Silly me... forgetting the details.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly me... forgetting the details.

I have some triangle carbide toolholders. And a bunch of different inserts.

Changed the insert recently, and had all kinds of trouble with the cut.... noise, poor finish, work hardening, stalling the lathe, everything. These inserts are ones that generally give me the very best finish of all inserts, so it was particularly puzzling. i was wondering what sort of horrible material I had there. Especially since I had already bored a large through hole in the part to a half thou or so with no issue.

Finally the light went on.....

These inserts have no front clearance under the edge, They are apparently for a holder with some tilt to it. And I forgot I have to grind some clearance on them to use in those holders...... once I remembered and did that, I got the familiar almost polished finish which I expected.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Were these inserts possibly made to use in a holder that had a shim seat to establish clearance.

Comment

Or negative rake TNxx , not TPxx

Comment

Evidently. They are the best inserts for general use on steel that I have ever used. Fantastic finish on most types of steel, and they tolerate stuff that chips others. Wish I had more of them.

Middle one in the pic

Last edited by J Tiers; 07-09-2016, 12:59 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

from the pic it looks like there is front clearance....but obviously you'd know having them in front of you. I've used those and agree with you, the positive rake and big radius work well.....anyone know the correct way to describe them, like exactly enough to be able to buy some?

Comment

There is a little it of clearance, maybe. OK on smaller parts, but at 4" diameter, it was rubbing. The holder holds them on-center. Of course they may not all be the same. I started an "ID this insert?" thread for it.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X