some dowel and still use the hole saw to prep the diameter.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It's a Wal-Mart, el-cheapoo chair. Not worth that much effort. My $0.33 PVC Tees will be about right.

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                  If you're ok using pvc for the feet, then maybe some solid maple would be a better answer. You could buy some dowel and still use the hole saw to prep the diameter.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.

Comment

Working...
                  X