New price of our old machines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New price of our old machines?

I was looking up a part on the Clausing site when an ad popped up for a 14"x40" Clausing lathe for $17k+ & just wondered if there's a site that shows prices tools sold for when new. My Pacemaker is a 1951 & I'm curious what it cost.

Originally posted by flylo View Post
    I was looking up a part on the Clausing site when an ad popped up for a 14"x40" Clausing lathe for $17k+ & just wondered if there's a site that shows prices tools sold for when new. My Pacemaker is a 1951 & I'm curious what it cost.
    I looked up my 1945 Pacemaker. It's a 16 by 30 with a taper attachment. IIRC, in today's dollars, it was around $100k or maybe $150k? I can't remember now, but at the time I remember thinking I could buy a house in the Midwest for the cost the machine new.

Comment

You can try finding old trade mags on Google. Popular Mechanics is in there, and there are a lot of ads for shop sized machines.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Well my long bed Myford ML7B cost father £168/10/5 in November 1965. Unfortunately I've got no idea what my HLV or Beaver mill cost.
        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
          I looked up my 1945 Pacemaker. It's a 16 by 30 with a taper attachment. IIRC, in today's dollars, it was around $100k or maybe $150k? I can't remember now, but at the time I remember thinking I could buy a house in the Midwest for the cost the machine new.
          Today's 20" x 60" tracer lathe equivalent is $60K for a usable lathe. NOT CLOSE to the class of a Pacemaker.

http://www.haascnc.com/mt_spec1.asp?...TOOLROOM_LATHE

Comment

A freind bought a Zimmerman 24" disc grinder/sander from a 82 year old German pattern maker that bought in 1973 along with a Zimmerman wood lathe he paid $36000.00 cdn.It looked like a heavy metal lathe,in 4000lb. range,that fellow was very very skilled and held journeyman tickets in 6 different trades.

Comment

I have two Logan 200s built in the 1940s I paid a few hundred for one and was given the other.
              I figure that the two would cost me at least $8,000 to $10,000 new today.
              I probably wold not buy them at that price.
              At least I saved them from the scrapper for now.
              Bill
              I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Wow! My Pacemaker is 54" BTCs with the taper attachment. Look what you can find the big ones for. I have a CY Monarch & 2 Warner Swassy #3s. Too bad they don't appreciate like classic cars & property. Thanks guys!
                Last edited by flylo; 06-08-2016, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Kearney & Trecker 2CH Universal milling machine with conventional lead attachment: In 1951 the list price was $8360. 2016 inflation calculated price: $76.932
                  Kearney & Trecker 25hp No.6 Ck vertical milling machine: In 1951 the list price was $22.355. 2016 inflation calculated price: $205.718

I have the catalogue and price list for all the K&T milling and boring machines from 1951 if anything else is of special interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sim View Post
                    Kearney & Trecker 2CH Universal milling machine with conventional lead attachment: In 1951 the list price was $8360. 2016 inflation calculated price: $76.932
                    Kearney & Trecker 25hp No.6 Ck vertical milling machine: In 1951 the list price was $22.355. 2016 inflation calculated price: $205.718

I have the catalogue and price list for all the K&T milling and boring machines from 1951 if anything else is of special interest.
                    Very cool! Is there a 2D listed in there? Always wondered what my 1952 2D went for new...

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                      Very cool! Is there a 2D listed in there? Always wondered what my 1952 2D went for new...
                      There sure is:
                      Model 2D Rotary head milling machine: $11.965. $1035 extra for Power feed to table.
                      Cherrying attacment: $645
                      Universal milling and extension attachment: $775
                      Model K dividing head:$1665
                      You could easily spend $20K on a 2D with some equipment. So almost $200.000 today.

Comment

If you really want an eye opener, you can actually still call or write Monarch and ask what it would cost you to purchase a "new" 10EE. Be sitting down, have taken your meds, and have a drink at the ready when you do, though...

I should add, that when you get the price, and consider the machine against what is available today, it actually is not so far out of line ( last I heard the price ), though.

Comment

When made the 10EE was uncompromising, money was not included in any calculations according to my old metal shop teacher, I have seen one run but to be honest I couldent afford a new 6' chuck rated for 2500 rpm, the one I saw sounded like a jet engine spinning up, I should imagine with the correct tooling micro inch surfaces would be easy, you'd roughen them up on a cylinder grinder!, there aren't many available over here, the electronics are regarded as unrepairable these days due to the availability of vacuum tubes and flux capacitors and whatever strangeness lives in the bowels of one, I'd be tempted to buy one if they were more common, they are in my top three, monarch DSG in third Anything else
                          Mark

Comment

I have a K&T #3 Horiz I bought for $100+ $100 for the rollback. I'm going to have to buy a bow tie so when I go thru the shop I can be a bit more presentable to the high value inhabitants.

Comment

There sure is:
                              Model 2D Rotary head milling machine: $11.965. $1035 extra for Power feed to table.
                              Cherrying attacment: $645
                              Universal milling and extension attachment: $775
                              Model K dividing head:$1665
                              You could easily spend $20K on a 2D with some equipment. So almost $200.000 today.
                              That's great little tidbit of information. Thank you! I hate to ask it of you, but would you be willing to convert your documents to an electronic format and perhaps send them to someone like http://vintagemachinery.org/ to host? I'm sure there are a number of us who would love to page through an old catalog with the price list!

Comment

Working...
                              X