A force/pressure gauge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A force/pressure gauge?

Is there something I could use the measure the amount of force I push on with my hand? Specifically pushing on a handle down to about a horizontal position, but would like to exert the same amount of pressure each time. Maybe in the 50-60 pound range.

An old school torque wrench. Or a fish scale if you can set up for a pull rather than a push.

Comment

Well, you've got force gauges, postal scales, torque wrenches. Take your pick. If you just want to apply the same amount of force each time a click-type torque wrench would work.

Steve

Comment

Bathroom scale.---Or, get a coil spring and push it until the required force is transmitted. --. Measure length of spring at that pressure. Set up so that whatever force is applied moves the spring that far each time.
        Last edited by brian Rupnow; 07-02-2016, 07:06 PM.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just stand on your bathroom scale, push down on the handle, when you weigh 60 lbs less then that is 60 lbs on the handle.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by phil burman View Post
            Just stand on your bathroom scale, push down on the handle, when you weigh 60 lbs less then that is 60 lbs on the handle.

Phil
            Oh Phil..... now you're making it too simple!

Pete
            1973 SB 10K .
            BenchMaster mill.

Comment

I don't know if it is practical in this case or not, but you gotta love it. Of course the technique is limited by your weight.

Originally posted by phil burman View Post

Phil
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

This is a handle on a press for swaging bullets. When seating cores, I want to exert the same pressure each time. So the handle doesn't lend itself a spring or using a "pull" type scale. I was thinking of something I could put on the top of the handle and use my hand and push to a set point.

Comment

A torque wrench as te handle will be ideal, but don't you really want the same POSITION , i.e. shape of the core for every piece?

Comment

You could use a click type torque wrench & not even read have to the scale.

Comment

Wouldn't the bullet and the core have to be precisely the same every time in order to use just the insertion pressure to determine proper fit? Isn't the relative position of the bullet and the core more important?

Comment

Core seating is the critical step in making an accurate bullet. There are variances in both the cores and the jackets, so pressure is important. Plus there is clearance between the core seat punch and the ID of the jacket. You need to seat the core fully so it expands to the die ID, but if you mash it too hard, the lead core can bleed by around the punch. You can actually mash a core so hard it either starts to expand the die somewhat, or the jacket breaks off. So a consistent pressure is beneficial. Usually the maker develops a rhythm which is good, but again there are variances with what we do. I'll try and fabricate a means of using a torque wrench and see how that goes.

Comment

I also would use a settable torque wrench in place of the present handle. Or put a square or hex stud on that handle's axis and just snap the torque wrench on it when needed.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                          X