Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hvlp paint sray gun I need some good fair advice , understandable to the newcomer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hvlp paint sray gun I need some good fair advice , understandable to the newcomer ?

I want to set up and buy a reasonably nice but not expensive hvlp spray gun. I don't need or want the very best that money can buy. Neither do I need the very worst spatter porridge ejaculator on sleeping tablets. I want a cheapish model as I wouldn't use this a lot but it needn't bring on the best finish so long as it sprays smallish objects and gives abetter than brush finish. It will not be for cars just small machines and things I am working on. I don't really UNUSUAL FOR ME want to go down the second hand route unless it is a genuine reason for sale and not a worn out piece of polystyrene made at home during the great war as an experiment and left untouched since. Seriously if someone bought one and for good reason never used it much and wanted to see it being put to good use then that is fine. I am afraid I suppose of a worn out used for twenty four seven for the last decade without ever cooling down. any advice as usual would be most welcome. I have little experience in modern spray paint weaponry. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I've been happy using it for wall paint on household woodwork, YMMV. Read all the glowing reviews. I've found the cheap cup guns described as HVLP to be fine, but nothing special. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-h...gun-47016.html

Comment

I've found any cheap gun is good for the likes of mortals, the Devilbiss guns are good but expensive, the good thing is that you can get repair kits which include needle packing, seals etc so don't discount a used gun, you can get the appropriate fluid tip easily
      Binks guns are good too
      Use a gun filter, available for Gravity or suction
      Mark

Comment

I have actually had great results with harbor freights very inexpensive purple HVLP gun. Painted an entire car with one, five coats. Easy to set up, get a good pattern and clean. JR

This car...

Last edited by JRouche; 06-10-2016, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I have used a sata for the last 7ish years. Before that I had one of the cheapest ebay guns that was available.

That ebay gun did just fine on some car panels and whatnot I painted. I still use it for crappy jobs. It is a fine gun for most things. I just got the sata on a ok price and wanted a good gun so I can get the best possible job on nicer cars.

Get one and be happy.
          Andy

Comment

I have been happy with the HF gun. The tricks are to get the paint mixed right and to clean the gun up before you put it away. This one one of the HF tools that is not to bad.

Fred P.........

Comment

Originally posted by Fred P View Post
              I have been happy with the HF gun. The tricks are to get the paint mixed right and to clean the gun up before you put it away.
              Or not. For $10 you can treat them as disposable!

Comment

That spray gun you posted a link for
                is listed for 9.99 at harbor freight right
                now. I've been wanting to get my Bandsaw
                painted, for that price you could just throw
                it away and buy another instead of cleaning it.

Comment

I had a friend at the airport who painted several planes with the HF HVLP gun & it worked great.
                  I should clarify it's this one Chicago Electric Power Tools - Item#44677
                  Last edited by flylo; 06-10-2016, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                    I had a friend at the airport who painted several planes with the HF HVLP gun & it worked great.
                    I should clarify it's this one Chicago Electric Power Tools - Item#44677
                    That's the one I linked, with a blower so you don't need a high volume compressor on site. On reno's I have a little guy for nailers that can't power a paint gun. This painter seems cheesy and all plastic, but it holds up.

Comment

10 bucks is indeed approaching "throw away" status, but I'm afraid my DNA just wouldn't allow me to do that. I'd probably clean the darn thing before I threw it away.

Honestly, most of the inexpensive HVLP guns are clones of each other, and most of them work well for the weekend warrior. I have painted several cars and trucks with a cheapy using acrylics, urethanes and even the occasional thinned rustoleum enamel. Alway had good results. I just can't justify a deVilbiss FLG-4 for $265 and up.

Comment

Working...
                      X