No announcement yet.

some of my friends here who are knowlegable please educate me for free? Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some of my friends here who are knowlegable please educate me for free? Please

I discovered some old !993 magazines I brought back from Florida in the USA when I was last there. Anyway it has been a joy looking at the old cars many of them fully restored and some needing to be fully restored with others in between. Could someone explain the terminology you might come across that we don't use here in the UK. For example Sedan, Coupe, Cadillac, Limo,
    Touring, solid lifters, N C ,roadster. coupe deVille sedan de Ville .Any more you could also add please do I am really enjoying looking at these. One of the magazines is called OLD CAR TRADER. they also have some on houses too I like looking at them especially the 1993 prices trying to compare them to todays estimated costs. Could I get these perhaps a few sent to me would the magazine people do that today. I would love some of the houses and cars especially old American I love the old pick ups. I love the old belair convertibles and older packards too especially the Elliot ness convertibles also the Lincoln continentals and town cars I hired a lincoln town car for a month back then mad the suspension on that things pleased the children when it went up and down over every bump. my favourite POSSIBLY is an 1948 Chrysler convertible Town and country with wooden sides. Wow that is beautiful. let me know guys ? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair, I will try to explain what I know(or think I know).
    A sedan is a 4 door, what you in the UK I think would call a saloon car. A coupe would be a 2 door car.
    A Cadillac is a make of car, like Ford or Chevrolet. Limo would be an abbreviation of Limousine, not a make but a stretched body style of upper market car, such as a Cadillac, that is usually reserved for dignitaries or special occations. deVille is a model of Cadillac, and can be in sedan or coup body style. Roadster would be a convertible or ragtop, with a soft top that can be lowered or a hard top that can be removed altogether. Belair is/was a model of Chevrolet.
    Lifters would be an engine component that 'lifted' the valve in the engine to open it . They ride on the lobes of the camshaft.
    That's about all the terms you mention that I am sure of the definition. I know others will respond.

Cuck

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
      Could someone explain the terminology you might come across that we don't use here in the UK. For example Sedan, Coupe, Cadillac, Limo, Touring[...]
      -Sedan is a typical car. Two or four doors, with two rows of seats. (Two in front, two on back, generally.)

Couple is typically a term for a hardtop (not convertible) with two doors.

Cadillac is a brand name, General Motor's "luxury" line, with generally slightly larger and more heavily optioned cars.

Limo is a limousine, a longer car with a roomy rear passenger section, typically used to convey rich types around.

Touring, in the States, is considered a kind of race car, used for long-distance races. It can also mean a touring car, meaning a roomy car meant for travelling.

[S]solid lifters, N C ,roadster. coupe deVille sedan de Ville[.]
      -Lifters are followers that contact the cam lobe, and transmit that motion to the pushrod. Most lifters today are hydraulic, meaning they can operate with zero clearance to the cam, reducing noise and wear. Early lifters were solid- really just iron cups. They required frequent adjustment, and had to run with a certain amount of clearance, which tended to be fairly noisy.

For many years there, racers stuck with solid lifters, in part because they were lighter (allowing the engine to rev faster) and because they believed some horsepower was lost to the hydraulic action. Through the 70s and 80s, if you ran a solid lifter cam, you were pretty much by definition a hot-rodder running a race engine.

They've fallen out of favor over the years, as hydaulics are a much better choice.

I'm not sure what NC might stand for, need more data on that one. Coupe de Ville and Sedan de Ville are both Cadillac models. I believe the original term meant something like "car for the town", and it's possible/probable the term is more generic there in Europe, rather than meaning a specific brand of car.

Doc.

.Any more you could also add please do I am really enjoying looking at these. One of the magazines is called OLD CAR TRADER. they also have some on houses too I like looking at them especially the 1993 prices trying to compare them to todays estimated costs. Could I get these perhaps a few sent to me would the magazine people do that today. I would love some of the houses and cars especially old American I love the old pick ups. I love the old belair convertibles and older packards too especially the Elliot ness convertibles also the Lincoln continentals and town cars I hired a lincoln town car for a month back then mad the suspension on that things pleased the children when it went up and down over every bump. my favourite POSSIBLY is an 1948 Chrysler convertible Town and country with wooden sides. Wow that is beautiful. let me know guys ? Alistair[/QUOTE]
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

NC may refer to North Carolina, a state where the weather is kind to cars. Just a WAG.

Comment

Sorry but if you want the remaining acronyms solved you'll have to pay $1.95 per acronym to the international meta-acronym annual-socials society that oddly highly objects to being called IM-A-ASS. No more free learnin for you.

J/K. :P
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Sorry to inform you Black Moons but I own the copyright for "IM-A-ASS" but for the small fee of $10 per day I'll rent it to you.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
              Sorry to inform you Black Moons but I own the copyright for "IM-A-ASS" but for the small fee of $10 per day I'll rent it to you.
              Sure but at those rates I'll have to declare bankruptcy right about.. *looks at watch*..... Now.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Bel air is in California, Lincoln was a President, coop is where we keep our chickens,Cadillac was an American Indian I think.

Steve

Comment

Cadillac, Plymouth, Pontiac all in Michigan & if you don't believe me you can go to Hell, Climax, Bad Axe, Paradise or Christmas MI.
                  I have a big box, I bet 50+ pounds of old Hot Rod & Muscle Car mags I love to give you Alistair but have no idea what shipping would be. I'll check on it.
                  Last edited by flylo; 06-14-2016, 09:59 PM.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Alistiar, the answer to these and other more compelling questions have already been asked and answered and require only that you type in ..."American vs British automotive terminology" into your internet search engine.

Here are a couple of links that came up near the top.

http://www.team.net/sol/solterms.html

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...o-terminology/

I won't print my translation of a suspension trunnion, after one let go on my Triumph catapulting the front wheel into the nether regions of my front fender.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

A rocker is a sill, the hood is the bonnet, the trunk is the boot and fenders are wings.
                      And when they say Aluminum what they actually mean is Aliminium ;-)

- Nick
                      If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Your turn now Alistair,

Please define "hoast" as used in David Rorie's poem "The Pawky Duke". All I can find is something like a cough, but I don't think that's it in this case.
                        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          ....into the nether regions of my front fender.
                          Was that an offside wing or a nearside wing Willy?
                          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Is it possible that your "NC" should be "NA"? If so, then it would mean "normally aspirated", meaning no supercharger or turbocharger. If it had either, it might be referred to as "forced induction".

A supercharger is also known as a "blower". So a blown engine either means it has a supercharger, or you kept your foot in the gas too long and it flew apart.

It might also help you to know that what us Yanks refer to as "shock absorbers" you blokes call "dampers", which is actually a more accurate name.

That's about all I got.
                            Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                              Was that an offside wing or a nearside wing Willy?
                              Offside wing Milton, I stand corrected.
                              I will admit though that I nearly soiled my knickers as it happened at a most inopportune time, as these things usually do.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Working...
                              X