Ot: Hop rod pogo stick wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ot: Hop rod pogo stick wanted

Hello all. I've been searching for a HOP ROD pogo stick. This is the kind that runs on HOP ROD fuel. Some say it was gasoline or someother liquid fuel. They were made commercially for sale in the late 70s to early 80s. If any one here has one and what's to part with it, I have a warm home for it.
    Thanks

.. Single cylinder (Diesel ignition?) engine that you use to hop around on.... That sounds AWESOME... (And dangerous.. but mainly AWESOME)

Anyone got videos of one in use?

Sounds like it wouldn't be that hard to make yourself, heavy duty spring, cylinder porting, little gravity fed carb.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

there are many vidios.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajaUGlHUZ00

If someone posted plans I would make one.....

Comment

Saw one at Cabin Fever , 2015. I begged the guy for a demo, no luck!

TC

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
          Saw one at Cabin Fever , 2015. I begged the guy for a demo, no luck!

TC
          He was probably recovering from knee replacement surgery

Comment

Originally posted by ahidley View Post
            there are many vidios.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajaUGlHUZ00

If someone posted plans I would make one.....
            ... need more power!!

Something like that, except with gasoline engine...
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Oh riding a mini pile driver, such a good idea, fence posts look out, no more sledgehammer
              Mark

Comment

I had a plain Jane pogo stick years ago and it went almost as high as that fuel powered one without any fuel. I once hopped around the block on it. Over 1000 hops without stopping. One side was a gravel street and the ground was too soft for jumping on the grass. Ah, the joys of youth.

The following video showed a much more advanced model capable of 8 foot hops. And still no fuel, just an air spring.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

The Vurtego looks much superior to the Hop Rod. The V3 is $300 and surprisingly, has a perfect 5 star rating on Amazon.
                  Here is the link for a V4. The third picture shows a cutaway view. Definitely reproducible.
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...5F546WVDPKAKQM

A replacement piston is $15.
                  http://www.vurtegopogo.com/pogo-parts/

In use:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_4T2jq6H9E

Whoever builds one (and surely someone will), please post pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
                    ... need more power!!

Something like that, except with gasoline engine...
                    I see your super pogo and raise you a death pogo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya5EwJXeBKc
                    Andy

Comment

The diesel powered one is great. The heavier you are the more compression in the cylinder you will get so a more powerful jump. If I got on one I might not come down for an hour!
                      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Goods luck finding an original Hop Rod. They're very collectable in any condition.

Comment

Looks like a disaster waiting to happen for someone like me.

Thirty years ago I recall someone showing up at work with a rather ordinary pogo stick. At break time some of the guys were trying it out. The shop manager, a sort of heavy guy, like I am now, came forward: "Let me try that." Predictable results - pretty good success, until the sudden crash. He wasn't injured, but kinda banged up.

Seems that I would have learned from watching that event...

Six or seven years ago I attended my granddaughter's birthday "skating" party. My daughter rented the ice for an hour and invited everyone. I had played hockey as a youth, but had added about 80 lbs. since then. At first, I wasn't going to skate, but then tossed caution to the wind and rented a pair of skates. I was impressed when I discovered that I remembered all the hockey moves. Skated forward, backward, sideways - the whole deal. My daughters were astonished. My sons-in-law, most of them hockey players, were impressed. Everything went great until I crashed. Didn't break anything, but everything hurt - for a long time.

I wonder how many of you old guys would succumb to the temptation to try a pogo stick.
                          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

You're a machinist so build one or more, probably sell well & the patents expired I bet.
                            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                            country, in easy stages."
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                              Looks like a disaster waiting to happen for someone like me.

Thirty years ago I recall someone showing up at work with a rather ordinary pogo stick. At break time some of the guys were trying it out. The shop manager, a sort of heavy guy, like I am now, came forward: "Let me try that." Predictable results - pretty good success, until the sudden crash. He wasn't injured, but kinda banged up.

Seems that I would have learned from watching that event...

Six or seven years ago I attended my granddaughter's birthday "skating" party. My daughter rented the ice for an hour and invited everyone. I had played hockey as a youth, but had added about 80 lbs. since then. At first, I wasn't going to skate, but then tossed caution to the wind and rented a pair of skates. I was impressed when I discovered that I remembered all the hockey moves. Skated forward, backward, sideways - the whole deal. My daughters were astonished. My sons-in-law, most of them hockey players, were impressed. Everything went great until I crashed. Didn't break anything, but everything hurt - for a long time.

I wonder how many of you old guys would succumb to the temptation to try a pogo stick.

There is only a few beers between "nope never gonna do that" and "hold my beer, I want to try it".
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X