No announcement yet.

Need help with Craftsman / Atlas 618 lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Such good response. Thanks everyone for the input so far. I'm looking forward to hearing more.
    A lot of good references for me to get lost in also.
    It's a good group.
    paulh

Comment

Wow - I just found a matching headstock casting on ebay for $30. "excellent condition" says the description. Pics look good.
      I guess I just saved some work.
      Now I just have to wait for the box to arrive in the mail.
      more later.
      Thanks again to this group.
      paulh

Comment

My dad worked for Mettler Instrument a swiss company that made precision balances. He brought home an Atlas 618 when I was about 10, around 1963. A machinist who worked there machined the mounting plate for the new chuck dad bought, and taught me how to grind a tool bit and the basics of lathe operation. The Atlas user manual was a very good resource for the beginning machinist. I used the lathe to build minibikes powered by lawn mower engines. I made threaded axles, sprocket spacers, front end steering spindles. Good times for a kid!

Comment

Originally posted by phubbman View Post
          Flylo - are your friend's headstocks on lathes he's using, or are you suggesting they might be available? If one is available, I'm interested in getting more information about it.
          Thanks.
          paulh
          No they are for parts & PM me if you want his # but looks like you found one.

Comment

Working...
          X