30$ diamond wheel grinder for tungsten tig rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30$ diamond wheel grinder for tungsten tig rods

Title says it all, on sale at Horror Freight and 20% coupon, came out to 30$
    I got the idea from others on youtube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember to sharpen TIG electrodes longitudinally so marks
    run along length of cone/point, not circumferentially around
    the cone/point.

Comment

Eddys spot on with that (though I've done the naughty way), the scratch marks act as little troughs for the flow of electrons, I went to sylvania tungsten and they had a big display showing photos of it and how the rare earths stabilise the arc..
      Watch you don't get thoriated dust in your lungs etc, it's an alpha emitter, radioactive to us lot, bad
      Lanthiated or cerriated are ok
      I now hate my spell checker more than our prime minister.
      Handy little gadget, esp if you dab your electrode often, I never do that ��
      Mark

Comment

Hmm. How does it work?

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
          Hmm. How does it work?
          I opened the mysterious looking box and took some pics of the powertrain.

Comment

I always wondered what those Chinese ponies looked like. You know the ones that they use to measure horsepower for those 5 HP 10 amp compressors.

Originally posted by Glug View Post
            I opened the mysterious looking box and took some pics of the powertrain.

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Why does the picture on the box look totally different the the item your showing.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman View Post
                Why does the picture on the box look totally different the the item your showing.

RB211's photo shows the unadorned blue 'cube/tombstone'
                with none of the light grey or beige sharpening attachments
                installed around the periphery as shown in the product photo
                on the carton.

Comment

All that plastic crap is supposed to be used for scissors, drill bits, chisels, etc for sharpening. The small diamond wheel has diamonds on the periphery, as well as the face, so yes, you can sharpen your tungsten correctly. Chuck the tungsten in a small hand drill, spin it as you sharpen it

Comment

Kind of funny. We had a guy here that bought a $600 welding helmet, a $300 tungsten sharpener, meticulously cleaned the metals he was tig welding. His welding still looked like crap. Was supposed to be a good stick welder too. He built a heavy steel mixer base. When I heard him fire up the arc air torch I knew this wasn't going to be pretty. Must have been a Star Trek fan because that 3/4" thick plate was about a warp 7!

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                      Chuck the tungsten in a small hand drill, spin it as you sharpen it
                      A couple of drawbacks:
                      1. The unsupported length of a new or little-used electrode
                        projecting out from the drill chuck.
                      2. The prospect of creating circumferential grind marks
                        - certainly at typical full drill rotation speeds.

As an alternative, consider a shop-built sleeve/fixture for gripping
                      the TIG electrode in a way that supports most of the length while
                      insulating fingers & hand from heat of grinding and permitting easy
                      & slow rotation against the flat face of a diamond wheel such that
                      marks are left longitudinally for optimal electrode tip configuration.

Some commercial examples of this idea include pin vises that have
                      been adapted to hold electrodes and the StiloTig electrode holding tool.

Here are two references on the subject of grinding TIG electrodes

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                        All that plastic crap is supposed to be used for scissors, drill bits, chisels, etc for sharpening. The small diamond wheel has diamonds on the periphery, as well as the face, so yes, you can sharpen your tungsten correctly. Chuck the tungsten in a small hand drill, spin it as you sharpen it
                        I would suggest that you don't use the drill. If the tungsten is spinning quickly it will have spiral grooves from the grinding wheel surface. You really want the grooves to be parallel to the length of the rod. It's easy to slowly rotate the tungsten by by twirling between thumb and forefingers?

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                          Kind of funny. We had a guy here that bought a $600 welding helmet,
                          a $300 tungsten sharpener, meticulously cleaned the metals he was tig
                          welding. His welding still looked like crap.
                          "All hat, no cattle"

I get it - fancy equipment is no substitute for experience.

Perhaps the world's finest TIG welder could make an acceptable
                          pass with a poorly prepared electrode - ground circumferentially
                          on a steel-contaminated silicon carbide wheel to an unrecommended
                          tip configuration.

But he'd have an easier time of it, given a well-prepared electrode.

Comment

I have spun tungsten in a cordless drill many times with no issues of the unsupported length or spiral grooving. I will say my method for doing it was holding the drill so the tungsten faced up, this lead to tungsten/grinding dust to find its way into the chuck. Probably not the best for a drill you really like.

Comment

30$ diamond wheel grinder for tungsten tig rods

I don't think my drill can spin fast enough, just tested it out, the grind marks look correct, not swirled off to the side. For the unsupported segment of the electrode, I do hold it with my fingers. I bought this because my electrodes are destroying my grinding wheels that I use for my lathe bits, and I don't want cross contamination.

Comment

Working...
                              X