No announcement yet.

OT electrical help with camper trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some more digging in the unit and found this schematic. Would seem that it connects to positive from this diagram. FWIW, it looks like the green and red plugs to black appear to be molded and probably not an after market mod. Again, the trailer does not have brakes. it is about 1600 lb empty.

Resistance measurement across green wire to white ground wire.

resistance across green wire to chassis bolt was about 670 with meter set to 2000 ohms

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
      this is done with trailer brakes and vast trailers with DC refrigerators. trailer brake batteries are small for a reason. you only want them to work for thirty seconds while the trailer dives for the shoulder of the road after the hitch breaks. if you tie it into the vast Group 65 batteries I use for the winch on my car hauler, it would sit there smoking until the battery cables melted.

[/url]
      The OP is talking about a charging wire for the trailer's deep-cycle battery. This is a perfectly safe practice if done through an isolator.

Comment

There shouldn't be any resistance across 1 & 2 unless the 7-way is connected to the tow vehicle. Then you'll be reading the resistance of the tow vehicle's battery which will probably smoke your meter. The resistance on the green wire is nothing more than the output circuit of the converter. Stop poking around with your meter on resistance and switch it to DC Voltage.

Plug-in the shore power cord with the 7-way disconnected from the tow vehicle and check the output voltage of the converter (black wire). Then follow the wire path to the camper battery connector and check the voltage there (green wire). That circuit appears to be charging the camper battery from shore power.

The diagrams have all the info you need. Start checking voltages not resistance.

Comment

Did I mentioned that I was electrically changed? Thanks everyone for your help. I'll try what Ken and Carl suggest.

Comment

This is pop up camper no brakes. I can not see the diagram that well but the camper more than likely has a 4 wire flat connector, no charging of the battery from the tow vehicle. The battery will charge from the Convertor when plugged into 120 volt. If the wire is really green and OEM it may not be a ground. The diagram clearly shows a black wire and nothing green.
            Last edited by wmgeorge; 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM.
            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

The diagram shows the 7 way plug.

One wire from the 7 way plug (one that plugs into the truck) will have 12v+ when the key is turned on in the vehicle. This wire is for charging trailer batteries and will be ran from the 7 way plug to the battery with the fuse on it (the green or the red wire). The other 12v+ wire (green or red) would then go to the converter in the camper to run said equipment in the trailer. When plugged into 110v the converter like said converts the 110v to 12v to run the equipment and also sends power to the battery for charging. I always get a spark (or resistance) threw my "power in" wire as well because I believe it "powers up" the converter.
              Andy

Comment

Not necessarily on a DC system. They often use black for ground/negative.

I would not use green in a DC system unless all the other colors had been used already and I really needed another color to allow easy tracing of the circuit. It can cause confusion.

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                Green is generally a ground wire. That is what I would suspect.

Brian
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

You keep saying that you are taking resistance measurements. I would caution you to completely disconnect the battery and any charging device (converter?) before doing this. If the battery or another DC source is connected you may instantly destroy your meter.

Another caution about making DC measurements. A meter uses a small (1.5V to 9V) DC Voltage to measure resistance. The point is this is a DC Voltage and polarity does matter. So if you reverse the meter's leads, which reverses the polarity, then you can get widely different resistances readings at the same point. Keep this in mind when making resistance readings.

You have the wiring diagrams (they are NOT schematics) so you should be able to figure this out with some head scratching.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by fishfrnzy View Post
                    Again, the trailer does not have brakes.
                    According to the wiring diagram, it does- or did- have electric brakes. Maybe someone hacked up the original wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      Not necessarily on a DC system. They often use black for ground/negative.

I would not use green in a DC system unless all the other colors had been used already and I really needed another color to allow easy tracing of the circuit. It can cause confusion.
                      I have found that when it comes to 12v systems and automotive no color is safe for any assumption. Honda for one loves to make black wires (sometimes with yellow stripe) 12v+. They also primarily use green wires for the 5v+ systems.

I assume nothing in auto/trailer 12v wire colors. If I am checking wires I check them all for voltage +/-.
                      Andy

Comment

I think there's an error in that diagram where the breakaway is. Braking can be had through the 7 way connector to the vehicle, but not from the on-board battery. If the breakaway goes open circuit when activated, then it is normally shorted, which would remove voltage from the brake wire by shorting that output from the trailer brake control in the vehicle. If the breakaway goes shorted when activated, then it is normally open and will short the current to the brakes just when it's needed, but still not getting activated by the on-board battery. Black from the breakaway should go to black on the 7 way, not the blue as shown. Unless I'm completely out to lunch-
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The old breakaways were wired as shown. (Can't speak on newer styles.) They had a self contained battery in a box. When the pin was pulled, it shot 12v+ from that battery straight to the brakes. The 7-way was completely out of the picture since on a "breakaway" there won't be a 7-way connection.

It was up to the owner to keep that battery charged. It was nothing more than an add-on accessory.

Oh, and you could use a breakaway kit on any trailer with electric brakes. Not all trailers have a battery like a camper, etc.
                          Last edited by CCWKen; 06-18-2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            The old breakaways were wired as shown. (Can't speak on newer styles.) They had a self contained battery in a box. When the pin was pulled, it shot 12v+ from that battery straight to the brakes. The 7-way was completely out of the picture since on a "breakaway" there won't be a 7-way connection.

It was up to the owner to keep that battery charged. It was nothing more than an add-on accessory.

Oh, and you could use a breakaway kit on any trailer with electric brakes. Not all trailers have a battery like a camper, etc.
                            Still that way today. Some breakaway batteries are charged with a little solar panel, some through the brake-light circuit, and some not at all.

Comment

I think breakaways are only required on dual axles or more. Single axle trailers may have them, but not required by law.
                              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by IdahoJim View Post
                                I think breakaways are only required on dual axles or more. Single axle trailers may have them, but not required by law.
                                Jim
                                It likely depends on specifically where the trailer lives and works.

Comment

Working...
                                X