Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary?

I am gobsmacked to read that as one of her first actions,
    the UK's new PM has given Boris Johnson the nod to become
    Foreign Secretary.

To members here who hail from that part of the world, I say
    I don't understand. Viewed externally, the man is a serial
    buffoon. Lovable to the electorate in a 'Rob Ford' sort-of-way,
    likewise someone who careens along through one disaster to
    another. Most recently for remaining, until persuaded to support
    leaving and then admitting he hadn't a clue about how to proceed
    in the eventuality while announcing that he intended to tender
    his name for the PMship, before being scuttled by his supporter(s)
    and then just tendering his departure.

Now, whack-a-mole, up he pops again?

Politics seems to be devolving towards electing/appointing the least appropriate person to be in charge of the most important stuff.

I think it's just two billionaires somewhere, with a private bet as to which of them can get the worst possible person in the most important position.

The winner gets $1 from the loser.

Comment

I think the ability to change ones mind is a good thing. We have politicians who stick to bad decisions for fear of looking weak, the mind boggles.
      I wish we had politicians as smart and so openly stating the pros and cons of their view.

Comment

I'm for an intelligence test every candidate has to pass before qualifying for the ballot.

I suggest as the challenge: a calf high boot full of pi$$ upright on the floor. The candidate gets three tries to pour out the contents.

Never happen. There would be endless argument over the size and brand of the boot, right or left, the source of the contents, fresh or stale, where to pour it, how much time for study, how much residual contents allowed, access to the actual boot for rehearsal, everything but the idiocy of the test conditions.

Comment

As an Englishman I have to say that I think that we have got off quite lightly. America might well end up with Trump, now that would be something to worry about!

Comment

Boris is an excellent choice don't be fooled by his appearance, he is extremely clever he brought a lot of business to London when he was mayor. if you doubt his ability look at his academic history, he's a very astute guy.
            As for Trump you don't get into the position he's in by being a fool.
            Give credit where credit is due.

MBB

Comment

Yes, Donald is clearly doing the "say whatever he thinks the audience wants to hear, regardless of how ridiculous it is, or how blatant a lie it is".

He has no actual clue about Republican party policies, he just guesses at them. Like the "punish women who have abortions" statement, then someone explained the policy to him, then it was "women are victims, punish the nurses and doctors".

He wanted to leap in front of the 'terrorism'/gay killing topic after the nightclub shooting, and he said he would prevent people on both the no-fly list and the terrorist watch list from buying guns. Of course, neither list has anything like due process attached to them for removing yourself from the list if you are on them incorrectly. Again, someone slowly explained it to him, then it was "we would patch up something with due process". And he also did the "I wish some good guy with a gun had been there to shoot the guy"...but even the NRA specifically has a policy saying that they do NOT want people bringing their guns to places where people consume alcohol.

He's clearly just blurting out whatever to try to win, ending with "I'm great, everyone who is against me is a liar".

On other forums I follow, most people that are pushing for Trump to win are gun-nuts, and only want Trump because he is less likely to nominate people to the Supreme Court that will "gut the 2nd amendment" than Clinton most assuredly will. They could care less if he wrecks the economy or starts a war or anything else, all that's important is who gets nominated to the SC.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                I am gobsmacked to read that as one of her first actions,
                the UK's new PM has given Boris Johnson the nod to become
                Foreign Secretary.

To members here who hail from that part of the world, I say
                I don't understand. Viewed externally, the man is a serial
                buffoon. Lovable to the electorate in a 'Rob Ford' sort-of-way,
                likewise someone who careens along through one disaster to
                another. Most recently for remaining, until persuaded to support
                leaving and then admitting he hadn't a clue about how to proceed
                in the eventuality while announcing that he intended to tender
                his name for the PMship, before being scuttled by his supporter(s)
                and then just tendering his departure.

Now, whack-a-mole, up he pops again?

If you want to resign your closest political rival to the scrape heap while keeping your hands clean you give them a high profile job that they are ill suited to perform - Maybe. Teresa May is a sharp cookie, she has a plan.

Labour party in total collapse , is that David Milliband I see coming this way, armour shining and riding a white horse. I always think he looks a bit like Mr. Bean!

Phil

Comment

Well he does speak and write perfect Russian, either he stays and spy's or defects to Russia
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by dave_r View Post
                    On other forums I follow, most people that are pushing for Trump to win are gun-nuts, and only want Trump because he is less likely to nominate people to the Supreme Court that will "gut the 2nd amendment" than Clinton most assuredly will. They could care less if he wrecks the economy or starts a war or anything else, all that's important is who gets nominated to the SC.
                    -Presidents only hang around for four to eight years. Supreme Court Justices hang around for decades. Presidential or even congressional malfeasance can be reverted/corrected/changed, sometimes as soon as the next election. Supreme Court malfeasance becomes unalterable precedence, not only in and of itself, but in influencing additional legislation down the road.

And unfortunately, the Supreme Court too, has become heavily, nakedly political- examples include Kennedy's obvious and blatant interpretation that upheld Obamacare, and Ginsberg's recent implicit endorsement of Clinton and direct insults toward Trump.

I could live with four years of Hillary, if I had to. I would rather not live with the next 25 years of a heavily-liberal activist Supreme Court if I can possibly help it. Like most people, Trump is by no means our first choice, but he's a damn sight better than the blatantly corrupt Clinton.

Doc.
                    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Normanv View Post
                      As an Englishman I have to say that I think that we have got off quite lightly. America might well end up with Trump, now that would be something to worry about!
                      Whack-a-mole morphs into Thump-a-Trump-in-the-Rump, but then again, we do not really have a very palatable alternative.

Perhaps it is time to visit Canada for 8 years. Or just stop all this lowest common denominator silliness and just have a King.
                      I hear and I forget.
                      I see and I remember.
                      I do and I understand.
                      Confucius (孔夫子)

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                        I'm for an intelligence test every candidate has to pass before qualifying for the ballot.

I suggest as the challenge: a calf high boot full of pi$$ upright on the floor. The candidate gets three tries to pour out the contents.

Never happen. There would be endless argument over the size and brand of the boot, right or left, the source of the contents, fresh or stale, where to pour it, how much time for study, how much residual contents allowed, access to the actual boot for rehearsal, everything but the idiocy of the test conditions.
                        Even if you print the instructions on the heel, they will still screw it up.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Working...
                        X