Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alistair, - I saved you some hassle today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alistair, - I saved you some hassle today.

Long day.
    Went to fetch that surface grinder today, set off about 4.30 am
    Got down there for about 7.30 am. The place was in the back of beyond, imagines about 7 miles of roads all narrow single track winding through villages with thatched roofs.
    No other way to get to this place.
    When I got there it was on a pallet after all the hassle I had but he wouldn't let me have it. He swopped it for a flimsy thing that collapsed when it was 1/2 way in the van and was rocking all over.
    Finished up having to smash it up to get it stable.
    Steady run back with the van wandering all over the road caused by the grooves made by the trucks.
    It was dancing about that bad around Oxford that three guys sprung up on an island with placards reading 3.8, 4.2 and 4.8

Had to take the motor, motor mount and table off when I got back as the fork truck wouldn't lift it.
    It's stood on the deck at the moment awaiting it's new home.

Pics later

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 07-13-2004).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

"7 miles of roads all narrow single track winding through villages with thatched roofs."

Almost sounds like my driveway (minus the villages, of course)
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I thought thatched roofs went out of style centuries ago.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike W:
        I thought thatched roofs went out of style centuries ago. </font>
        Still plenty around out in the sticks.
        Problem is most of these are now listed buildings so you are forced to keep them original and in good repair.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Sounds like the last service call I went on for a gravel pit,12 miles back in the swamp,I kept driving and driving untill the road got so narrow the tree limbs started hitting the truck
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That's terible John can't see how he wouldn't let you have it!!! why was that? As I see it you bought it it was yours.
            He can't just say no sorry I won't let you have it.
            Unless you of course agreed to take the other one, I am not sure what you are saying exactly .
            Still sorry to hear you had all the trouble pal I am now glad it was not me.Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Sorry to invade your post John but I can't seem to post anything myself I have tried to post something now for almost a week aned it comes back saying this.
              We cannot process your posting, because you have exceeded the maximum number of images allowed per post. The current maximum is 8.

Hop to: Select a Forum or ArchiveList of Forums:GeneralNetworkingThird HandList of Archives:Archive

what does this mean I wrote to Neil he doesn't understand it either I am not posting images just this note below.

Comment

It still wont accept it does anyone understand this I am not posting images Alistair

Comment

I bought my milling machine and a lathe as most of you know a year ago last may.
                  I have been sitting with it under my carport for all that time finishing my woodshop (well almost finished) .
                  This year I was determined to get my machine shop made which I am converting from my carport.
                  Which I never use for the car.
                  I have been busily making it from the inside as most of it is already up and standing but this means moving machinery doing a bit and then moving it again.
                  Several weeks ago a major landmark was achieved, when I got a platform made at the back and the mill and all the other heavy stuff, apart from my lathe, was moved onto it.
                  I have one major problem which is from the rear of my carport to the front there is a very large gradient as I live on a steep hill.
                  In was almost beginning to think that I would need to wait till next year, as many people who promised me they would move my lathe which is a ton and a quarter have repeatedly let me down (typical tradesmen).
                  The latest guy who promised to move it,I have been waiting patiently for nearly two months as he has a forklift which has a long reach but as we all know like most workmen he is always away somewhere else and never comes when he promises.
                  Anyway I was getting a bit down and feeling that I would not see any action as my lathe was sitting at the front of my carport and stopping the construction of the new floor.
                  I had a visit today unexpectedly from my best friend Irving we go way back to schooldays together he was my best man at our wedding etc, after lunch took a look at it,( he works with heavy machinery).
                  He is an engineer with hydraulic bus lifts/ramps you know the kind you drive buses onto to be fixed well he said to me (I couldn't believe it)it looks quite heavy Al what is it a ton ?I said a ton and a quarter .Where do you want it to go he asked there I said pointing to a spot some six to eight feet away meaning the lathe would have to be turned also He took off his jacket and said never mind the forklift in any case it won't work on this steep slope.
                  A point I had not thought of, I will soon move it for you he said,I said you're joking that thing is heavy.
                  Within the hour it was sitting where I wanted right from the start.
                  This has pleased me more than anyone will know and I am now able to build around it and get my workshop finished Alistair grinning like a cheshire cat

Comment

I found out what it was and will post it myself now too many smileys Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X