Chrome plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chrome plating

I am doing a complete restoration of a very old Shopsmith(1940's) and I would like to have the nobs and levers chrome plated. The table and several small parts are aluminum. I have two questions,

(1) Does anyone know of a reliable firm that does chrome plating(small jobs) in the Atlanta area?
    (2) What is the best way to clean aluminum(oxidation) parts?

Don't know about prices in the US but way to expensive here it's cheaper to remake the knobs in stainless or just polish it

Comment

Chrome plating has gotten frightfully expensive, mostly because EPA regulations have increased the cost of operating plating shops. Many shops have ceased operation rather than deal with all the heavy metals safety requirements. Where I worked more than 25 years ago spent a lot of money for equipment to treat the effluent from the plating operation.

Jim

Comment

Electroless Nickel is durable for all but impact loads, and you can very easily do it yourself at home.

Comment

If you are willing to go mail order, Advanced Plating in TN does a good job and most of their business is mail order from car and motorcycle guys.
          NJ used to be filled with chrome platers. Only one left. EPA chased them all away.

Comment

Situation is the same over here.
            I've noticed there is very little chrome on modern cars and bikes.
            Looks like chrome plating will soon be a forgotten industrial process.

Comment

We had a chrome plating shop near me.. I visited them as they where holding an auction selling everything off.. they had a vacuum chamber big enough to walk into, saw it getting carted off on a flatbed truck.. Sooo many bolts holding the doors on lol.

Such a shame to see it all go.
              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Probably going to be at least $200 per part. A car bumper is $2500 +.

Comment

I had 20 items chrome plated the other day. All small ,cylinders of 30mm diameter by 45mm long. Total cost 15 dollars.

Comment

Plunger, where are you located and do you have any contact information for the company that did you work. These are very small parts and could be easily mailed. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by theGallery View Post
                      Plunger, where are you located and do you have any contact information for the company that did you work. These are very small parts and could be easily mailed. Thanks.
                      Saayman danks electroplaters. But these are brass self polished parts. If you ask them to polish them it will be alot more
                      http://www.sdelectroplating.co.za/

Comment

Working...
                      X