Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oilers for oil ball joints on machine tools!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Tiers
    replied
    TIG'r:

That HF may be OK, but......

It has (in the pic) a bottom seam around it.

In my experience any oiler with a bottom seam will leak oil. Some oil, more oil, or lots of oil. Nothing stops it but solid unseamed metal, and I sometimes doubt even that.

I sure hate those oil rings on the bench. Friends don't let friends buy seamed oilcans........

Leave a comment:

• cbarker
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mike Burdick:
    cbarker,

What do you mean by "oil ball joints" ?

The only oilers that I can think of are like the following image, which are ball valve oilers. Is this what you mean?
    Answer to your Question!! Yes, that is what they are called, I didn't know there correct name so I had to make up something that would best describe them!
    </font>

Leave a comment:

• ACF
    replied
    If your talking about those gits cups, check out my post in the sharing tips thread about converting a grease gun to a high pressure oil gun.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• TIGer
    replied
    I bought a 2 small pressurised oiler @ HF over the weekend.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=36629

Leave a comment:

• Mark Jones
    replied
    I got this one last week
    he has others.....he puts one on every other week

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

all the best.....mark

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    I made a new tip for one of my oil cans to fit these oilers.

It has a conical end, slightly on the steeper side of what you would expect to use. I made a narrow crosscut in the end of the tip.

The cone end presses the ball down, and "seals" against the sides of the hole.

The crosscut slot in the end allows oil to come out even though the end is pressing the ball down. A flat end will just seal against the ball, forcing you to use even higher pressure to move the ball and inject oil.

Leave a comment:

• Joel
    replied
    Nothing specialized is required here as far as I know. A regular good quality oil can with a flexible spout has always worked well for me.

Leave a comment:

• nheng
    replied
    If you want a ball valve oiler that's cheap and works great, you can get the small, hand operated type that looks like a giant automatic center punch. It is shipped with Emco (Austrian) and Harrison lathes.

Stihl saw dealers carry it for around $7 (USD).

It also works well with light greases but is a nuisance to pack by hand.

Den

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    I recall reading a tip about how a particular brand of grease gun can be used with oil. On my mill/drill I find it easier to take a paper towel with oil on it and apply to the dovetails.

Leave a comment:

• Arbo
    replied
    The old fashioned oil cans with a really small spout work for me. You invert them, and push on the springy bottom of the can to dispense oil. All you need do is exert a light pressure on the ball with the rigid spout, and it works fine. I don't know if you can buy them new anymore, but flea markets and antique stores have lots of them. I think they came with old sewing machines.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisAttebery
    replied
    cbarker,

Mcmaster Carr has oil guns and oil/grease guns. The cheapest one they carry is about $55. Take a look at their site.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Mike Burdick
    replied
    cbarker,

What do you mean by "oil ball joints" ?

The only oilers that I can think of are like the following image, which are ball valve oilers. Is this what you mean?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 07-14-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• cbarker
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
    Could you post a picture of your father oiler? That may help us all to figure out what you may need.

Jerry
    </font>
    Does anybody know where I can buy any heavy duty hand pump oilers that are designed specifically for oiling the oil ball joints on machine tools(Vertical Mills, Mill/Drills, Etc....) I need one for my Mill/Drill! The only ones that I have found are for filling Oil Filler Caps. I bought 2 of the Goldenrod pistol-grip type, in 2 different capacities, hoping that one of them would work, but the ends of the tips are to big, and the finger operated pump lever bends to easily! I haven't found ANY oiler that is designed specifically for them Oil Ball Joints on machine tools!! I am trying to find a heavy duty industrial type with the flexible or angled neck if they make them anymore! My dad had a non-pistol-grip type of oiler that he bought for his Smithy lathe, you can use it to oil ball joints but it leaks through the bottom seam(it's over 30 years old, and there is no manufacturers label on it, it has a capacity less than 1 Pint , it has a screw-on tip, and is the angled neck type not the straight neck type, Just your regular type of oiler! Its has a copper finish on the outside!) I will ad a photo of dads oil pump as soon as I can fine the cable for the digital camera!)

Leave a comment:

• cbarker
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
    Could you post a picture of your father oiler? That may help us all to figure out what you may need.

Jerry
    </font>

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Jerry

Leave a comment:

Working...
X