Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT, To say thank you.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT, To say thank you.

    Re Old School's thread on loose ends, and my Win 7 question. Thank you to all who offered advice, some I could follow, some I couldn't, my knowledge of the inner workings of computers is too limited for me to follow all of it. The pictures got moved, the desktop restored, and room was made on C: to install Ubuntu as dual boot with Win 7.

    I chose "do something else" instead of use the whole disc, and thought I was following every step to do the install as dual boot, checking off each step as I did it, but I messed up somewhere. Ubuntu 14.04 got installed and Win 7 got wiped. No tears, there is off site backup, and most of the photos are still on the sd card in my phone, so I reloaded them from that.

    I'm happy to report that there is only one Windows machine in this house, wife doesn’t wish to try to learn to use Linux, I told her it would be easier than learning Win 10, but she wasn't buying that.
    Last edited by J Harp; 06-23-2016, 12:16 AM. Reason: Add reference and punctuation.
    Jim

  • #2
    Actually your thank you is quite educational to me in itself, I'm left behind in the computer world by the various Windows packages, to make things worse the daughter has a Mac desktop I haven't even touched yet, I'm more scared of that than driving a crane (her words as I just borrowed an 80t mobile to put my new roof on, she never thought I could!, I do have a licence btw and took out public liability insurance as the jib was way up in the sky) I think I'll get a copy of Linux and have a go, I'm sick of Windows, I'm struggling to find a way to run win exe stuff on a Mac without opening my wallet if possible, and the new subscription programs like Adobe gall me to say the least, Photoshop is like a mortgage these days.
    There are some knowledgeable guys here to be sure. And I must admit to not following up by letting people know the final solution myself, I've been just plain rude myself, I'm going to try to fix that as you have, there is no excuse for it really and I'm glad that it's been mentioned, there aren't that many of us shed dwellers left.
    Thanks
    Mark

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by boslab View Post
      there aren't that many of us shed dwellers left.
      Thanks
      Mark
      I think you are being optimistic there Mark. I immediately thought cave dweller would be more appropriate!
      Location: The Black Forest in Germany

      How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by boslab View Post
        Actually your thank you is quite educational to me in itself, I'm left behind in the computer world by the various Windows packages, to make things worse the daughter has a Mac desktop I haven't even touched yet, I'm more scared of that than driving a crane (her words as I just borrowed an 80t mobile to put my new roof on, she never thought I could!, I do have a licence btw and took out public liability insurance as the jib was way up in the sky) I think I'll get a copy of Linux and have a go, I'm sick of Windows, I'm struggling to find a way to run win exe stuff on a Mac without opening my wallet if possible, and the new subscription programs like Adobe gall me to say the least, Photoshop is like a mortgage these days.
        There are some knowledgeable guys here to be sure. And I must admit to not following up by letting people know the final solution myself, I've been just plain rude myself, I'm going to try to fix that as you have, there is no excuse for it really and I'm glad that it's been mentioned, there aren't that many of us shed dwellers left.
        Thanks
        Mark
        Slap some servo's on that 80t, then run it with g-code.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by J Harp View Post
          I chose "do something else" instead of use the whole disc, and thought I was following every step to do the install as dual boot, checking off each step as I did it, but I messed up somewhere. Ubuntu 14.04 got installed and Win 7 got wiped. No tears, there is off site backup, and most of the photos are still on the sd card in my phone, so I reloaded them from that.
          If "do something else" was create and install to a new partition then Windows probably survived. If that's the case, adding an entry to the
          bootloader should allow you to access Windows again.
          Location: Long Island, N.Y.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the good words Mark. I try to treat others as I would want to be treated, but sometimes I can become a bit lax and forgetful.

            Linux does have a learning curve, but there is lots of help available, at least for Ubuntu which is the only variety I have tried. Your biggest problem would probably be deciding which variety of Linux you want, there are many varieties, Ubuntu seems to be one of the most popular, Linux Mint also gets a lot of praise.

            Programs and other software is easy to install. Most of what you'll need is in the package which you download to install Linux, you just choose what you want, and install it, most things will install pretty quickly.

            I'm just a user, not a programmer or developer, there are lots of terms, acronyms, and ways of doing things which I don't know the meaning of, but by searching and asking questions I usually get by.

            RichR, create and install a new partition was what I was trying to do, but I thought I had failed. When I have a bit more time, I'll search for how to add an entry to the bootloader. If I don't find the answer, I'll come back and ask you. Thank you for the hint.
            Jim

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Jim
              Open a terminal and enter:
              Code:
              fdisk -l > disks.txt
              That's a lower case L not a one after the dash. That will create a file called disks.txt that you can open with an editor so you
              can copy and paste the results and post them here.
              Location: Long Island, N.Y.

              Comment


              • #8
                OK, first time I've tried posting with Tapatalk. I was getting nowhere with fdisk, did some snooping and tried gdisk, now if I can just post the pic.



                Update grub returns this.



                I think the last image may hve been the poor quality one.

                I can't see anything in either of these to show that win 7 is there. Might be that I just don't know how to read them. Thanks for trying to help.

                Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                Jim

                Comment


                • #9
                  Trying again.

                  Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well back to tapatalk to fix that, posted two pic's of the same thing.

                    Think I got it this time, Pic's on the phone are so small it's hard to tell them apart.
                    Jim

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What does this return:
                      Code:
                      gdisk -l
                      Location: Long Island, N.Y.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                        I think you are being optimistic there Mark. I immediately thought cave dweller would be more appropriate!
                        Given I bricked up the front windows as they are being moved her indoors said its like living in a cave so I think you got it nailed there, I have been asked what on earth are you doing so I told them that the Welsh government are bringing window tax back as it's the only way to pay for assembly members holidays in Bermuda
                        Mark

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          find a program called "rescatux grub rescue" ...iso file so you have to burn it to a cd. Boot the cd and follow your nose and it will try and find all operating systems on your computer and give u a door to open them thru grub.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            It says something like problem reading, file doesn't exist. I'll post pic after Dr. appt.
                            Jim

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Return from gdisk-l



                              Juicealone, what version of rescatux grub rescue should I download, there seems to be lots of versions?

                              Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk
                              Jim

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X