VPN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN?

Saw this on Gizmag and it sounds intriguing...but is it worthwhile?
    https://store.gizmag.com/sales/proxp...ifetime_061616
    Len

I use VPNs every day, even on one right now as I type this; I have a tunnel into the corporate network, then back out. Worth it? depends on what else they really do for you with traffic filtering, but remember, once you hit their termination point, you are back out onto the open internet. In my case, I have a bunch of expensive Corp hardware looking at what I do and filtering for me that "gets in the way" now and then.

This one is probably more of interest to those illegally downloading and publishing whatever... they can hide, somewhat.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 06-18-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
      once you hit their termination point
      What is that please?
      Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
        What is that please?
        A VPN like this will encrypt your network data in transit and send it thru a tunnel. The other end of that tunnel is the termination point. Once it exits the termination point its often referred to as 'clear text' where as the data in the VPN is 'cypher text'. The other end could be your employer, or a VPN service provider or a piece of equipment you have on your own network. But the point is that at some point you need "the data" to actually ride in the clear on the internet after is exits the termination point.

Solutions like this do not hide everything you are doing from everyone they simply hide what you are doing from the access layer network provider you are connected to. Example the free WiFi are various restaurants. Think of it as a bridge to someplace secure...

This would be a good read. And the first four paragraphs are fairly understandable for the notice.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

Comment

VPN's are virtual private networks. Yes, they act like a tunnel, encrypting your data, to the termination point, which is the last point before it hits the open internet. Great for pirating software, also great if your in a foreign country, and you want to watch HBOGO, it will appear as if you are in the USA, bypassing the checks.
          They are also great if you get banned on this forum, they can make you look like some one else, say, someone in Canada, or Mexico, etc.

Comment

Lifetime subscription? that is lifetime of their company as long as it is raking in enough to pay the big fat wedge to the CEO........

Comment

Working...
            X