CNC, A Poll for who has it, who doesn't, who want it, who hates the idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC, A Poll for who has it, who doesn't, who want it, who hates the idea

A quick search didn't show me if something like this has been done before. I thought it might be interesting to see what the general feeling towards CNC in our home shops is like. So here's a general poll aimed to spotting all the new CNC geeks and old manual only crusty curmudgeons among us as well as the various levels of the fence sitters.

Not saying one is better than any other. Just curious about how many are like me and have no interest in CNC and how many embrace the new CNCorcery and what posts on the fence between the Great Unwashed in the middle happen to be sitting.

EDITED TO ADD- It looks like I can't edit the poll to add an option. So here's a "write in option" that you can post into a regular reply if you like. Thanks to MrFluffy for the suggestion;

Manual and CNC play well together in my shop.
    Don't have it, don't want it. Why should the machines have all the fun?
    18.58%
    Don't have it. But curious and might get it some day.
    27.43%
    Don't have it yet, want it BAD ! ! ! See me shaking?
    7.96%
    Have/had it, don't/didn't like it.
    0.00%
    Have it, LOVE it. Want more ! ! ! !
    46.02%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by BCRider; 06-28-2016, 01:51 PM.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

I currently have a CNC machine, but its just barely in the definition- I own a 1 axis CNC machine- a programable twisting machine for ornamental iron. (a Hebo)
    But I am saving my pennies for a CNC mill. I really want something like a used Haas or Fadal, a 16x20 or so, and I would use it for all kinds of things.
    I actually do all kinds of obsolete hand processes- blacksmithing, working sheet metal on a shot bag and with an english wheel, and so on- but think CNC is very compatible with those processes. Forging hammer tooling, for example, would be a big CNC use for me.

Comment

Needs another option, have it, love it, have manual machines too still, love them for being manual too. Theyre all tools to achieve ends.
      My lathe is manual, I have a manual mill, shaper, but then keeping them warm is a cnc bridgeport and a wire edm. I'd like to get a cnc lathe for profiling shapes easier when funds allow , but I wouldn't get rid of cranking handles on my manual one to achieve this.
      Now confused if I'm a crusty curmudgeon for having a shaper still and enjoying using it, or a geek for having cnc machines and a 3d printer. Or maybe we are what we are, and hsm'ers don't always fit a neat stereotype

Comment

Put me in with the curmudgeons. I had to make this decision recently because I only just started. I think CNC is great, but I already spend enough hours sitting at a computer. Both would be ideal, but space, space, space!

Comment

It's gratifying to see that there's at least one other Crusty Curmudgeon out there besides me even early on in this poll. WELL DONE BROTHER! !

Part of the reason why I don't really want to play with CNC is that I like metal working for the sake of learning the skills required to work with the metal. I enjoy feeling the pressure of the cutting tools reflected back through the hand wheels and adjusting my efforts based on that feedback.

Oh sure, there's a lot of metal working knowledge needed for CNC. But once the choices are programmed into the machine there's no real metal working skills required. And that's the part that I like.

And... it's a hobby for me. If I were making even a part time living from my shop it would be a totally different story.

PS- like MrFluffy above I also have a shaper I got from my father a few years ago. I keep it around not because it does anything special that I can't do just as easily or even more easily on my mill. I keep it around and use it because it's simply different from the mill and I enjoy the process of shaping the metal in the different manner it provides. And frankly it's sort of theraputic to watch the arm sliding to and fro and hearing the SCHIPPT! of the cut and the little "clack" during the return pass as the clapper falls back into position for the next stroke. And frankly it's just hypnotic to watch the pawl linkages stepping the table across the stroke. In fact.... It sort of makes the part I'm producing almost secondary! ! ! !
          Last edited by BCRider; 06-27-2016, 04:26 PM.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            Part of the reason why I don't really want to play with CNC is that I like metal working for the sake of learning the skills required to work with the metal. I enjoy feeling the pressure of the cutting tools reflected back through the hand wheels and adjusting my efforts based on that feedback.
            It's like comparing calligraphy to desktop publishing. Both can give beautiful results, but in different ways.

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            And... it's a hobby for me. If I were making even a part time living from my shop it would be a totally different story.
            Definitely.

Comment

Don't have it.
              Probably won't get it.
              Very much like it.
              Really no need for it.
              Repairs and one offs anymore.

Comment

The questions don't fit with me.

My position is not far from pinstripe. But when I'm at the computer, I only like to use software I've written myself, so I foresee myself writing my own g-code interpreter and spending another bunch of hours messing about with that. Not to try to out do what's been written, but I usually come up with something I want done that the available packages don't address too well, do a little routine for myself, and then start to expand it.

I do like the idea for the control of laser or water jet devices, and for more interesting non-conic turning, and especially for laborious milling. But for turning and threading, well, I enjoy the fun.

So, to sum myself up, "Like the idea, but apprehensive about all it involves."
                Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Im a computer geek, electronics nerd, love machine tools, love 3d cad, it's really shocking that I don't have it yet, it's a perfect meld of all of my hobbies wrapped in one.
                  I don't have plans of buying any more manual machines without the intent of CNC.

Comment

Have it, love it, want more. I have manual machines & really love and want more of them too. I just love tools in general.

I get a perverse pleasure out of designing something from scratch & having a machine obey my commands. When it works, it's fantastic. We won't talk about the other side of the coin.
                    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Far too clever for my old brain, it would cost me a bomb in smashed kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Carm View Post
                        Don't have it.
                        Probably won't get it.
                        Very much like it.
                        Really no need for it.
                        Repairs and one offs anymore.
                        Ditto for me.

Money for tools not a problem. Space and time are. Got way more work than I can handle these days doing manual machining in spare time while working full time at 72 and counting. . .
                        Cheers,

Frank Ford
                        HomeShopTech

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
                          It's like comparing calligraphy to desktop publishing. Both can give beautiful results, but in different ways......
                          Very nicely put and with an excellent pair of contrasting examples. I like that...
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I'd find a CNC mill very hard to live without now that I have it. The biggest advantage compared to manual machines is the ability to easily make curved profiles. This applies even in the case of one-offs. There is no more fiddle-farting around with rotary tables to make rounded profiles, like con-rod ends.

Comment

Voted "don't have it, don't want it, why should the machines have the fun"
                              simply because it's a hobby. I understand the folks who do CNC as a hobby
                              and in another life, I probably would join with them or if I was trying to make
                              a living at machining. But by day I am a computer nerd and the last thing I
                              want to do when not working is to spend yet more time at a keyboard. I don't
                              even have a calculator in the shop & I truly enjoy deciphering the
                              measurements on a Vernier.

Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X